Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer internships

• 14-10-2011 3:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭

Im in 2nd year of a Business Studies degree (Accounting&Finance) and Ive heard that some accounting companies offer internships to 3rd level students. I was just wondering has anyone got and useful info or anything about them? I know they are offered by Pwc and Deloitte but are there any others?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Legwinski

ryanf1 wrote: »
    Im in 2nd year of a Business Studies degree (Accounting&Finance) and Ive heard that some accounting companies offer internships to 3rd level students. I was just wondering has anyone got and useful info or anything about them? I know they are offered by Pwc and Deloitte but are there any others?

All of the Big 4 offer them but not all offer them to 2nd years (unless its your penultimate year).

Applications wont be til next February or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Im going to apply for Deloitte following some advice i've been given. Does anyone know if you are paid anything for the 12 weeks or is it totally unpaid?

It's paid. Most are around the €350 a week mark with ey paying a little more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

I'd say apply to all of them. Most of the people who get accepted to do internships will be offered a training contract at the end on condition of getting their degree. Also, they would provide sponsorship to do a Masters, if that's what you wanted.

I would love to be offered a training contract but if thats conditional on results i may not get it because im not sure if im on course for a 2.1 degree which is what the big 4 look for. Hadnt really considered the option of a masters because its not something I could afford to do off my own back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

You're in second year, it's very premature to be saying you're not going to get a 2.1. I would say to you to work your hardest from here on in. You probably won't get an internship with bad grades (note- probably) because most of the places going will be filled with people on 1.1's + 2.1's but if you put your head down and get the 2.1 at the end, you should be able secure a training contract with one of the Big4.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

is the competition tough for the internships?

eoins23456 wrote: »
    is the competition tough for the internships?

It's not too bad in Dublin I'd say. Probably tougher than the milk rounds though, due to the number of places and type of people willing to sacrifice a summer in order to gain experience.

The application is quite important as they don't do nearly as many interviews as milkrounds. I'd advise to apply to them all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Aha Shake wrote: »
    It's not too bad in Dublin I'd say. Probably tougher than the milk rounds though, due to the number of places and type of people willing to sacrifice a summer in order to gain experience.

The application is quite important as they don't do nearly as many interviews as milkrounds. I'd advise to apply to them all!

eh its very bad in dublin, too much competition.

I am doing same course as well but economics is my major. im in 2nd year and i was filling out internship applications. it was a fcuking pain in the ass.

I am telling you it takes over an hour to fill out applications from the big 4.

You're in second year, it's very premature to be saying you're not going to get a 2.1. I would say to you to work your hardest from here on in. You probably won't get an internship with bad grades (note- probably) because most of the places going will be filled with people on 1.1's + 2.1's but if you put your head down and get the 2.1 at the end, you should be able secure a training contract with one of the Big4.

Actually its premature, anything less than a 2.1 is pretty useless.

some wont agree with me here but fact is its useless.

When you look at the economic conditions you must stand out from others getting a good results is one way of doing so plus, which makes it easier to get internship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 jbr

Is the internship strictly for penultimate year students? I am finished with a masters and CAP 2 exemptions. I am interested in getting relevant accounting experience. Even if I didn't get a Big 4 contract I would love the experience to secure a training contract elsewhere.

The application is a real pain, theres so many parts and I want to do it really well so its taking me ages!
    A degree lower than 2.1 is useless if you want to work for the big4 but I dont think its entirely useless. Accounting is my major so hopefully ive got a good chance. I would like Dublin but I'd take anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭jubella

I'm applying for these summer internships too. My grades are pretty good but I have very little previous work experience in any form... Will that hurt my chances of getting an interview?

Also, is it only the big 4 that offer summer internships, or are they offered in other firms too?

jubella wrote: »
    I'm applying for these summer internships too. My grades are pretty good but I have very little previous work experience in any form... Will that hurt my chances of getting an interview?

Also, is it only the big 4 that offer summer internships, or are they offered in other firms too?

I dont know if having no work experience hinders your prospects, I really dont know.

What course do you do ? is it a 3 or 4yearcorse ?

The big 4 looks good on the cv very good actually.

Other firms do give internship as well you would have to look for them, a rigorous but worthwhile process.

This is what I say to those looking for interns dont waste your time doing internship with a company that's not a household one meaning dont choose a company/firm that is known only locally. In my opinion you might gain little or no experience at all.

its not only the Big 4 that's popular there are loads of them.

I dont know if having no work experience hinders your prospects, I really dont know.

What course do you do ? is it a 3 or 4yearcorse ?

The big 4 looks good on the cv very good actually.

Other firms do give internship as well you would have to look for them, a rigorous but worthwhile process.

This is what I say to those looking for interns dont waste your time doing internship with a company that's not a household one meaning dont choose a company/firm that is known only locally. In my opinion you might gain little or no experience at all.

its not only the Big 4 that's popular there are loads of them.

3 year - With an option of taking next year out if you can get work exp.
    I know, I'd much prefer an internship with the big 4, but I don't want to waste my summer if I don't get in, so I'd take any experience that was going to be honest!

3 year - With an option of taking next year out if you can get work exp.
    I know, I'd much prefer an internship with the big 4, but I don't want to waste my summer if I don't get in, so I'd take any experience that was going to be honest!

Depending on what college you go they could help you out with some placements.

The 4 year options sound good to me, if you get one abroad you're sorted.

With good companies like the Big 4 you the probability of getting a job with them is 8/10 if you do well in your intern.

Its also easier to get in as an intern as a 2nd year student than to apply after finishing your degree.

Apply for some KMPG and deloitte, application is a pain in the ass over 6000words, not a joke.

Do many people get called for interview? I know there are 80 plces with deloitte but obviously more than that will be interviewed. My degree has a work placement for half of 3rd year and i'd love to do that with Deloitte, thing is my results aren't fantastic, was just short of 2.1 standard in 1st year

eh its very bad in dublin, too much competition.

I am doing same course as well but economics is my major. im in 2nd year and i was filling out internship applications. it was a fcuking pain in the ass.

I am telling you it takes over an hour to fill out applications from the big 4.

I probably should have emphasised TOO in "not too difficult".
    Most people I know who applied in 2011 got offers for Dublin.
    However they would all have had at least 6 months work experience from their college courses and they were all high 2.1/1.1 candidates.

However all of the other people on internship with me did courses with no work experience (some had other relevant experience) and managed to get in.

And it took me way more than an hour to fill out the applications! More like 4 hours each at least (Deloitte is really short)!

Best of luck to everyone anyways!

Do many people get called for interview? I know there are 80 plces with deloitte but obviously more than that will be interviewed. My degree has a work placement for half of 3rd year and i'd love to do that with Deloitte, thing is my results aren't fantastic, was just short of 2.1 standard in 1st year

I dont know how many people but one can estimate that there would be a lot I'd say 200.

your 1st yr results in a way matters as they would at an average of what you've have now but with kpmg or pwc, yes pwc they ask tell us why your results was low at this point in time.

In short its a tough process, if you want to do it go for it.

I really dont know why I want to it as I detest accounting, but i hope they have some use for me that's if they call me for the interview, if i were to pass to the next stage and if the excitement doesn't kill me or the pain from the application process.

And as its a requirement from your college your college should sort it out for you.

And it means that as from now your results must be good at least 2.1 range.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

Sorry to bump up this thread.
    I got called for an interview with Deloitte, does anybody know if the interview is the only interview, or is it one of many?

Thanks.

• Advertisement

I dont know but I havent heard anything yet

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭EDudder

Just in case anyone that needs to hear this is reading.

If you're a normal down to earth person with good common sense/business sense - not getting a 2.1 isn't the end of the world. Even when it comes to the Big 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Only applied to KPMG (they were the only ones that didn't specify that you had to have completed a year of college), anyone heard back from them yet?

I'm a 1st year so slim chances I'm guessing.

I had the interview today, it went quite well. The interviewers were lovely, really put me at ease. I think it went quite well, some questions I should have answered better, but I was happy overall.

Apparently I will know within a week or two, if i got the job. Fingers crossed, it really looked like an amazing place to work.

Cian92 wrote: »
    I had the interview today, it went quite well. The interviewers were lovely, really put me at ease. I think it went quite well, some questions I should have answered better, but I was happy overall.

Apparently I will know within a week or two, if i got the job. Fingers crossed, it really looked like an amazing place to work.

Good luck! Hope you get it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

I cant seem to find the option to apply for the internship on the E&Y site, can anyone help with this?!

Gandalph wrote: »
    I cant seem to find the option to apply for the internship on the E&Y site, can anyone help with this?!

http://www.ey.com/IE/en/Careers/Students/Your-role-here/Undergraduates---Final-year---EY-Summer-Internship

There is a link for the online application form at the bottom of that page under "How Do I Apply"

You better get going, the closing date is the 23rd!

You better get going, the closing date is the 23rd!

Cheers found it in the end! Done and dusted!
    I didnt even know about these internships until I got a message from grad-Ireland recently.

Gandalph wrote: »
    Cheers found it in the end! Done and dusted!
    I didnt even know about these internships until I got a message from grad-Ireland recently.

how many hours did it take to fill out the application form.

I'm tempted to fill it but didn't get enough points in my L.c.

• Advertisement

I was pretty distracted doing it so took awhile, I already had a CV done up though so that saved time. Id say a good 2-3 hours if you start your CV afresh.If you didnt get the required points they allow you explain why + you can convince them that you really want it & you're capable then Im sure they would so dont worry about the LC points & apply to all of the accounting firms anyway! PWC, E&Y and Deloitte! KPMG's deadline was the 17th.

Feck thats what I thought, I have a template of the possible questions anyway.

thanks and good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Good to hear it went well!
    With KPMG was it?
    I just got a call there today that I'll have an interview sometime this week, hopefully not too early as I have to travel home to pick up my suit :P.

How did you prepare for it? What kind of questions did they ask? Particularly, any technical accounting questions?

Any help at all would be very much appreciated,
    Regards,
    Rothmans.

Feck thats what I thought, I have a template of the possible questions anyway.

thanks and good luck.

Could you possibly send that on to me, would help to know the range of possible questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭shadowysmile

ohhhhh....Congrats! I never expected interviews coming so early? The deadline for big 4 is around 23th Feb and their websites saying they wouldn't start to view applications until deadline.

When did you send your application? Should be very early I suppose? really hope to get my asap:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭yesman2000

What did everyone use for Academic Referee in PwC's application. Not that easy in a big University where they don't even know you're name never mind what you're like.

• Advertisement

yesman2000 wrote: »
    What did everyone use for Academic Referee in PwC's application. Not that easy in a big University where they don't even know you're name never mind what you're like.

Lord, I'll have to apply to pwc, ey and Deloitte today/tomorrow. I asked my Financial Acc lecturer, and she agreed, although as you said, big university and all that, if she passed me on the street she prob wouldn't even recognise me.
    I asked my Revenue lecturer also, and as its a much smaller class, she does actually know who I am :D.

Have people heard back from KPMG about their summer internship application yet?

AdamD wrote: »
    Have people heard back from KPMG about their summer internship application yet?

Ya, just this morning tho, wbu?

Nothing as of yet

Just my year head, After I already wrote down the referee I my business faculty head told me his brother works in corporate finance in PWC, I should of wrote him down aswel but never got the chance to ask him. I applied to corporate finance in 3 of the firms

• Advertisement

Rothmans wrote: »
    Good to hear it went well!
    With KPMG was it?
    I just got a call there today that I'll have an interview sometime this week, hopefully not too early as I have to travel home to pick up my suit :P.

How did you prepare for it? What kind of questions did they ask? Particularly, any technical accounting questions?

Any help at all would be very much appreciated,
    Regards,
    Rothmans.

It was actually with Deloitte. I'm still waiting to hear back from them. The only technical question I got was, Why do you believe the recession started in Ireland. All in all it was an easy interview.

I used my accounting lecturer, who also happens to be in charge of internships for 2nd year in my college. He wouldn't know me that well, but he'd be able to see what I was like from grades and attendance records. I don't think they'd expect the academic referee to know you on a personal level, that would be what the other referee is for.

guys,

did anyone fill in their l.c subjects and points while applying to ernst and young.

I've reached a section education and it says fill the relevant ones but there's no way to fill ones L.C subjects.

the bloody effort, giving this up for now.

going to bed

I got a phone call from deloitte saying they have begun to review applications and will be in contact over the next week

I got a phone call from deloitte saying they have begun to review applications and will be in contact over the next week

??? They gave you a call just let you know they start to review applications? Pretty weird...You might be chosen to get a interview I suppose. Good Luck boddy~

??? They gave you a call just let you know they start to review applications? Pretty weird...You might be chosen to get a interview I suppose. Good Luck boddy~
    I dont think I have just yet! I made a few mistakes on the application which they wanted to clarify

Just finished my last application this morning. I don't ever want to look at an application form again :p
    Best of luck to everyone who applied!

maybe its just me but their software is rubbish. its th worst of the big 4 IMO. i saved some drafts and i logged back in its not there.

Maybe its the user:mad:

maybe its just me but their software is rubbish. its th worst of the big 4 IMO. i saved some drafts and i logged back in its not there.

Maybe its the user:mad:

I've recorded everything on word doc which would be needed by the applications. The systems are just not stable so you'd better save them on your own drive and just need to copy+paste when you log on next time. It's handy enough... good luck~

• Advertisement
Advertisement