Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer internships

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭shadowysmile

ryanf1 wrote: »
    I dont think I have just yet! I made a few mistakes on the application which they wanted to clarify

hah...that means you're a quite potential candidate or why they bother to notice you if you are not :)bright:) enough...

hopefully we can get aboard this time! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭yesman2000

Got an interview with PwC, so any hints or tips would be great. First formal job interview, little bit daunting :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

yesman2000 wrote: »
    Got an interview with PwC, so any hints or tips would be great. First formal job interview, little bit daunting :/

Did they contact you by email or phone? I've only recently got a confirmation email off them of reviewing applications!

E-mail about an hour or so ago

E-mail about an hour or so ago

yeah, me too. Just got a mail said they start to review those applications...when did you submit your application? Should be early enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭jubella

Same! Booked in for Tuesday. Nerves are starting to kick in :/ I got a text from them, was very surprised!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

jubella wrote: »
    Same! Booked in for Tuesday. Nerves are starting to kick in :/ I got a text from them, was very surprised!

Surprised to get the interview or to be contacted by text?
    It was some lengthy application form tho wasn't it?

I booked in for Wednesday, not too enthusiastic about the case study tho lol :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Case study?

Gandalph wrote: »
    Case study?

Did it not say that in your email?
    20 mins to analyse a case study, then get questions on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Wow lads that was quick. Do you mind asking how your results were ? that's was very quick. I only submitted my PWC last week and Deloitte yesterday.

Wow lads that was quick. Do you mind asking how your results were ? that's was very quick. I only submitted my PWC last week and Deloitte yesterday.

2.1 in first and second year, and 2.1 so far this year. Wbu?

Nice. Messed up in 1sst semester last year. Got 2.2 lat year then a 2.1 this semester.

I'm hoping that they start judging from 2nd semester of last year.

Rothmans wrote: »

Surprised to get the interview or to be contacted by text?
    It was some lengthy application form tho wasn't it?

I booked in for Wednesday, not too enthusiastic about the case study tho lol :P

Surprised to get a text! But also very surprised to get an interview!
    I don't ever want to fill out an application form again after these ones, they just take sooo long!

Yeah I hope the case study is easy enough... At least it'll take up a few mins of the interview talking about it!

Good luck everyone :)

Average is just over the 1:1 mark. Very surprised how quick they got back since I only finished up Wednesday night late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭Kehoejck

When I got my case study it had little relevance in my interview as my interviewers just brought it up at the end for a few minutes. Just ensure that you have a good jist of it and have something to say and you will be fine.

What will make or break you is how well you come across. If you can come across well, ye should be sorted! Just keep talking and be honest.

• Advertisement

Kehoejck wrote: »
    What will make or break you is how well you come across. If you can come across well, ye should be sorted! Just keep talking and be honest.
    What would you mean by how well you come across would it be friendliness or more technical kmowledge

When I got my case study it had little relevance in my interview as my interviewers just brought it up at the end for a few minutes. Just ensure that you have a good jist of it and have something to say and you will be fine.

What was the case study you got about, and what kind of things did they ask you about it, if you dont mind me asking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I got an automated email from deloitte confirming they have received my application and will be in contact over the coming days. I just hope they dont ring me while im in a Lecture and cant answer:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭TokenWhite

Would it be worth applying now? even though the deadline has passed? Had a quick look at the PWC website and you can still go through the motions of applying but not sure if they would bother screening it given the deadline was thursday.

There are still other companies that accept applications for internship. Some deadlines are next week.

Anyone considering applying for internship overseas as I am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭TokenWhite

There are still other companies that accept applications for internship. Some deadlines are next week.

Anyone considering applying for internship overseas as I am.

Any ideas on which ones? I'm a complete greenhorn when it comes to these things. Did a quick google check and the only undergraduate internships I can seem to find are for the Big 4, the rest seem to be training internships with a view to a full time job. And the overseas internships? I'm assuming you mean with the big 4? Would I be expecting too much if I were to think they might pay for flights, visa etc?

Just got a call from Ernst & Young. Another Interview :)

So straight after my PwC interview on Tuesday, I've to go to a presentation for E&Y, then I have ny interview and assessment for E&Y on wednesday.

I'm stressing out big time now!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭kieran4003

I received an email from Ernst & Young rejecting me because I am not a penultimate year student. (Iam in the 2nd of a 4 year degree) As dissapointed as I am, I can kind of understand it too.

However I have not heard anything from the other three though. I am getting kind of worried at this stage, the fact that others are hearing back. Would they still have a lot of people to contact? It is just I really need this, I have been trying to get any bit of part time work for over 18 months and I have never got anything.

Tbh I'm not surprised that they caled you. You should get an offer from one of them.

It's still early stages in application so dont stress yourself. Just have a good time. I'm surprised that their presentation is very early, I thought it would be next week.

Always focus on your strength for E&Y. If you're stuck email Michael or the girl that got the intern role last year.

kieran4003 wrote: »
    I received an email from Ernst & Young rejecting me because I am not a penultimate year student. (Iam in the 2nd of a 4 year degree) As dissapointed as I am, I can kind of understand it too.

However I have not heard anything from the other three though. I am getting kind of worried at this stage, the fact that others are hearing back. Would they still have a lot of people to contact? It is just I really need this, I have been trying to get any bit of part time work for over 18 months and I have never got anything.

I'm not really worried if I don't get offer. To be honest the big 4 is the last choice I'll resort to for work exp.

There other companies that are hiring.
    If you were to search this forum you'll see loads.

My career choice is a bit different/weird so getting an internship will be difficult.

Try gradireland. You'll see some intern roles.

Good luck and don't stress.

Tbh I'm not surprised that they caled you. You should get an offer from one of them.

It's still early stages in application so dont stress yourself. Just have a good time. I'm surprised that their presentation is very early, I thought it would be next week.

Always focus on your strength for E&Y. If you're stuck email Michael or the girl that got the intern role last year.

Do you go to maynooth?!
    If you do, you don't by any chance know the girls name or email who got the internship last year? I'd love to talk to her again but can't remember her name :/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

kieran4003 wrote: »
    I received an email from Ernst & Young rejecting me because I am not a penultimate year student. (Iam in the 2nd of a 4 year degree) As dissapointed as I am, I can kind of understand it too..
    Do they only take people in their penultimate year or people about to graduate too? :o
    Do these internships generally lead to actual jobs or is it hit and miss?

Posy wrote: »
    Do they only take people in their penultimate year or people about to graduate too? :o
    Do these internships generally lead to actual jobs or is it hit and miss?

As far as I know most of the Big4 state that the internships are for those who are in their penultimate year, with a view to starting a graduate job in september of next year.
    We had a presentation from a recruiter at E&Y and she said unless there's a problem, you'll pretty much be offered a graduate contract on completion of the internship.

@freeze4real
    This won't let me reply to your message, but thanks a million, I'll try that :)

@freeze4real
    This won't let me reply to your message, but thanks a million, I'll try that :)

haha yea that's the privacy settings, just fixed it.

Good luck

• Advertisement

Alright, seems like most of people got offers from E&Y, Deloitte or PwC...is there any news from KPMG? Its deadline was even earlier but still no response so far...kinda worried.

Alright, seems like most of people got offers from E&Y, Deloitte or PwC...is there any news from KPMG? Its deadline was even earlier but still no response so far...kinda worried.

There's no way that they've carried out he first screening process it's just rid joist fast unless they used automated software to arrow it down afaik only works wrote results and university type.

If its so it's bull****.

Trusts me the screening takes atleast 1 week to 2 weeks.

And I've already forgotten about kpmg.

There's no way that they've carried out he first screening process it's just rid joist fast unless they used automated software to arrow it down afaik only works wrote results and university type.

If its so it's bull****.

Trusts me the screening takes atleast 1 week to 2 weeks.

And I've already forgotten about kpmg.

That make sense but like E&Y said they would have a presentation(Invited only) on 29th night which means all screening process would be finished within 1 week and half at most.

Actually I think they already started to review since they received applications and after deadline, they just need to decide the rest maybe a quarter I suppose...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Haven't heard back from KPMG, though I'm a first year so is very unlikely I'll get it.

Yeah I had kind of expected to have at least received a "sorry, your application has been unsuccessful" email from KPMG by now. Maybe their screening process is much more rigorous?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lk101

hey does anyone have any idea what type of thing the case study will be about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lukess

Does anybody know if the Pwc internship pays?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 igiveup2

I got called for an interview with PwC, too, was kind of surprised to hear back from them on Friday since I only applied on Thursday. Does anyone have any idea of how many people they are going to interview and how many they are actually going to take on? It only gave me about 10 slots to choose from for my interview so I thought maybe that's the amount of people they are going to interview? Seems a bit low though. It's kinda intimidating, there's supposed to be pretty senior people attending the interview and the idea of a panel is just scary. Oh well, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Legwinski

igiveup2 wrote: »
    I got called for an interview with PwC, too, was kind of surprised to hear back from them on Friday since I only applied on Thursday. Does anyone have any idea of how many people they are going to interview and how many they are actually going to take on? It only gave me about 10 slots to choose from for my interview so I thought maybe that's the amount of people they are going to interview? Seems a bit low though. It's kinda intimidating, there's supposed to be pretty senior people attending the interview and the idea of a panel is just scary. Oh well, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger I guess.

I think they took on approx 50 last year.....

For me last year it was one senior person and one young enough person. They were nice enough. Can't remember too much more but it was the least relaxed of the interviews I did (mainly because of the senior guy).

I wasn't overly happy with myself after it but still managed to get an offer so don't stress too much!

• Advertisement

Yeah I had kind of expected to have at least received a "sorry, your application has been unsuccessful" email from KPMG by now. Maybe their screening process is much more rigorous?

Yea, me too. Just wanna know "you want me or not" at least...so annoying that they put us on this situation.

As far as I know some friends of mine got offers from EY or PWC who even just submitted the day before the deadline and all of them achieved 75% or even more in 1st year so I guess the big four have that kinda automated system which just keep those whose marks are above some level lets say 65% and ignore the rest.

But tricky thing is some people I know have already got the "rejection" email from kpmg or others...so really confused what kind of situation are we at???

Quite sure about EY...if you don't get any contact before 29th morning then you are out 'casue they have a presentation on that night just for whose who got interview opportunities...

Guess we have to face this for another couple of days, don't we...:o

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

I don't know about PWC, but E&Y take on 27 between the Dublin and Belfast offices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

hey guys i applied for a few of these internships - even though Im graduated already with 5 years non accounting work experience. do they tend to take on interns with my background?

As far as I know some friends of mine got offers from EY or PWC who even just submitted the day before the deadline and all of them achieved 75% or even more in 1st year so I guess the big four have that kinda automated system which just keep those whose marks are above some level lets say 65% and ignore the rest.

But tricky thing is some people I know have already got the "rejection" email from kpmg or others...so really confused what kind of situation are we at???

Quite sure about EY...if you don't get any contact before 29th morning then you are out 'casue they have a presentation on that night just for whose who got interview opportunities...

Guess we have to face this for another couple of days, don't we...:o

Yeah I'd say the interviews I have are purely because of my results!

Is the E&Y presentation not on the 28th, as in tomorrow? That's what the woman told me on the phone?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭Kehoejck

What was the case study you got about, and what kind of things did they ask you about it, if you dont mind me asking?

Mine was about a FDI with a foreign company wishing to establish itself in Ireland. You had to advise on what services that PwC could possibly offer this client.

I believe that the case studies were rotated and a number of different ones used. If I was to give someone advise I would just saw study up on what services each Big 4 company offers. If you can demonstrate that you have done some additional research it will be acknowledged. They don't really expect people in college to know the full ins and outs of Accountancy firms already :).

lukess wrote: »
    Does anybody know if the Pwc internship pays?

Yes, as far as I know all Big 4 internships pay.

• Advertisement

It makes sense now loo they must have filtered the results to choose only front the beat one.

It could be a speculation but that's the only explanation I could result to, but hey would they say if you don't meet our Minimum requirements write why you're not a Weak candidate or something like that. Lol

At least a rejection email will be nice.

To those who have an interview good luck an all the best and post your experience so peonies who didn't get a place can get jealous. Lol just kidding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Got a phone call off Deloitte today for a competency based interview on Wednesday. Anyone got any idea what exactly that will entail? Thanks.

Yeah I'd say the interviews I have are purely because of my results!

Is the E&Y presentation not on the 28th, as in tomorrow? That's what the woman told me on the phone?!

Yeah, should be tomorrow. The schedule has been changed a day in advance. Good luck mate~

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

SantryRed wrote: »
    Got a phone call off Deloitte today for a competency based interview on Wednesday. Anyone got any idea what exactly that will entail? Thanks.
    They told me they would be in contact over the next few days so hopefully I shoul hear from hem this week

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭--homeslice--

Have an interview for pwc tomorrow... I hear they're lovely so im really hoping to get offered a place!

• Advertisement
Advertisement