Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Occupy Galway Group (mod note added)

Options

Comments

Predalien wrote: »
    Did any of you actually read my post? I was not making a comparison, I was making a point about Irish attitude to protest (disregarding the merits of a protest, my concern is the freedom to protest is being attacked). Seems most are in fact still fumbling in the greasy till.

No one is saying they can't or shouldn't protest rather were sick and tired of OG telling us that they are doing this for us and then attacking anyone who disagrees or questions them. Many of those involved are professional protestors who move from protest to protest.

OG are free to protest their hearts out, some of just wish that they would start to practice what they preach.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Eman Resu

And now, as Predalien said, those few hundred from 1916 are now heroes to the vast majority of people.

Big difference between freezing yer butt off in a tent and dying in combat or facing a firing squad!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

But sure lets keep on this route, pile another 20 billion of bank debt onto our national debt this year, and more every year for the next few decades, hopefully it'll work out, but if there ever was a time to protest it is now, and those that decide to engage in protest should not be subjected to constant attempts to undermine and deny them that right.

Any sources for those figures? If they are true, I can understand the anger!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

K-9 wrote: »
    Any sources for those figures? If they are true, I can understand the anger!

http://namawinelake.wordpress.com/2011/06/03/when-are-bondholders-in-irish-banks-due-to-be-paid/

And the source of data for that was Bloomberg I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Are you sure all of that is being added onto national debt? Will this be on top of the IMF/EU bail out?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 wearytraveller

Many of those involved are professional protestors who move from protest to protest.

Where do you get this information from, may I ask? I have visited a few occupy camps in the last 3 months, popping in for a cuppa when my work takes me somewhere with a camp, including Galway, Dublin and London. One of the things that most struck me was how many people I talked to who had never protested about anything before..at all! These were people who had always had a conscience, always felt angry at the injustices but never stood up and made their voice heard. One of the many fascinating things about this movement, I have felt, is how it has reached out to the imaginations of 'ordinary' people from all walks of life. More than one person expressed surprise at themselves that they had got involved but really felt it was worthwhile.
    On what evidence do you base this assertion that many of the group in Galway are 'professional protestors'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

(disregarding the merits of a protest, my concern is the freedom to protest is being attacked).

They've been allowed to exclude the public from a part of the main centre of town, in order to sit around for the past five (or more?) months when any other grouping attempting the same would have been shifted in a day.

Yeah real vicious attacks going on alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Following on from post #1777 by wearytraveller, I would like to say that, as far as I know, my Daughter, hippygran, and her husband have never been involved in a protest before.
    They joined this one not because they want to get something for themselves but because they are concerned about the future for their children and grandchildren, my grandchildren and greatgrandchildren.

The future is looking bleak for THEM. This is their concern.

Any protest that makes people think about the problems, whether it be the future of the country, the actions of the banking industry, all the extra taxes, the pollution of ground water or the general malaise that seems to exist, cannot be a bad thing.

My Daughter does not, as far as I am aware, think she has the answers but she can see the problems. The solutions have to come from experts.

Just a reminder that everything I post here is my opinion and not that of the O.G. in case anyone forgets.

c_man wrote: »
    They've been allowed to exclude the public from a part of the main centre of town, in order to sit around for the past five (or more?) months when any other grouping attempting the same would have been shifted in a day.

Having seen the camp, I fail to see how it has 'excluded' the public from part of the town as such. It is neatly tucked into a corner and doesn't impede anybody in any way. The only thing it was used for, as far as I ever noticed, was for a bike rack and for revellers urinating against the small building there in the early hours of the morning. The recent fairground attractions that were there for the rally and the Christmas market took up more space than the camp does. Also, the main tent area is completely open with nobody excluded at all. And I believe it has been around 4 months?

Just out of interest have any of these "vicious attacks" been reported to the Gardai?

• Advertisement

Having seen the camp, I fail to see how it has 'excluded' the public from part of the town as such.

Insofar as an area that was once accessible to the public is no longer. Leaving aside the atmosphere which certain posters have encountered, its been openly stated that you need to fill out some sort of application form to be a part of the "99%" occupying there.

Wasn't a fan of the market and the likes but at least they respected local democracy and got permission from the council.

Just out of interest have any of these "vicious attacks" been reported to the Gardai?

I suggest you re-read the post.

Insofar as an area that was once accessible to the public is no longer. Leaving aside the atmosphere which certain posters have encountered, its been openly stated that you need to fill out some sort of application form to be a part of the "99%" occupying there.

Wasn't a fan of the market and the likes but at least they respected local democracy and got permission from the council.

I personally have always found the atmosphere at all the camps I have visited to be welcoming and inclusive. I have occasionally disagreed with particular views being aired and have discussed these without animosity on either side. Having read back through some of the posts on this thread I wonder whether the posters that encountered otherwise have started the conversation on a confrontational note? However, that is just speculation on my part.
    I don't know anything about an application form, other than it was mentioned in a local paper. Maybe this was taken out of context? I can't imagine that there is a form to fill out to be part of the camp, but it would make sense for them to take some sort of precautions to ensure that somebody turning up drunk and wanting a tent for the night, for example, can't just do this and cause problems for people staying there.
    With regards to getting permission from the local council... didn't the Galway group negotiate with the council and the Christmas market with regards to moving to their present spot? Also, I believe that the Chief Superintendent has stated that they have had no public order complaints against the group and that Occupy Galway are breaking no laws. I do remember that the skateboarders used to use the area they are in now, so maybe they are the public you are talking about that have been inconvenienced?

I don't know anything about an application form, other than it was mentioned in a local paper.

One of the occupiers was talking about it (in this thread or the Politics one, can't remember). I'm not into rehashing the debates had on it.

The point is that its a nonsense to imply that their freedom to protest is being attacked. They've been given far more leeway than any other group could ever hope to get.

One of the occupiers was talking about it (in this thread or the Politics one, can't remember). I'm not into rehashing the debates had on it.

The point is that its a nonsense to imply that their freedom to protest is being attacked. They've been given far more leeway than any other group could ever hope to get.

But you brought it up! With regards to them getting 'leeway', I beg to differ. They have exercised the same rights that any other protest group could exercise, the constitutional right to peaceful protest that is breaking no laws as stated by the Chief Superintendent herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

But you brought it up! With regards to them getting 'leeway', I beg to differ. They have exercised the same rights that any other protest group could exercise, the constitutional right to peaceful protest that is breaking no laws as stated by the Chief Superintendent herself.

Is this your only login on boards.ie and have you any association with the Occupy movement?

I suggest you re-read the post.

My mistake.

My post was tongue in cheek thinking that you had picked up on the statement by Fuinseog that when talking to the group "...they turn on you quite viciously".

Red_Wake wrote: »
    Is this your only login on boards.ie and have you any association with the Occupy movement?

:confused: yes, why? As I stated, I have visited occupy camps, the movement interests me, although I doubt it can achieve much more than get people talking. But maybe that will be enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

The Occupy Movement has emerged, to inspire realization in all aspects of our societys, not just the economic. Occupy our lifes with true equality, compasion & understanding.

:confused:? Like wearytraveller, I was surprised that you had to ask this question.
    I had gathered from reading his posts that, like myself, he supported their right to protest and the reasons they were there.

I also thought it was very obvious that he had no other connection.

Perhaps you're seeing "reds under the bed" and "conspiracies" everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

ultain wrote: »
    The Occupy Movement has emerged, to inspire realization in all aspects of our societys, not just the economic. Occupy our lifes with true equality, compasion & understanding.
    And 5 months they've failed to even do this. Says it all. Occupy our "lifes" lol.

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    And 5 months they've failed to even do this. Says it all. Occupy our "lifes" lol.

I think this is a first, if I read it right.

Are you finding fault with spelling now?, (but it's obviously ok to omit words from a sentence!).

Let's not go down this path.

Where do you get this information from, may I ask? I have visited a few occupy camps in the last 3 months, popping in for a cuppa when my work takes me somewhere with a camp, including Galway, Dublin and London. One of the things that most struck me was how many people I talked to who had never protested about anything before..at all! These were people who had always had a conscience, always felt angry at the injustices but never stood up and made their voice heard. One of the many fascinating things about this movement, I have felt, is how it has reached out to the imaginations of 'ordinary' people from all walks of life. More than one person expressed surprise at themselves that they had got involved but really felt it was worthwhile.
    On what evidence do you base this assertion that many of the group in Galway are 'professional protestors'?

On the basis that many of those who ar einvovled in OG were involved in Shell to Sea, the various anti war protests in Galway and at shannon to name but a few. For many involved in the protest it's their first time but there are a few who have made protesting their lifes work it seems.
    Following on from post #1777 by wearytraveller, I would like to say that, as far as I know, my Daughter, hippygran, and her husband have never been involved in a protest before.
    They joined this one not because they want to get something for themselves but because they are concerned about the future for their children and grandchildren, my grandchildren and greatgrandchildren.

The future is looking bleak for THEM. This is their concern.

Any protest that makes people think about the problems, whether it be the future of the country, the actions of the banking industry, all the extra taxes, the pollution of ground water or the general malaise that seems to exist, cannot be a bad thing.

My Daughter does not, as far as I am aware, think she has the answers but she can see the problems. The solutions have to come from experts.

Just a reminder that everything I post here is my opinion and not that of the O.G. in case anyone forgets.

The future is looking bleak for all of us but sitting around all day will accomplish nothing. I could understand sitting around in protest if they had some solutions to any of the problems but waiitng for the "experts" to come along and save the day is just pointless.

OG tells us that they are working on behalf of us to make the country a better place, from what you have said they are doing this by making us think about our problems. It's not like we were not thinking about these problems before OG arrived.

I agree with the principales behind the Occuppy movement but lets be honest in the many months that OG has been in place what have they accomplished. That's a question I asked at the camp last week and unfortunatly much to the annoyance of one lad there, making Eyre Square safer does not count.

Darko, I've said it before and I'll say it again, the ordinary person in the street cannot fix the problems alone.
    You might know that oil leaking from your car is a problem but the chances are that you will have to take it to a mechanic to get it fixed.

Yes, we were all aware of the problems, but mainly from a personal point of view. My Daughter, through her joining the O.G., has made me start thinking about the future for my two 3year old and one 6mth old greatgrand children not just the future for my grandchildren who, like a lot of us, are having a hard time.

Darko, I've said it before and I'll say it again, the ordinary person in the street cannot fix the problems alone.
    You might know that oil leaking from your car is a problem but the chances are that you will have to take it to a mechanic to get it fixed.

Yes, we were all aware of the problems, but mainly from a personal point of view. My Daughter, through her joining the O.G., has made me start thinking about the future for my two 3year old and one 6mth old greatgrand children not just the future for my grandchildren who, like a lot of us, are having a hard time.

That analogy really doesn't work. The average car owner when they realise that they are leaking oil may not be able to solve the problem themselves but they would have a fair idea as to the problem and possible solutions.

the future is bleak for all of us, I'm 26 and just out of college with no prospects in this country. Now I have a few choices, i could continue to apply for every job I see or I could collect the dole and grow fat as I sit at home all day or I could sit around Eyre Square all day offering no solution and organising charity events or I can save up every penny I get so that I can emigrate.

Times are hard and going to get harder but were it up to OG then we would be well and truly screwed. If they had their way then they would burn the bondholders and tell Europe to get lost. Much as I'd like to see that any rational mind recognises that were that to happen this country would come to a standstill. there would be chaos as runs on the banks occured and the cost of living sky rocketed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

They are talking about our money being thrown away, well they have a lot to answer for in that one, so far it has cost the Irish taxpayer 14 million in wages for the Garda protecting the Shell Gas line against the protestors in Mayo.

Irishgoatman, you keep saying that it's up to the experts to offer solutions. Are these the same experts whose advice and actions resulted in us being in the situation that we are now in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

:confused: yes, why? As I stated, I have visited occupy camps, the movement interests me, although I doubt it can achieve much more than get people talking. But maybe that will be enough?

I'm more interested if this is your only login on boards, as you have only been here a few days, and all your posts are in Occupy threads.

The textbook signs of a second account, which would be another example of the Occupy movement's hyprocrisy with regards transparency.

So is this your only account, and why did you sign up to boards just to support Occupy?

Irishgoatman, you keep saying that it's up to the experts to offer solutions. Are these the same experts whose advice and actions resulted in us being in the situation that we are now in?

Hardly!

A year ago I had central heating trouble. The boss of the firm that regularly services the boiler came along and fixed it. A week later I still wasn't happy with it, this time the son of the boss came along. No further problems. Both are , supposedly, experts.

Is the government following the right advice?. I won't go as far as to say that the rich are getting richer but the poor are certainly getting poorer.

People of your age are leaving the country left right and centre. If, in the future, employment that is commensurate with the qualifactions that they have appears will they return?. Who can blame them if they don't and where will the country be then. It will be full of pensioners! (like me) what a thought!!

Storm10.

I won't comment on your post because I think the jury is still out on that subject.

• Advertisement

I'm more interested if this is your only login on boards, as you have only been here a few days, and all your posts are in Occupy threads.

The textbook signs of a second account, which would be another example of the Occupy movement's hyprocrisy with regards transparency.

So is this your only account, and why did you sign up to boards just to support Occupy?

Will you believe wearytraveller if he tells you that he is not connected with O.G.? (I don't know whether he is or not).
    If you won't then why keep up this line of questioning? it's just a waste of time and space.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement