Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should Trinity have cancelled the Nick Griffin talk?

• 14-10-2011 2:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭

Nick Griffin was due to speak at an event in TCD, but Trinity was forced to cancel after caving in to pressure from protesters. You won't find anyone who detests Nick Griffin and his ilk more than I, but I do support freedom of speech and I feel he should have been given the opportunity to speak.

What say AH? Should Nick Griffin have been afforded the opportunity to speak, or was TCD right to cancel the event?

Should Trinity have cancelled the Nick Griffin talk? 274 votes

No - they should not. I support freedom of speech.
    0% 1 vote
    Yes - they should have cancelled it. Griffin does not deserve a platform.
    83% 229 votes
    Other - Discuss.
    16% 44 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

You cant stop someone speaking just because you dont agree with what they say.

They have a point of view to express and whether or not other people detest it is irrelevant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Let the man talk I say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Duke Leonal Felmet

Probably the usual threat of violent protest from lefties that prompted it. Something similar happened in UCC about 3 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

Nah, ban him, his kind are dangerous.

People are easily swayed, just look at the amount of people on here that hate foreigners. They'd love him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Was in two minds about it myself but they probably should have let the scumbag talk, so he could be challenged on his bile in a debate format.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I always mix him up with the guy from Family Guy :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Let his idiocy speak for itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

He should come up here and talk at the DUP conference coming up. Will be interesting to hear what he has to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Sooopie

Leftist wrote: »

People are easily swayed, just look at the amount of people on here that hate foreigners. They'd love him.

:D Its true!

That wont make them go away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Sheeps

dont know or care who he is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Was in two minds about it myself but they probably should have let the scumbag talk, so he could be challenged on his bile in a debate format.

That's precisely why he should be allowed to speak - So we have an opportunity to challenge him. Watch any debate he talks place in - his argument is always systematically torn apart. We had nothing to lose by letting him speak.

RichieC wrote: »
    Let his idiocy speak for itself.

Its a political viewpoint. Because it may differ from yours doesnt mean it cant be expressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

Griffin is a bollocks of the highest order, but they should have let him on and had him take part in a proper debate so that someone with more brains and skill than him could show him up as a silly little man.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭maygitchell

KeithAFC wrote: »
    He should come up here and talk at the DUP conference coming up. Will be interesting to hear what he has to say.

Hed love a bunch of unionists **** passionately over everything he has to say...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Should have let him speak. Panorama had an interesting programme on the BNP last week, some ex members very critical about his performance on Question Time.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I personally wouldn't support giving racist bigots a platform to spout their drool.

If he wants to stand on a soapbox on Grafton Street let him off, but fuck rolling out the Trinity red carpet for the prick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

People say they support freedom and democracy but refuses the right to speak for others.

"Some animals are more equal than others".

Everbody is a racist.

I love it when some people pretend to be all lovey dovey liberal just to sound popular

Hed love a bunch of unionists **** passionately over everything he has to say...
    He should be allowed to speak. Freedom of speech is important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

He'll just be a step further forward to neo-nazi martyrdom.

He should be given every available opportunity to make a tit of himself in public.

keane2097 wrote: »
    I personally wouldn't support giving racist bigots a platform to spout their drool.

If he wants to stand on a soapbox on Grafton Street let him off, but fuck rolling out the Trinity red carpet for the prick.

Racism and bigotry is a part of life. Grafton St would be full of soapboxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

K-9 wrote: »
    Should have let him speak. Panorama had an interesting programme on the BNP last week, some ex members very critical about his performance on Question Time.
    I saw that, it was repeated last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

dlofnep wrote: »
    Nick Griffin was due to speak at an event in TCD, but Trinity was forced to cancel after caving in to pressure from protesters. You won't find anyone who detests Nick Griffin and his ilk more than I, but I do support freedom of speech and I feel he should have been given the opportunity to speak.

What say AH? Should Nick Griffin have been afforded the opportunity to speak, or was TCD right to cancel the event?

Don't think much of Griffin myself so I guess TCD are right in that respect.

He should be allowed to speak. Freedom of speech is important.

No. Not when you are a racist and promote hate crimes against people due to their origin

If you want to talk about My Little Pony or how you tickle your bum with a bar of soap be my guest; I will defend your right to say such things as long as they are within the law.

Much difference between the DUP and BNP anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Silencing what people have to say is what the Nazis did, the protesters are nothing more than that IMO. Anyway they're nothing more then sheep being told what to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I think your kind are dangerous and you should be banned.

See how that works ? Who decides who gets to do the banning ?

We're not unionist bashing are we?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

I don't think the issue is whether they should let him talk, it's whether they should have invited him in the first place. He's free to organize his own rallies and preach to his hearts content, doesn't mean a reputable university should bring him in to spout thinly veiled bigotry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

but its muslims he hates, not catholics. and he supports a united ireland :P

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Would have made for a lively debate. Didn't Trinity cancel a speech by Fred Phelps of the Westboro Baptist Church over protests aswell?

No. Not when you are a racist and promote hate crimes against people due to their origin

If you want to talk about My Little Pony or how you tickle your bum with a bar of soap be my guest; I will defend your right to say such things as long as they are within the law.

But its ok for you to denigrate unionism in this very thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Isn't it always AFA and leftwing groups that do this?
    You never see a bunch of nazi skinheads booing at a Labour rally.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭J K

I'd say the jews are behind this.

orourkeda wrote: »
    But its ok for you to denigrate unionism in this very thread?

Meh.

Id just rather talk about My Little Pony

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    Isn't it always AFA and leftwing groups that do this?
    You never see a bunch of nazi skinheads booing at a Labour rally.

yeah those nazis are a grand bunch of lads

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Let him talk so people can see how ridiculous his ideas are. Banning him gives some sort of power to his views.

He is entitled to his views. We allow everyone else to speak in society now, so why not Nick Griffin?

If he did give into protesters, then that is very poor of him. He should try and come up here to put his views across if he can't do it in the Republic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Yet they welcome anarchists like Noam Chomsky

The student societies and liberals love him I suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Silencing what people have to say is what the Nazis did, the protesters are nothing more than that IMO. Anyway they're nothing more then sheep being told what to do.

It's a shame somebody didn't silence that Hitler chap could have probably saved the world a bit of bother.

• Advertisement

And people say protesting never achieves anything :D

Meh.

Id just rather talk about My Little Pony

Off you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

It's kind of ironic that the outrage stemmed mainly from people who consider themselves to be free-thinking and progressive liberals. I thought that silencing dissenting or controversial voices was a right-wing thing.

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Let him talk so people can see how ridiculous his ideas are. Banning him gives some sort of power to his views.

The fact that you think his views are ridiculous shouldnt preclude him from expressing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    I saw that, it was repeated last night.

Nothing too surprising but I was surprised at the criticism of that appearance. He's a decent speaker on his own, when he can rant about immigrants, but in a debate situation, pretty weak.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Duke Leonal Felmet

You gotta laugh at the hyposcrisy of the left.

It's kind of ironic that the outrage stemmed mainly from people who consider themselves to be free-thinking and progressive liberals. I thought that silencing dissenting or controversial voices was a right-wing thing.

Indeed it is. But then how many people dont harbour some form of prejudice.

And the way they think thay can crush anyone with differing or far right wing opinions in a debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

It isn't the "left" that's opposing this talk. I'm a leftist, I support the right of freedom of speech. Find a new collective to bash.

The left is the biggest problem in our society now. All these illegal immigrants coming into our countries, getting all the free benefits they want and then abusing "human rights" to stay in the countries.

• Advertisement
Advertisement