Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ganache

Options
  • 14-10-2011 12:56pm
    Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks.. I'm going to make a sachertorte tomorrow which I'm confident I can do, I'm actually just worried about the ganache.

I never heard of this before, and just cant get my head around how the cream will melt the chocolate off the heat!

Anyone any advice, or experience in making it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

You put the chocolate into the hot cream and stir and it melts. Trust me it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Yup, chocolate into scalded cream works perfectly and my it's so yummy! The great british bake off had a recipe for it here.

AFAIK the secret to smooth sachertorte is to simply pour over the ganache, don't spread it with a knife, just let it flow from a jug onto the cake for the smooth mirror-like effect.

Having said that I'm sure if some "skooching" with a pallette is needed it will be just as yummy :)

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

ok. Thanks guys. I'm deffo going to give it a shot, I was just a bit :eek: when the recipe said to take the cream off the heat and then add the chocolate!

I'll let ye know tomorrow how it goes :)

And eviledna, thats the exact recipe I am going to make as thats where I first saw it :) so thanks for that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Chocolate melts even by body heat. Cream, brought to the boil, will be sufficiently hot to melt the chocolate. Just make sure it's chopped up in small, even pieces, and at room temperature.

Ganache technique is usually adding 1/2 the boiled cream to the chocolate, stirring until smooth, then adding the remaining cream to completely melt the chocolate.
    Another method is adding the cream all at once, leaving it sit for 1 minute to allow the chocolate to melt, then whisking from the centre outwards.

As you're pouring the ganache from the jug, start in the centre and work outwards in a spiral, to completely and evenly cover the cake and edges. Good luck.

So I was worried for nothing :o the ganache went perfectly well except for 1 thing. I didn't know for how long to leave the ganache before pouring, so I think I poured too soon! it was too watery, so I made another little batch of ganache and left it a bit longer and it was much thicker. So I poured and it actually turned out alright. It's a little bit messy looking on the sides, but other then that I think it looks ok.

Sachertortee.jpg

• Advertisement

After it set, I finally got to taste it tonight with my sister and brother in law. Have to say it was gorgeous!! and was even nicer on the second round when we heated it and added a little scoop of vanilla :D

Sliced_sacher.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Yum! Looks good, the great thing about ganache is even if it drips once you cut a slice it looks very even. I get impatient and pour too early sometimes.
    Yours looks lovely and even.

I use Nigellas tip sometimes and cut triangles or squares of baking paper and place the cake on top before icing. Then once iced and the icing has set a bit I pull the baking paper out from under it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I add a knob of butter every time - gives it a nice gloss
    Also a pinch of sea salt enhances the flavour (if using unsalted butter)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

And if you want to go one step further you can let it cool and then whip in it your mixer - it ends up super light and can be used like buttercream ..... its not too sweet and how could you possibly go wrong with cream and chocolate whipped together? Magnificent on cupcakes, or a filling for cakes, or just licked off the spoon...:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭SleepAtNight

ChewChew wrote: »
    So I was worried for nothing :o the ganache went perfectly well except for 1 thing. I didn't know for how long to leave the ganache before pouring, so I think I poured too soon! it was too watery, so I made another little batch of ganache and left it a bit longer and it was much thicker. So I poured and it actually turned out alright. It's a little bit messy looking on the sides, but other then that I think it looks ok.

Sachertortee.jpg

Oh my God! *drools profusely*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Looks amazing. However you forgot to write "Sacher" on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

lol I was gonna say that but didn't have the heart coz op did a great job. That's the hardest part getting the writing neat in milk choc.
    There was a good example on the great british bake off masterclass episode (raging I missed half of it, it's prob. on you tube by now).

cheers folks, but I can assure you that I didn't forget to write 'Sacher' on it.. I just didn't have the proper piper for it ;)

Advertisement