Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Occupy Galway Group (mod note added)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Niall0001

Either way, if the appaling levels of absenteeism in the HSE were even so much as halved it would save the state €100m a year. Absenteeism full stop costs the state €1 billion a year.

http://www.irishhealth.com/article.html?id=18174

So those lucky enough to HAVE jobs cost the state almost a quarter of what the unemployed do through not bothering their arses turning up. Social welfare payments are expected to DECREASE this year also. In either event, pensionsers, children, widowers & the ill cost the state EVEN MORE than the unemployed.

http://economic-incentives.blogspot.com/2011/12/social-welfare-expenditure-to-fall-by.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Niall0001 wrote: »

if its in the indo it must be true. If Myers wrote it its definitely true cos he is really in touch with reality.
    I suppose nurses and ambulance drivers are among these wasters and dossers in the HSE who are earnig 'too much money'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Fuinseog wrote: »
    who has nothing and who and how are they being penalised?
    HSE employees are getting pay cuts every year and still have to pay massive mortgages. maybe they should just throw in towel and chill out in the square.

HSE Employee's are getting increments so you are completely in the wrong to say they are getting pay cuts every year.
    if its in the indo it must be true. If Myers wrote it its definitely true cos he is really in touch with reality.
    I suppose nurses and ambulance drivers are among these wasters and dossers in the HSE who are earnig 'too much money'.

You know someone has no argument when they throw the poor nurses into the debate, there are also no ambulance drivers in the HSE.

The 6000 excess admin staff and 1000 excess HR staff in the HSE are all getting overpaid by 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

ladhrann wrote: »
    There is some confusion here I think over 'dole, UA, UB' etc., the payments are Jobseeker's Benefit and Jobseeker's Allowance, both have a maximum individual rate of E188 per week.

True, but you can't just say that the €188 payment is all somebody gets when on the dole as many people get multiple benefits. It does make it hard to put accurate figures on the true monetary benefits that a person on JA/JB get.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 padraig47

lobes wrote: »
    Saturday 28th January:

"Braking Our Bond$" Street Parade
    from Occupy Galway, Eyre Square @ 1pm

http://www.notourdebt.ie/
    orangebud wrote: »
    you could have waited till after the Liverpool V Man utd game
    i call in after 2 show my support

Total waste of time. Causing noise pollution.

Marches in Galway are only ego trips and annoy the general population.

It is time to take down that mess in Eyre square.
    It is achieving NOTHING.

• Advertisement

hippygran no longer posts here so I'm wondering, is there any actual representative of the urban camping movement still posting in this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

antoobrien wrote: »
    True, but you can't just say that the €188 payment is all somebody gets when on the dole as many people get multiple benefits. It does make it hard to put accurate figures on the true monetary benefits that a person on JA/JB get.

If you review my earlier post on the thread, I make a particular distinction between various payments and the link with personal circumstances.

The point of my post was to clarify the current situation with regard to D.S.P. payments and what each is for and also to dispel the misinformation quite current that all or even most individuals signing are in receipt of multiple payments.

In practice it is quite difficult to qualify for additional payments, i.e. Fuel Allowance is only payable after 390 claim paid days, and it must be applied for manually for instance.

Payments such as Rent Supplement etc. are subject to long waiting periods.

Furthermore a specific point I made about protest movements is that they are largely composed of, young, male and single members. Such individuals are highly unlikely to be in receipt of an increased payment.

In the case of individuals under 21, the payment is E100 p/w and in the case of those under 25 it is E144.

Given an earlier piece on the increase in DSP payments up to year ending 2007, I wanted to clarify the decrease in payments since then and also the flaws in the argument that payments had decreased at a slower rate than (apparent) deflation.

I
    The point of my post was to clarify the current situation with regard to D.S.P. payments and what each is for and also to dispel the misinformation quite current that all or even most individuals signing are in receipt of multiple payments.

I may be wrong about this but I believe some of the the lower rates / not full rates are for new recipients and under 21s only so many people in receipt before these measures were brought in were not affected.

Also I'd like to point out that I didn't say all or most I said many, there is quite a large difference in meaning there.

Ye, as you have pointed out, there are waiting times for various allowances, but since there are 90,000 + people/households receiving rent allowance it's likely that at least some of the 400k+ people on the live register will be receiving this benefit. The same goes for the other benefits.

So in the spirit of discussion, would you like to put some figures up here for those unemployed that like those that are:
    a) not receiving the full €188/week payment
    b) those of a that are working up to the 3 day week limit with SW supplementing their income
    c) numbers getting fuel, rent or other allowances

Or maybe you have some other numbers you'd like to contribute.

I may be wrong about this but I believe some of the the lower rates / not full rates are for new recipients and under 21s only so many people in receipt before these measures were brought in were not affected.

This would be the case for someone signing on continuously since 2007. The number of individuals signing on for this length of time i.e. 5 years now would be quite low, as a proportion of the whole.

There would be no under-21 year old receiving a full-rate, as the reduced rates applied since before the emergency budget in 2008. This was almost four years ago.

Also I'd like to point out that I didn't say all or most I said many, there is quite a large difference in meaning there.

I am aware of this. I did not refer to you specifically in my comment.
    Ye, as you have pointed out, there are waiting times for various allowances, but since there are 90,000 + people/households receiving rent allowance it's likely that at least some of the 400k+ people on the live register will be receiving this benefit. The same goes for the other benefits.

I concur, however by the same logic even if every one of the 90k receiving Rent Supplement were on the Register then over 80% of individuals on the Live Register, would not be in receipt of the payment. As you've put it, it is payable to households in the main and not individuals.

So in the spirit of discussion, would you like to put some figures up here for those unemployed that like those that are:
    a) not receiving the full €188/week payment
    b) those of a that are working up to the 3 day week limit with SW supplementing their income
    c) numbers getting fuel, rent or other allowances

Or maybe you have some other numbers you'd like to contribute.

There are a number of difficulties with that. Firstly I am not a data-miner or statistician.

The way the statistics are generated makes it quite difficult to divide numbers by subsets. I'll give you an example, we have a gross number who receive Fuel Allowance, which is a means-tested payment made to those in receipt of a payment on a long-term basis. However this number includes those on the Live Register, Pensioners (Contributory & Non-Contributory), Disability Allowance, Single Parent Family Payment, Widow's & Orphans Payment to further confuse matters it is also payable to those in receipt of a Benefit who opt for a means-test.

I may be able to get more concise figures at a later point.

There would be no under-21 year old receiving a full-rate, as the reduced rates applied since before the emergency budget in 2008. This was almost four years ago.

This wasn't introduced in 2008 as my brother (who was 19 at the time and had never been in a proper job) received the full payment until means testing came in. This was sometime in 2009, can't remember exactly when. The outburst of they've cut my dole was funny was so funny it took us a few minutes to catch our breath before asking for a refund on our PRSI contributions.

• Advertisement

This wasn't introduced in 2008 as my brother (who was 19 at the time and had never been in a proper job) received the full payment until means testing came in.

I'm afraid I don't understand this case. Reduced rate payments have always applied for different age groups living at home. Jonseeker's Allowance has always been means-tested. Plainly your relative must not have been on a means-tested payment, and instead was receiving a Benefit linked to his PRSI contributions.

I'm afraid I don't understand this case. Reduced rate payments have always applied for different age groups living at home. Jonseeker's Allowance has always been means-tested. Plainly your relative must not have been on a means-tested payment, and instead was receiving a Benefit linked to his PRSI contributions.

Doubt it, he had no PRSI contributions that I'm aware of. It could have been because it took so long to actually apply the means test, but I'm pretty sure it because he was already on the benefit when the reductions for u21 came into force.

The Supplementary budget was in 2009

• Registered Users Posts: 46 lobes

"Occupy Galway present a night of live music in aid of Cope & The Samaritans Galway at Monroe's Bar this Wednesday, February 1st.
    Both of these charities are overworked and underfunded in these times of austerity so please come along and support them.

21.00 till late..

Line up:
    Cian Finn
    West of Ireland born & based vocalist. His style of singing & songwriting has influences from Soul, Blues & Reggae.

Sumbrellas
    The music is a mix of Irish Traditional, Americana, and Country Swing. Sumbrellas have a unique sound with heartfelt soul and a blend of elegant musical tones combined with a swamp stomp boom.
    The Sumbrellas are currently working on their first album with new members Ciara Delaney from Belfast with powerful and effective singing and Finbar Campbell laying down a sweet country swing b-bender guitar.

The Rye
    A gig with The Rye is high-spirited, full-blown entertainment. Not only does the band have that really fantastic ability to make even a stone statue tap its feet, they also have amazing stage energy and presence that makes it difficult to turn away once they start performing...this band has talent dripping from their fingertips. They are each fantastic at what they do, and most importantly, they seem to enjoy that fact.

5 Euro Donation on the Door, all proceeds to charity"

Doubt it, he had no PRSI contributions that I'm aware of. It could have been because it took so long to actually apply the means test, but I'm pretty sure it because he was already on the benefit when the reductions for u21 came into force.

It is illustrative of the fact that all payments are made based on individual circumstances. No payment can be made without a means test by either a Community Welfare Officer under the H.S.E., or by a Deciding Officer of the D.S.P. It may be that the payment in question was altered as a result of a change of circumstances. All claims are re-visited at set (6 months/12 months etc.) intervals by a Social Welfare Inspector.

A means test has always applied for any Allowance. Before the reduction of the maximum rate for under-25s, a Board & Lodging deduction was made for all claimants under 25 living at home. The Board and Lodging deduction was ceased in 2009 and replaced with the reduced rates for all those of a certain age cohort i.e. under 21, and 21-24.

In relation to PRSI contributions, certain payments i.e. Occupational Injury Benefit have a reduced level of contributions needed in order to claim. This is in oder to allow those who suffer an injury early in working life to receive a payment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Niall0001 wrote: »
    How's about someone starts pointing fingers at the untouchable wages of 110,000 HSE employees (thanks to the Croke Park agreement), of which 10% don't even show up for work on any given day, instead of blaming those who have nothing & penalising them time & time again?
    If there's 250 working days in the years and you get 20 days holidays and let's say 5 sick days, that's 10% gone right there.
    So maybe they don't turn up as that's pretty much normal for any job, public or private sector?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 padraig47

Is this a post about occupy Galway. Or a post of how to get money from the taxpayers ?

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    If there's 250 working days in the years and you get 20 days holidays and let's say 5 sick days, that's 10% gone right there.
    So maybe they don't turn up as that's pretty much normal for any job, public or private sector?

Absenteeism is defined as showing not up when you're supposed to - an acknowledged severe problem in certain parts of the HSE.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Absenteeism is defined as showing up when you're not supposed to
    Er, you might want to rephrase that mate.:D

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Er, you might want to rephrase that mate.:D

:ocringe :o

That's what being able to speak 3 languages and not being able to write in any of them gets you;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 fintanforde

i cant understand how this camp is allowed to be active on the main public square in galway. in mullingar the council provide halting sites for these people. have the authorities no respect for these people?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

i cant understand how this camp is allowed to be active on the main public square in galway. in mullingar the council provide halting sites for these people. have the authorities no respect for these people?

Just in case you don't know, halting sites are for travellers!
    These people, as you call them, are protesters.

Just a slight difference!!.

lobes wrote: »
    "Occupy Galway present a night of live music in aid of Cope & The Samaritans Galway at Monroe's Bar this Wednesday, February 1st.
    Both of these charities are overworked and underfunded in these times of austerity so please come along and support them.

21.00 till late..

Line up:
    Cian Finn
    West of Ireland born & based vocalist. His style of singing & songwriting has influences from Soul, Blues & Reggae.

Sumbrellas
    The music is a mix of Irish Traditional, Americana, and Country Swing. Sumbrellas have a unique sound with heartfelt soul and a blend of elegant musical tones combined with a swamp stomp boom.
    The Sumbrellas are currently working on their first album with new members Ciara Delaney from Belfast with powerful and effective singing and Finbar Campbell laying down a sweet country swing b-bender guitar.

The Rye
    A gig with The Rye is high-spirited, full-blown entertainment. Not only does the band have that really fantastic ability to make even a stone statue tap its feet, they also have amazing stage energy and presence that makes it difficult to turn away once they start performing...this band has talent dripping from their fingertips. They are each fantastic at what they do, and most importantly, they seem to enjoy that fact.

5 Euro Donation on the Door, all proceeds to charity"

did anyone go to this?
    which charity did the proceeds go to?
    how much in donations did they receive?

no facilities have been provided either. where does the rubbish go? where do they go for toilet breaks or to have a shower?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

where do they go for toilet breaks or to have a shower?

Their own homes from what I understand...

Their own homes from what I understand...

I understood they were there on a permanent basis or do they do shifts?

I would be interested in hearing how the gig in Monroes went. its one thing holding something like that, but given what they do is for the people its nice to hear of the outcome-how much was made, to whom it was donated etc(donated to charity is a bit vague, which one and why?).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

I understood they were there on a permanent basis or do they do shifts?

I would be interested in hearing how the gig in Monroes went. its one thing holding something like that, but given what they do is for the people its nice to hear of the outcome-how much was made, to whom it was donated etc(donated to charity is a bit vague, which one and why?).

I can't help you out with how much they raised but as far as to where the money is going to, did you not read the first line of their post telling us all about the gig?.

You quoted it in full but, obviously, you didn't bother to read it.
    Too much of a hurry to try to find fault with them perhaps?

I can't help you out with how much they raised but as far as to where the money is going to, did you not read the first line of their post telling us all about the gig?.

You quoted it in full but, obviously, you didn't bother to read it.
    Too much of a hurry to try to find fault with them perhaps?

You have me there. Again I could be wrong and I probably am, but his is not their first gig. They had some kind of shindig in Richardsons of late. Does anyone know how much was taken there?
    is the OG group a protest group or a group that collects for charity?
    while the intentions are noble just how many groups collecting for charity do we need?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 lobes

7pm Monday 6th Feb 2012 - NUIG
    “...This year's theme is inspired historically by Dadaism, which defies and challenges the meaning of art, and takes influence from the new hope of our generation to change the world. The air is full of promise that there can be a new world - a world of unrestrained, uncensored mass two-way communication, facilitated by networking on the internet and by uprisings and protest on the streets. "Derelicte" seeks to represent the indefatigable spirit of our moment, epitomised by Time Magazine's person of the year - The Protestor.”
    http://www.muscailt.nuigalway.ie/events/?d=1&event=181

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

You have me there. Again I could be wrong and I probably am, but his is not their first gig. They had some kind of shindig in Richardsons of late. Does anyone know how much was taken there?
    is the OG group a protest group or a group that collects for charity?
    while the intentions are noble just how many groups collecting for charity do we need?

Personally, I would be very uncomfortable about giving money to a group like OG.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement