Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cornering fail

• 14-10-2011 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

Friday morning story: cornering at speed on a wet greasy cobbled surface (and with Gatorskins to make matters worse), such as the one you get on the corner from South Mall to Grand Parade in Cork (streetview link) was bound to end up in a disaster. Fortunately, slick surface (combined with sturdy MTB baggy shorts) also means negligible road rash. Also, it could have been much worse if the driver behind me wasn't following me patiently from a good distance before that happened, so thanks for driving well. And thanks to the people who stopped to check if I was all right :) No harm done, except to my dignity (and a little scratch on my bike).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

That cobbled section is lethal. Didnt a boy racer end up half way up the steps of one of the solictors offices at that corner last year sometime?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Jaysus, who in God's name though that polished stones were a good road surface on a corner?

Good to hear you didn't come off too badly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Console yourself with the fact others have made bigger ar$es of themselves along there.....

http://davemacontheblog.blogspot.com/2008/05/crash-on-south-mall-on-sunday-nite-only.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

seamus wrote: »
    Jaysus, who in God's name though that polished stones were a good road surface on a corner?

Yes, along with 3 shiny manhole covers. You have to lean before the corner, straighten up while actually going around the corner, making a nice wide angle (if traffic will allow it) then finish the turn once around the bend. :D

Hey, it could be worse, it's not downhill ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭enas

Console yourself with the fact others have made bigger ar$es of themselves along there.....

http://davemacontheblog.blogspot.com/2008/05/crash-on-south-mall-on-sunday-nite-only.html

That's a bit of a consolation all right, thanks. At least it's funny (as no one got injured - could have been much nastier during the day with a lot of pedestrians and all that stuff).

Going in the other direction is even worse: it's tighter obviously, plus you get those three manhole covers that are well placed all along the width of the lane so that avoiding them becomes a game in itself. I've lost traction on the front wheel a few times on them, which is always a bit stressful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

I'm always weary of those pedestrian crosses there too! Even whilst walking!

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭enas

Malari wrote: »
    You have to lean before the corner, straighten up while actually going around the corner, making a nice wide angle (if traffic will allow it) then finish the turn once around the bend. :D

That's exactly what I do obviously. But apparently that was not enough this morning, should really try to go as perfectly straight as possible through the cobbles. Plus there's always a tool that will overtake you just as you're about to enter the corner.
    Malari wrote: »
    Hey, it could be worse, it's not downhill ;)

However, you do carry some momentum from going down parliament bridge...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

enas wrote: »
    That's exactly what I do obviously. But apparently that was not enough this morning, should really try to go as perfectly straight as possible through the cobbles. Plus there's always a tool that will overtake you just as you're about to enter the corner.

However, you do carry some momentum from going down parliament bridge...

Oh, I wasn't actually commenting on your cornering in particular, just ridiculing the PTB who decided this was a safe an appropriate surface for a corner ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

I've lost traction there in a car. Lethal.

Friday morning story: cornering at speed on a wet greasy cobbled surface (and with Gatorskins to make matters worse), such as the one you get on the corner from South Mall to Grand Parade in Cork (streetview link) was bound to end up in a disaster. Fortunately, slick surface (combined with sturdy MTB baggy shorts) also means negligible road rash. Also, it could have been much worse if the driver behind me wasn't following me patiently from a good distance before that happened, so thanks for driving well. And thanks to the people who stopped to check if I was all right :) No harm done, except to my dignity (and a little scratch on my bike).

That corner is very dodgy alright. Nearly came off there one day on the road bike, despite the fact that I was dawdling. Only time I've ever had a front wheel slide recover!

I'm always very cautious on it now, especially in the wet.

Whoever decided to change the surface from grippy tarmac to slippy stone on a pedestrian crossing on a corner needs their heads examined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭JOHN_70

College Road outside the main gate of UCC and the top of O'Donovans road and Gaol Walk have this type of surface as well. Nasty if it is wet - I also have gatorskins on at the moment which doesnt help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭kenmc

Friday morning story: cornering at speed on a wet greasy cobbled surface (and with Gatorskins to make matters worse),
    Don't go blaming Gatorskins, they're not by any means slippy. Been riding them for 4 years+ without any issue whatsoever, and I take no prisoners.

Advertisement