Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cat litter needed now?

• 14-10-2011 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭

I have two cats aged 10 and 11 and they have the run of the place as in they sleep in side most nights but go out to do their buisness and during the summer they will sleep in the shed not wanting to come in when its warm,, but what i'm wondering is should i start using a litter tray for them now as i've noticed they are going out to pee more often than normal,and for the first time last night the tom cat pee'd in the hall, I'm putting this down to old age as they are acting normal eating and drinking peeing and pooing. Do cats pee more in old age or was it just an accident,,he had a check up only last month and all was fine ..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Personally, i would definitely have at least one litter tray somewhere in the house for them, especially as they sleep in overnight. Litter trays and litter are cheap and can be gotten in every petshop,although i use Lidls litter.
    joyce2009 wrote: »
    Do cats pee more in old age or was it just an accident,,he had a check up only last month and all was fine ..

It could be just an accident, but both are heading into the latter end of middle age. Cats are prone to kidney conditions eg. bladder crystals, so while that incident may have been an accident id keep an eye anyway. They also can get diabetes, which can result in excessive peeing and thirst so be vigilant. If he was "bursting" and you dont have a tray i suppose that was his only option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Yes I'd have at least 1 litter tray all year round anyways. It's handy for noticing how much they are peeing and if they have any trouble peeing like straining or blood in their urine. Cats are finicky creatures and by monitoring their toileting habits you can tell a lot by them, a lot of both behavioural and medical problems show up as problems in the litter tray!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭vinn

another good option is to fit a cat flap works a wonder and will pay for itself in no time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

That's true, a litter tray will help give you an indication of health.
    No harm in having one in the house, if you find they use it but still pee in the house you might need to use two.

Older cats prefer in general to stay in more, esp. as they start to sleep even more often than normal. They might appreciate a litter tray to save them going out in the cold, they do love their comfort.

Advertisement