Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Occupy Galway Group (mod note added)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 GV2012

Red_Wake wrote: »
    Personally, I would be very uncomfortable about giving money to a group like OG.

so don't then, thanks anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

GV2012 wrote: »
    so don't then, thanks anyway
    Welcome back 'eire.man'!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

it would seem that a number of ordinary folk, the people for whom OG is fighting for, are growing tired of the movement. people are unsure of what OG is all about and afraid to approach the protesters to ask. Holding these gigs supposedly for charity but not revealing how much was taken in the first place is suspect and no better than the bankers. With the lack of transparency cynics could argue that he money donated at these gigs goes to fund a certain kind of lifestyle in the square.

maybe its time to pack up, let the corporation clean up the mess you leave behind and go to Leitrim. natural gas. its the new struggle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 GV2012

Welcome back 'eire.man'!!!!

thanks?

is there anybody still posting on thsi thread that actually represents this group? I have a question that I would like answered by someone who is involved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

is there anybody still posting on thsi thread that actually represents this group? I have a question that I would like answered by someone who is involved

I'll refer you to hippygran's answers - nobody represents the group, they are not an organized group but a loose grouping of individuals with different gripes.

Tbh they won't give a straight answer on anything, so I've stopped bothering trying and just try to make them make sense of any pronouncements they make.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Following on from this thread over on politics where an the standard line of "Occupy Galway cannot be held responsible for the Facebook postings by it's members in it's name" was trotted out, I noticed this on their camp.

Many posts previously in the thread, I jokingly ribbed the Occupy lot about the support from conspiracy theorists they were garnering. Now it appears they've been either co-opted them or support them.

The TL;DR version of Freeman/Strawman is "nothing is real, I didn't contract with the state for anything (except for signing on every week) so they can't ask anything of me, if I put my fingers in my ears and hum loudly the law can't apply to me".

Fuinseog wrote: »
    Holding these gigs supposedly for charity but not revealing how much was taken in the first place is suspect and no better than the bankers. With the lack of transparency cynics could argue that he money donated at these gigs goes to fund a certain kind of lifestyle in the square.

If you've every been involved in a charity fundraiser, you'll be aware that the charity benefiting usually only gets up to half the amount raised - the body that organized the event gets the balance (and that's when the organizers are particularly generous).

So, since o.g. are not willing to discuss their takings in public, I don't expect them to be forthcoming on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,482 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I dont think Occupy Galway are the usual type of charity organisers that I presume Anto is talking about/involved in ie: with a commitee, taking admin fees, paying musicians etc as opposed to giving their time and services voluntary.
    Therefore I would believe that ALL donations recieved from the Occupy gigs go to the nominated charities.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

It's against the law though. If they are raising money for individual charities, they should tell us how much they raised and how much went to charity after paying expenses (itemised) etc.

If they are raising money for themselves this must also be divulged. It's just amazing to me how the group touting transparency doesn't see the irony in being completely non-transparent in their actions.

• Advertisement

Therefore I would believe that ALL donations recieved from the Occupy gigs go to the nominated charities.[/QUOTE]

brilliant, so let us have someone on from the group to say how many tickets were sold or exactly how much was donated.
    these people are highly educated activists. I am sure they have access to the internet and are willing to educate us.
    I refuse to believe the 1% who represent me, would misappropriate funds, which is why they will surely produce some level of accountability. otherwise they are no better than the banks.

It's against the law though. If they are raising money for individual charities, they should tell us how much they raised and how much went to charity after paying expenses (itemised) etc.

If they are raising money for themselves this must also be divulged. It's just amazing to me how the group touting transparency doesn't see the irony in being completely non-transparent in their actions.

i don't think these people have any respect for the law. the encampment itself is illegal. they will eventually destroy themselves. i find it worrying that there is no spokesperson for the group. you can hardly start a revolution and bring down the state if you are that disorganised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

I've just learnt that the two charities, Cope and The Samaritans Galway, each received 300 euro from the gig at Monroe's Bar.
    I'm sure that if you rang these charities they would be happy to confirm this.

Everyone happy now?.

This information IS readily available. All you have to do is speak to someone at the camp, ask for a copy of their newsletter or give them your email address to receive it electronically.

Correction to the above, it might not be available in print yet, just by email.

I've just learnt that the two charities, Cope and The Samaritans Galway, each received 300 euro from the gig at Monroe's Bar.
    I'm sure that if you rang these charities they would be happy to confirm this.

Everyone happy now?.

This information IS readily available. All you have to do is speak to someone at the camp, ask for a copy of their newsletter or give them your email address to receive it electronically.

Correction to the above, it might not be available in print yet, just by email.

thanks for that. out of curiosity were there many at the gig? Maybe you could throw up the newsletter here. it could clear up a lot of misconceptions and inform us what the group is actually doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

The Fundraiser at Monroes went very well, great crowd turned out, on the night there also was a guest speaker from rossport solidarity camp. The Rye, Cian Finn & Sumbrellas not to forget the end of night fusion "The ryebrellas" put in Top notch performances...Giving their time free of charge in support of Cope & the Samaritans.

thanks for that. out of curiosity were there many at the gig? Maybe you could throw up the newsletter here. it could clear up a lot of misconceptions and inform us what the group is actually doing.

First part has now been answered. I wasn't there but I heard that it was a good night.

As for the newsletter, I'm, as I've said before, not a member of O.G. so I don't think it's up to me to post their newsletter, or at least it's not something that I would be happy doing.
    If you go to their website : www.occupygalway.org you'll find it there.

http://www.occupygalway.org/
    Saturday at 3pm we will have a talk on the ill effects of water fluoridation from Carina Harkin BHSc.Acu.BHSc.Nat.BHsc.Hom
    What exactly does fluoride in water have to do with anything?

What is a BHSc? Would someone who sells water filters not be considered a vested interest?

I was going to hold back a bit until I saw this:
    First Aid Homeopathy and I thought of this:

http://www.occupygalway.org/

What exactly does fluoride in water have to do with anything?

What is a BHSc? Would someone who sells water filters not be considered a vested interest?

I was going to hold back a bit until I saw this:
    First Aid Homeopathy and I thought of this:

BhSc is probably BSc or bachelor of Science.
    what does water have to do with the banks?

from www.carahealth.ie
    Tá athas oraibh buaileadh libh

My name is Carina, my partner's name is Jeremy and we have 6 children. I completed three, 4 year full time degrees in Natural Medicine because I loved it. I started studying Naturopathy (Herbal Medicine and Nutrition) and then had the carrots dangled for first, Homeopathy and then Acupuncture. For me it was good, better, best. I have been practising for 11 years and teaching Diplomas in Nutritional Therapy and Naturopathy. I have completed and published 2 scientific trials which are on the website. All 6 children have never had antibiotics or vaccinations. Of course, if they get hit by a bus I will take them to the doctor, but for everything else, natural medicine works. Complementary medicine is not namby pamby, hippy rubbish but evidence based medicine housing an arsenal of neutraceuticals that kill bacterial, viral and fungal infections, boost the immune system, tonify the adrenal gland, promote resistance to stress and limit the causes of cancer. It is the real alternative.

As the "stress-less" naturopath, I offer old school naturopathic advice that your grandmother used to give you. I promote medicine you can make in your kitchen. There is no such thing as bad foods. It is all about moderation. There is also no such thing as a machine that tests for food allergy. A good naturopath uses symptoms to diagnose nutritional deficiencies and low reactive diets and oral food challenges to test for intolerance or allergy. I encourage grain rotation rather than elimination, as elimination makes you more sensitive. I do not tell everyone to give up wheat and dairy. I sing a new tune. I tell you what you can eat...not what you can't. I do not believe it is wise to eat a raw food diet in Ireland as it is cold. We need warm foods. Good food isn't rocket science. I also encourage eating regular amounts of quality meat. Our brains grew 30% when we first ate meat and then even more when we accidently threw it on the fire!
    Carina Harkin BHSc.Nat.BHSc.Hom.BHSc.Acu. is a practitioner of 11 years, complementary medicine lecturer and mother of 6 in Galway, Ireland who practices what she teaches.

not sure about not vaccinating your kids. i mean flu i could understand but what of rubella?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

As the "stress-less" naturopath, I offer old school naturopathic advice that your grandmother used to give you. I promote medicine you can make in your kitchen.

I'd say my granny would have enough sense to recommend any of the horse**** this ****ing eejit spouts.

Homeopathy ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

This crowd are going from bad to worse, so flouride in the water is going to clean up the banks and get rid of our debt, the whole thing is one big joke but the sad part is the state of Eyre Square.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

BHSc is a Bachelor of Health Science... it's a very basic bachelors degree.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    This crowd are going from bad to worse, so flouride in the water is going to clean up the banks and get rid of our debt, the whole thing is one big joke but the sad part is the state of Eyre Square.

The question over whether we need fluoridated water now is a valid one. The original reason for adding it was dental hygene, which is largely not an issue due to education and better general standards of living.

I'ved heard concerns over links between fluoride in drinking water being linked to conditions like Alzheimers and Parkinsons diseases, but I don't know how serious they are (i.e. are they from people with actual training or self educated quacks "that got it from the net like").

antoobrien wrote: »
    Storm 10 wrote: »

The question over whether we need fluoridated water now is a valid one. The original reason for adding it was dental hygene, which is largely not an issue due to education and better general standards of living.

I'ved heard concerns over links between fluoride in drinking water being linked to conditions like Alzheimers and Parkinsons diseases, but I don't know how serious they are (i.e. are they from people with actual training or self educated quacks "that got it from the net like").

Now what does any of that have to do with the Occupy movement? I take it that they have realized that the majority of the population have grown sick and tired of them sitting around doing nothing and are now branching out in order to gather some new followers. They're been camped out there got months and have yet to come up with a single workable idea to help get the country back on track.

I found this piece on the website: globalhealingcenter.com the whole article was very interesting.

"The practice of water fluoridation has been rejected or banned in several countries including: China, Austria, Belgium, Finland, Germany, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, the Netherlands, Hungary, and Japan.
    Nearly all of Europe’s water supply is fluoride-free, and thankfully, many American communities are realizing this is the healthier choice. More than 45 U.S. cities have rejected the process of water fluoridation since 1990. Now, if the remaining 30,000 will follow along, the entire nation will have access to fluoride-free water."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 wearytraveller

Now what does any of that have to do with the Occupy movement? I take it that they have realized that the majority of the population have grown sick and tired of them sitting around doing nothing and are now branching out in order to gather some new followers. They're been camped out there got months and have yet to come up with a single workable idea to help get the country back on track.

If you have a read through these two links, you will see that there is little doubt that fluoride in the water is a bad thing, with no redeeming aspects. You will see that it is not used across pretty much all of Europe. Yet Ireland continues to fluoridate at a rate of around 70% of the water. I, personally, would assume that someone, somewhere is making some serious money out of this practice. Fluorosillic acid (fluoride) is a toxic waste that is produced as a by-product of industry (can't remember what type), that has to be disposed of, that is considered too toxic to be put just anywhere. And Ireland is the only country in Europe to be fluoridating most of the water...to me, that smells like someone has been getting some brown envelopes, which is surely exactly what Occupy is about?
    http://www.fluoridefreewater.ie/
    http://www.irishhealth.com/article.html?id=4381

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Chicken1

I found this piece on the website: globalhealingcenter.com the whole article was very interesting.

"The practice of water fluoridation has been rejected or banned in several countries including: China, Austria, Belgium, Finland, Germany, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, the Netherlands, Hungary, and Japan.
    Nearly all of Europe’s water supply is fluoride-free, and thankfully, many American communities are realizing this is the healthier choice. More than 45 U.S. cities have rejected the process of water fluoridation since 1990. Now, if the remaining 30,000 will follow along, the entire nation will have access to fluoride-free water."

THis is gone beyond a joke now, what the fcuk has this got to do with the banks and bailouts, have ye ran out of ideas in Eyre Square now, its unreal the rubbish thats coming out of there.

at this point we ask ourselves what the OG group is all about? Do they know themselves?
    it is a valid issue but you do not need to live on the streets to discuss it. you can ring Joe Duffy, lobby your local politician etc.

Chicken1 wrote: »
    THis is gone beyond a joke now, what the fcuk has this got to do with the banks and bailouts, have ye ran out of ideas in Eyre Square now, its unreal the rubbish thats coming out of there.

If you look at this link http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2011/oct/17/occupy-protests-world-list-map you will see that it can't be 'just' about the banks and bailouts, not all of these countries have that issue. Occupy from the very beginning, and the Spanish Indignato movement before that, has always been about social justice, economic inequality, corporate greed, governments not putting the peoples best interests first. The type of corruptible system that allows a government to continue to put a toxic substance into our water supply despite mountains of evidence saying this is harmful to us, is exactly what Occupy has been about from the start. Or that is certainly how I have always understood it.

at this point we ask ourselves what the OG group is all about? Do they know themselves?
    it is a valid issue but you do not need to live on the streets to discuss it.

Because of people living on the streets, a lot more people know about these issues than would have previously. Maybe they are acting as a 'peoples media', getting the issues discussed that the mainstream media don't tell us about?

• Advertisement

The type of corruptible system that allows a government to continue to...
    Why put down to corruption what could much more easily be explained by laziness or inertia?

I have no opinion on the merits or demerits of putting fluoride in drinking water but surely it is something that could be debated rationally in the Dáil, the media or on Liveline as suggested above weighing the evidence etc.

Associating the occupy movement with the quackery of homeopathy isn't doing it any favours.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement