Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Occupy Galway Group (mod note added)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭prech101

Your quotes are all messed up lp lease fix it it makes it very hard to read.
    Anyways thanks for giving me the answers to some ofthe questions I have wanted answers to for some time now. Are u in the camp yourself?

However a fairer distribution of wealth is stupid why should someone who works hard goes to college and gets a good job have anywhere near the same sort of income of someone no never made any effort. Or why should like bill gates have to pay for other peoples bills. The even distribution is just for people who want something for nothing

"Highlighting this, forcing main stream media to report on it.
    Putting it on the political agenda
    Coming together as a group to try and come up with ideas/plans to address this.
    Supporting other groups, such as action against evictions etc""
    Why don't u highlight it without making the square look like a halting site? Perhaps have a march like every other protestor.
    What ideas/plans have you come up with (other then new ways to make a bong)
    Yeah I have seen what you do for others but again it dosnt require camping out

were did I say that, laziness should be rewarded! Nobody is talking about mass hand outs, of course hard work should be rewarded., think bigger, why does apple have 80 billion cash assets on its books, apart from the fact that this is illegal in Us law (which doesn't seem to count any more)its immoral to pay fooking buttons to those who make your products/profits and hoard all that money like an old miser. What is the fooking point in that,WHY are they hoarding the money thats the unfair distribution of wealth we are talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Hello world

prech101 wrote: »
    "The truth is out there"

well you could use the internet for a while anyways, SOPA will soon end that avenue (if passed)
    Twitter rocks for info and links.

Try reading some books from the likes of Chris Hedges, Noam Chomsky, John Perkins.

Watch a doc called "The inside Job" available free online.

Heres a link from Press conference, European Parliament, Brussels - 01 December 2011
    Crisis: Who is Pulling the Strings?
    - Chi tira i fili della crisi? - Conferenza Stampa, Parlamento Europeo, Bruxelles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLAGC96JyvI&feature=share

Oh Jesus H don't tell me ye are jumping on the sopa bandwagon? I know everyone is agains it but come it's not going to get passed calm down

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Why do you trust those sources?

i don't trust any one source these days my friend, i like to get a number of different views on a subject then draw my own conclusions from that

available facts
    Previous history of source
    What i already know to be true

were did I say that, laziness should be rewarded! Nobody is talking about mass hand outs, of course hard work should be rewarded., think bigger, why does apple have 80 billion cash assets on its books, apart from the fact that this is illegal in Us law (which doesn't seem to count any more)its immoral to pay fooking buttons to those who make your products/profits and hoard all that money like an old miser. What is the fooking point in that,WHY are they hoarding the money thats the unfair distribution of wealth we are talking about.

Perhaps they are saving it for a rainy day? What with all the crap about patents with kodak and Samsung try may need it if a product ever gets pulled. Also apple create thousands of jobs for people all around the world why shouldn't they be alowed to do what they want with their money I don't go telling you how to spend your money

Sent from my iPhone

Oh Jesus H don't tell me ye are jumping on the sopa bandwagon? I know everyone is agains it but come it's not going to get passed calm down

Know a lot about SOPA then do you??

what do you think you know??

• Advertisement

Perhaps they are saving it for a rainy day? What with all the crap about patents with kodak and Samsung try may need it if a product ever gets pulled. Also apple create thousands of jobs for people all around the world why shouldn't they be alowed to do what they want with their money I don't go telling you how to spend your money

Sent from my iPhone

firstly is against US law to hold that much cash on you balance sheet. (you seemed to ignore that little fact!)

Again you seem to wish to put human characteristics on what is a fooking company.,

and why don't you tell the apple employees threatening to jump of the fooking roof that they are lucky to have a job,,

Know a lot about SOPA then do you??

what do you think you know??

About as much as a computer engineer need to know.
    If u want to have that conversation make a new thread for it. But or now let's not have the occupy people jumping on every cause they see

firstly is against US law to hold that much cash on you balance sheet. (you seemed to ignore that little fact!)

Again you seem to wish to put human characteristics on what is a fooking company.,

and why don't you tell the apple employees threatening to jump of the fooking roof that they are lucky to have a job,,

Considering how much money apple make for the US they shouldn't care about what's in the bank. That roof incident was for a diffrent company called Foxconn they only make chips for apple. It's not apples fault that's like saying Kellogg's workers were about to commit suicide so im blaming tesco

• Registered Users Posts: 46 lobes

http://bondwatchireland.blogspot.com/
    Well that retarded because they are a **** up.

So can I take it from this sentence that you do not agree with the €1,250,000,000 payment to Anglo bondholders next Wednesday?

lobes wrote: »
    http://bondwatchireland.blogspot.com/

So can I take it from this sentence that you do not agree with the €1,250,000,000 payment to Anglo bondholders next Wednesday?
    Yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

"The truth is out there"

well you could use the internet for a while anyways, SOPA will soon end that avenue (if passed)
    Twitter rocks for info and links.

Try reading some books from the likes of Chris Hedges, Noam Chomsky, John Perkins.

Watch a doc called "The inside Job" available free online.

Heres a link from Press conference, European Parliament, Brussels - 01 December 2011
    Crisis: Who is Pulling the Strings?
    - Chi tira i fili della crisi? - Conferenza Stampa, Parlamento Europeo, Bruxelles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLAGC96JyvI&feature=share

Conspiracy theorist eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Eman Resu

Doubt Apple make that much money for the US, after all their products are made globally (i.e. asia) as cheap as possible then sold for as much as possible to the US and Europe. Their s/ware division might be in the US but for how long? Haven't read entire thread but I don't see any mention of the "Robin Hood Tax" movement in the UK by either "camp" in this "discussion" why is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 lobes

"Thursday 19th January. Time: 19:00:00 – 22:00:00. Kirwan Theatre
    This week Lit and Deb discusses what is justified and what is not when responding to feelings of dissatisfaction with one's political leaders. One of the major concerns of recent times as regarding arguably unjust impositions upon Ireland's populous is that of the household tax. Having roused mass infuriation within the masses, Lit and Deb poses the question of whether or not it is adequate or moral to react apathetically to these apparent sanctions on civil liberties. To this end, the suggested alternative to be discussed on the night is that of civil disobedience, something which has come to the fore of the public eye of late particularly in the guise of the many occupy movements present around the world.
    Any of those in attendance on the night are free to contribute their own insights into the discussion though all are equally welcome to simply sit back and enjoy the conversation. Hope to see you all there."

Considering how much money apple make for the US they shouldn't care about what's in the bank. That roof incident was for a diffrent company called Foxconn they only make chips for apple. It's not apples fault that's like saying Kellogg's workers were about to commit suicide so im blaming tesco

Are you saying: We should disregard the law when it effects a company or person who is rich!!
    Next level: we should disregard the law when a wealthy person/company takes advantage of a person(s) (wait we already do that with sweatshops,, what about if somebody mega rich abuses a child should we disregard the law then because they are beneficial to a economy. LAWS are there for a reason!
    but it seems acceptable for big corps to ignore them, what about the guy who got 6 months for picking up a bottle of water from the street when the London riots were going on, he couldn't argue that the law should not affect him..... (which by the way is more than any person has got in relation to this mass robbery of the public finances)

You don't think Apple calls the shots in regards to Foxconn,, that's just naive.

I don't have figures to hand, but i would question % wise how much apple pay after tax breaks and the all important Tax REFUNDS

Red_Wake wrote: »
    Conspiracy theorist eh?

You say it like a bad thing!!

nothing wrong with questioning what you are being fed

facepalm.jpg

Are you saying: We should disregard the law when it effects a company or person who is rich!!
    Next level: we should disregard the law when a wealthy person/company takes advantage of a person(s) (wait we already do that with sweatshops,, what about if somebody mega rich abuses a child should we disregard the law then because they are beneficial to a economy. LAWS are there for a reason!
    but it seems acceptable for big corps to ignore them, what about the guy who got 6 months for picking up a bottle of water from the street when the London riots were going on, he couldn't argue that the law should not affect him..... (which by the way is more than any person has got in relation to this mass robbery of the public finances)

You don't think Apple calls the shots in regards to Foxconn,, that's just naive.

I don't have figures to hand, but i would question % wise how much apple pay after tax breaks and the all important Tax REFUNDS

No I'm saying perhaps its a stupid law if the company is making money for the country
    Apple don't call the shots in Foxconn now ur just being stupid all apple do is say I want this much of X by a certain date and I will pay this much and Foxconn says yes or no. Foxconn also make chips for hundreds of other companies

What law are they breaking? I did a quick google and couldn't find anything about it.

Traditionally Apple held very large cash reserves to tide them over the tough times in the IT business cyclical.

What law are they breaking? I did a quick google and couldn't find anything about it.

Traditionally Apple held very large cash reserves to tide them over the tough times in the IT business cyclical.

Yeah I just had a look as well didn't see anything about a law. And I think google has more money then apple and they are not breaking the law

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

That's a bit like saying that Philips staff who manufactured re-badged videos were Blaupunkt employees because Blaupunkt sold the products that they made.

Important distinction, but they're NOT apple employees - they're employed by the company that apple pays to make products.

Edit

The dispute was apparently over a factory that makes parts for the x-box - so stop blaming St Steve of the Jesus/Judas phone and start attacking The Beast of Redmond instead.
    According to the Chinese news site RecordChina, the Foxconn factory, located in the capital of Hubei province, makes Xbox parts for Microsoft; the walk-out caused the production of the XBox 360 to be suspended for several hours, it is understood.

• Advertisement

Corporations only make money for their shareholders, no one else. Yes Foxconn could say no to Apple but how likely is that? You can be sure that Apple used their "bulk" to get those chips made as cheap as possible. A lot of that cash they have in reserve came from American customers, and I'd say Apple paid a tiny fraction of that in taxes to the US Government. The US Government who pay to keep the roads that deliver all those products, who pay the wages of the cops who keep the streets where the Apple stores are located safe. Now that being said Apple are not alone in this, all corporations are pretty nasty pieces of work. For instance Ford had a model car that due to a design flaw stood a good chance of catching fire if rear ended (something to do with where the fuel tank was located) and when it was realised after the accountants and solicitors looked at the figures, that it was cheaper to let a few people burn and pay the resultant compensation than to recall and retrofit the model in question, what did they do? I'll give you one guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,162 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Eman Resu wrote: »
    Corporations only make money for their shareholders, no one else. Yes Foxconn could say no to Apple but how likely is that? You can be sure that Apple used their "bulk" to get those chips made as cheap as possible. A lot of that cash they have in reserve came from American customers, and I'd say Apple paid a tiny fraction of that in taxes to the US Government. The US Government who pay to keep the roads that deliver all those products, who pay the wages of the cops who keep the streets where the Apple stores are located safe. Now that being said Apple are not alone in this, all corporations are pretty nasty pieces of work. For instance Ford had a model car that due to a design flaw stood a good chance of catching fire if rear ended (something to do with where the fuel tank was located) and when it was realised after the accountants and solicitors looked at the figures, that it was cheaper to let a few people burn and pay the resultant compensation than to recall and retrofit the model in question, what did they do? I'll give you one guess.
    Thats life, get over it or you will end up wearing tin foil hats like the rest of the conspiracy theorists or getting brain rot from sitting in camps arguing amongst yourselves like the Occupiers. Companies and corporations make money for their shareholders, end of, if you want a society where no company can gain profits as a result of the workers then go find a Marxist state to live in. Not having a go at you directly eman resu.

Know what you're saying ben, I'm just pointing out to anyone that thinks big faceless unaccountable orginizations with more power than any government are good for us is not seeing the full picture. And yes without them none of us would be having this online debate! I guess T.J was more of a prophet than he was given credit for.
    I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs.
    Thomas Jefferson, (Attributed)
    3rd president of US (1743 - 1826)

Apple paid $8 billion in income taxes in their last financial year. Their income before taxes was $34 billion

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/is?s=AAPL+Income+Statement&annual

I'm not sure if the above would include the property taxes they pay on their stores and offices - in the US those are the taxes that pay for the local police.

It definitely wouldn't include any sales taxes (VAT) collected on the sales of their products.

If anyone is interested in the details they can plough through annual report - see form 10-K. It is 83 pages long.

http://investor.apple.com/sec.cfm?DocType=&DocTypeExclude=&SortOrder=FilingDate%20Descending&Year=&Pagenum=2&FormatFilter=&CIK=

But you don't like being questioned yourself, do you?

No I'm saying perhaps its a stupid law if the company is making money for the country
    Apple don't call the shots in Foxconn now ur just being stupid all apple do is say I want this much of X by a certain date and I will pay this much and Foxconn says yes or no. Foxconn also make chips for hundreds of other companies

Apple has more money on its balance sheet than the US govt does!!
    By law under the SEC a company is not allowed to have that much cash without paying a dividend.

so any law you think is stupid we can ignore
    Foxconn - u really think it works like that,, livin in your head must be real nice

pg633 "Traditionally Apple held very large cash reserves to tide them over the tough times in the IT business cyclical"
    Apple has made profits year on year for the past 15 years,, what bad times are they keeping it for,,

ben.schlomo "Thats life, get over it or you will end up wearing tin foil hats like the rest of the conspiracy theorists or getting brain rot from sitting in camps arguing amongst yourselves like the Occupiers"

I find this slightly sad. Why do you feel the need to attack people who don't think like you. So how is the current way of things working out, happy so far are ya??
    All we are saying is, its not working, there are gaps, lets make it better, not once have I said a company should not make profits or people should not be rewarded for there efforts. but some of the rewards and payouts to these people are disgusting.
    but what gets boring is the same old crap is thrown back all the time, you are Marxist or communist WTF
    I do not subscribe to any "ism" why because none of them have worked.

By law under the SEC a company is not allowed to have that much cash without paying a dividend.

Foxconn - u really think it works like that,, livin in your head must be real nice

pg633 "Traditionally Apple held very large cash reserves to tide them over the tough times in the IT business cyclical"
    Apple has made profits year on year for the past 15 years,, what bad times are they keeping it for,,

ben.schlomo "Thats life, get over it or you will end up wearing tin foil hats like the rest of the conspiracy theorists or getting brain rot from sitting in camps arguing amongst yourselves like the Occupiers"

I find this slightly sad. Why do you feel the need to attack people who don't think like you. So how is the current way of things working out, happy so far are ya??
    All we are saying is, its not working, there are gaps, lets make it better, not once have I said a company should not make profits or people should not be rewarded for there efforts. but some of the rewards and payouts to these people are disgusting.
    but what gets boring is the same old crap is thrown back all the time, you are Marxist or communist WTF

Name this SEC law so the rest of us uneducated plebs can read about it.

I said laws like that are stupid not that they should be ignored just they shouldn't have been created also let me see the source where u have found this law?
    Also yes I know exactly how it works I'm sitting less then 200 meters away from a production line and all they do I recieve parts just like apple receives parts from Foxconn. And if u have such a problem with Foxconn open up ur pc or laptop or phone and rip out the Foxconn chop because the majority of electronics have some sort f chip that came from foxconn

Red_Wake wrote: »
    But you don't like being questioned yourself, do you?

were is your evidence for this statement.

probably contra to your image of me, I am not sitting around a fire with my laptop singing "Give peace a chance" and smoking a bong.
    people who disagree with my views/beliefs seem to try and put everybody into a little box to make their arguments more conniving to themselves. Why??

I do work so my whole day is not focused on boards.ie(well not all of it!!:) )
    i have no probs debating any issues, in case you haven't guessed i'm all for free speech, and especially to those I do not agree with.

perhaps this is a good question to ask yourself. How open are you to new ideas/methods or do you find you are pre programmed to think a certain way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Eman Resu wrote: »
    ...all corporations are pretty nasty pieces of work. For instance...

Nonsense. With that same logic, all governments are evil (based upon the sheer evil so many have inflicted on their own citizenry) yet you advocate Apple and the likes paying more to such monstrous organisations.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement