Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kayaking in Meath

Options
  • 14-10-2011 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

I would like to know what facilities are available for Kayakers in Meath.

If anyone has experience or advice on where to go, what parts of the river are best, anything at all to do with Kayaking I would be grateful

Considering Meath has the Boyne, Blackwater, Access to the Sea and Lakes and other waterways there doesn't seem to be a single information area for Kayaking in Meath.

Cheers & paddles up :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭Archeron

This might be of interest to you:
    http://www.trimcanoeclub.ie/

Dont know anything about them, but I do see them floating around on the Boyne in Trim sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Wiley1

Archeron wrote: »
    This might be of interest to you:

Dont know anything about them, but I do see them floating around on the Boyne in Trim sometimes.

Cheers for that Archeron. I know of these lads, thanks a mil :-)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Seen quite a few of them at the weir in Stackallen - not sure who they are but they seem to be there fairly regularly.

6D68B98370A44520994D4949F4862F1C.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

Depending on who its for you could always try Drewstown House near Clonmellon they do Kayaking for anyone over 12, groups or individuals as far as i know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

I'm a member of Trim CC, give the number on our website a ring and we'll take care of you :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

Seen quite a few of them at the weir in Stackallen - not sure who they are but they seem to be there fairly regularly.

6D68B98370A44520994D4949F4862F1C.jpg

More than likely this is SilverBridge Kayaking from Drogheda. http://www.sbkc.ie/
    Paul is the guy to chat to.
    They start off from Ardmulchan, Stackallen every Sunday and descent down to the bridge @ Slane.
    Lovely stretch of river to kayak on... for the scenery moreso than the rapids! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭lank

You're right, Meath has an abundance of rivers, something to suit everybody and you will get all the information you need, plus advice on boats and gear, by joining a local kayak club.
    I started out, with some pals, by getting a kayak and gear thru buy'n'sell and throwing ourselves on the nearest river. Needless to say, without any training, learning how to read the river & it's features, it wasn't long before we had a fairly serious mishap.
    After joining SilverBridge Kayak Club, going out on regular river trips, talking to other paddlers & learning some safety, I can now look back on some of the near misses, I wasn't even aware, at the time, I had potentially put myself in.
    Check out the club website, lots of info on it. Check out the river guides on IrishWhitewater.com
    Our members enjoy several aspects of paddling, canoes & camping, whitewater, river running, sea kayaking, We also take trips around the country, the British Isles & to Europe.
    The Boyne and the Blackwater are great rivers to enjoy, under the right conditions & once you know what you are getting yourself into. There are a number of dangerous weirs on each, which must be approached with caution and know how. Once you have these mastered , the river is yours to enjoy over & over again.
    The rivers are looking particularily beautiful right now, with the changing seasons and colours. Between surfs & eddy-hopping, there's plenty time to sit back and just take it all in.
    If you look into it seriously and give it time & consideration, paddling will be something you will have & appreciate for the rest of your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

lank wrote: »
    You're right, Meath has an abundance of rivers, something to suit everybody and you will get all the information you need, plus advice on boats and gear, by joining a local kayak club.
    I started out, with some pals, by getting a kayak and gear thru buy'n'sell and throwing ourselves on the nearest river. Needless to say, without any training, learning how to read the river & it's features, it wasn't long before we had a fairly serious mishap.
    After joining SilverBridge Kayak Club, going out on regular river trips, talking to other paddlers & learning some safety, I can now look back on some of the near misses, I wasn't even aware, at the time, I had potentially put myself in.
    Check out the club website, lots of info on it. Check out the river guides on IrishWhitewater.com
    Our members enjoy several aspects of paddling, canoes & camping, whitewater, river running, sea kayaking, We also take trips around the country, the British Isles & to Europe.
    The Boyne and the Blackwater are great rivers to enjoy, under the right conditions & once you know what you are getting yourself into. There are a number of dangerous weirs on each, which must be approached with caution and know how. Once you have these mastered , the river is yours to enjoy over & over again.
    The rivers are looking particularily beautiful right now, with the changing seasons and colours. Between surfs & eddy-hopping, there's plenty time to sit back and just take it all in.
    If you look into it seriously and give it time & consideration, paddling will be something you will have & appreciate for the rest of your life.

Reading this makes me think it's time to get off my arse and get back on the river... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Wiley1

kormak wrote: »
    Reading this makes me think it's time to get off my arse and get back on the river... :)

Now is the time to hit the Boyne. well, I would actually wait until that flood has washed itself out a bit or you'll be paddling a flat swollen river.

Bring a big creeker

Advertisement