Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer internships

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭shadowysmile

jubella wrote: »
    They had a list of questions in front of them, and a lot of it was very quick fire I thought. They kept going on about how it was going to be more of a conversation type thing but it wasnt like that at all.

Ohhh, that was scary! You would be nervous if you see they have some kind of question book thing...my friend who got a interview from EY said she had been interviewed by 40 mins which is Jesus Christ!!! She said that lady just keep asking and no break....

woooo...I think I won't be that disappointed now if I get rejection mail from EY...:rolleyes:

Good Luck, Jubella~

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭daithiolabhrai

So I've had some good luck when it comes to these internship applications, as all big 4 have offered me interviews. KPMG first, then PwC, then EY this morning, and I was scheduled to have an interview with Deloitte tomorrow morning. KPMG offered me the internship, before I did any of the other interviews but I went to PwC and EY just for the experience. I cancelled the Deloitte interview for tomorrow because I've already decided to accept the KPMG offer, and to be honest I have a lot of college work I need to be getting back to.

So the reason I posted this was just to see if anyone had any questions about the interview format etc? I've been quite relaxed since Monday when KPMG gave me the offer and so would like to help out anyone who still has interviews and is worried. As I said, I cancelled the Deloitte interview so can't help out too much on that, but the other three I've all done.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭--homeslice--

So I've had some good luck when it comes to these internship applications, as all big 4 have offered me interviews. KPMG first, then PwC, then EY this morning, and I was scheduled to have an interview with Deloitte tomorrow morning. KPMG offered me the internship, before I did any of the other interviews but I went to PwC and EY just for the experience. I cancelled the Deloitte interview for tomorrow because I've already decided to accept the KPMG offer, and to be honest I have a lot of college work I need to be getting back to.

So the reason I posted this was just to see if anyone had any questions about the interview format etc? I've been quite relaxed since Monday when KPMG gave me the offer and so would like to help out anyone who still has interviews and is worried. As I said, I cancelled the Deloitte interview so can't help out too much on that, but the other three I've all done.

First of all congratulations! That's brilliant, I'm sure you're over the moon! I have EY Friday and am just not too sure what to expect. I only got a call off them yesterday and wasn't told about the information evening thing so i just have the interview. How long did it last for approximately and what was the aptitude test like?

First of all congratulations! That's brilliant, I'm sure you're over the moon! I have EY Friday and am just not too sure what to expect. I only got a call off them yesterday and wasn't told about the information evening thing so i just have the interview. How long did it last for approximately and what was the aptitude test like?

Hey. Thanks a million, I really am delighted! Well I had the EY one this morning, but like you, I wasn't told about the information evening thing so felt a slight bit disadvantaged. Nonetheless, the day went fine and I was happy enough with my performance. There was about 12 of us, and we were split into two groups of 6 - the first group did the interviews first, and the test after, and the second group (mine) vice versa. So the aptitude test is tough, very time pressured, but everyone was in the same boat and everyone found it tough so I wouldn't be too disheartened if it doesn't go too well. The interview was different to the other ones I did, as it focussed more on your own strengths as a person rather than your CV experience, etc. It's not something you can prepare for as much as other interviews, so my advice would be to just go in with a smile and positive attitude and not to get too bogged down in preparation. All the people there were lovely and will put you at ease within the first few minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭The___________

Rothmans wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that. I just have two quick questions, what department were you applying for, and how soon after the interview did you hear beck from them?

Regards,
    Rothmans.

Nothing to be sorry about! the commitments at home are to do with football, I'm taking the third year of my degree as an international year so I'll get 6 months of Big 4 experience after 4 months of studying in Albany-New York.

My case may be a bit different from yours as I applied for the International Student Business Forum and so had my interview on Monday the 20th, heard back from yesterday. I had indicated a preference for Audit in Dublin. But I knew that it probably wasn't going to suit my plans for the summer.

If you have any questions about the interview itself don't hesitate to ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Tsaic

I had PwC interview yesterday. A few people who were interviewed yesterday got calls today to say they were successful. I didn't get a call unfortunately so I think I've been unsuccessful

• Registered Users Posts: 38 igiveup2

Tsaic wrote: »
    I had PwC interview yesterday. A few people who were interviewed yesterday got calls today to say they were successful. I didn't get a call unfortunately so I think I've been unsuccessful

do you know this for a fact? i was told that interviews were possibly going to continue into thursday and that i should expect to hear back from them on friday or monday...

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Tsaic

I don't know for a fact that I have been unsuccessful, I just assumed that I have been since I didn't get a call and some people did.

I was also told that I would hear on Friday or Monday, I wonder why some people heard today though.

perhaps they have already offered internships to those they definitely want to hire as the majority of interviews was taking place yesterday and today...maybe we should try and not read so much into it...

Tsaic wrote: »
    I don't know for a fact that I have been unsuccessful, I just assumed that I have been since I didn't get a call and some people did.

I was also told that I would hear on Friday or Monday, I wonder why some people heard today though.

I had PwC yesterday and my interviewers said that they all meet at 5pm to recommend who should receive an offer, then its left to HR to go through these recommendations, double check the applications and make the offers.. I was told I'd find out at the end of the week so I'm still staying hopeful!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

Does anybody know how many places Deloitte offer in the Cork branch?

It's also possible that they're really interested in some people and they're trying to make them an offer before other firms...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Legwinski

Cian92 wrote: »
    Does anybody know how many places Deloitte offer in the Cork branch?

It was 2 last year in audit as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Ive been called for an interview with e and y, would someone who has done it recently give me a few examples of the questions you were asked? Pm if you like. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Got rejected from KPMG, but they said this at least?

We were really impressed with your application however, and we would like to keep in touch with you because we feel that your academic and other achievements to date make you an ideal candidate for KPMG in the future. Every year we hire 250 – 300 graduates whereas for the internship programme, we only hire 30 – 40 students.

We are keen for you to apply for an internship again or a graduate trainee position with KPMG. We would like to add your details to our ‘Talent Pool’ database and keep in touch with you / update you on our new and upcoming opportunities. You can email me at any time to take your details off the database.

We are also going to organise a separate event for the applicants that really impressed us and we would love to invite you along to this. I will be back in touch with more details over the coming weeks and hopefully this will suit you.

Reckon everybody gets that?

I'm a first year so not too disappointed as I wasn't expecting to get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭jubella

statss wrote: »
    Ive been called for an interview with e and y, would someone who has done it recently give me a few examples of the questions you were asked? Pm if you like. Thanks.

They ask a lot about how you work well with others, and what would you do in a situation where your team was struggling, or someone criticised your work and things like that. Also have something to say about the economy, and know a bit about the different depts in EY, especially in the area you're applying for.
    They'll ask you about things from your application and CV too, so know those well.

They ask a lot about how you work well with others, and what would you do in a situation where your team was struggling, or someone criticised your work and things like that. Also have something to say about the economy, and know a bit about the different depts in EY, especially in the area you're applying for.
    They'll ask you about things from your application and CV too, so know those well.

Thanks. Did you notice any other applicants seeming a little older than 3/4th year college students? I'm been out of college for a few years now.

Has anyone here heard from pwc yet?

No, I haven't heard from PwC yet.

Thanks. Did you notice any other applicants seeming a little older than 3/4th year college students? I'm been out of college for a few years now.

yeah there were quite a few people who would be older, dont worry about that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Eoghan41

Haven't heard yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Has anyone here heard from pwc yet?

Nope, haven't heard yet. Had the interview yeaterday, they said they'd prob get back today, or possibly Friday, when did they say they'd get back to you?

I think a few people here were told that they would hear back from PwC on Friday or Monday. I am hoping that some people will reject their offer because they might have already been offered a place by some other firm.

igiveup2 wrote: »
    I think a few people here were told that they would hear back from PwC on Friday or Monday. I am hoping that some people will reject their offer because they might have already been offered a place by some other firm.

Aren't we all :P got the rejection letter from KPMG this morning so if I don't get this I'm emigrating for the summer!

Ya, I ain't too hopeful about PwC though, the interview was very intense for my liking. I think it was due to the fact that you're interviewed by a manager AND a partner. The Deloitte interview I found to be a good bit more relaxed.

Anyone else think this, or am I just imagining things?

Yeah I was told they should know by the end of the week.. It's unbelievably horrible, every time my phone vibrates I get a slight glimmer of hope... but nothing as of yet! Come on lads, get rejecting so we can have some hope!

I thought the interview was very relaxed, which I also think worked against me, started taking things too lightly I suppose. In any case not expecting an offer. Good for the experience though!

I feel as though I could live without the internship but I could not live with the rejection...but that happens every time I go for something I guess.

Eoghan41 wrote: »
    I thought the interview was very relaxed, which I also think worked against me, started taking things too lightly I suppose. In any case not expecting an offer. Good for the experience though!

Yeah looking back on it I feel the same, hindsight is a great thing isn't it! :p

• Advertisement

I feel as though I could live without the internship but I could not live with the rejection...but that happens every time I go for something I guess.

You've got a tough live ahead of you brah :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭monaghanman10

Interview and assessment centre with ey tomorrow.anyone have any tips be greatly appreciated

Interview and assessment centre with ey tomorrow.anyone have any tips be greatly appreciated

Did you get a call or an email?

christ seems like there's going to be loads of us in e & y tomorrow. I'll be the one with the wedding ring, ha.

christ seems like there's going to be loads of us in e & y tomorrow. I'll be the one with the wedding ring, ha.

I'll be the one crying in the corner.. haha oh the joys of life!

hey lads, we all have been through such a long long journey so far and some people got what they want but some people were not that lucky:(.

A lot of friends and classmates around me sent their applications with strong hopes according to the requirements but haven't got any feedback or just a rejection email. I don't think that is fair enough cause you could't get any improvement next time if you don't know what's your real weakness for big 4.

Therefore I propose could those people who got interview opportunities no matter how many just post your gardes and college name down here? because I was wondering the marks and colleges are two primary key for been chosen to get a interview opportunity.

we can share these informations which would be useful for those who were not successful to get interview to check their own level and how far away from the 'actual' line. They may can try to make it up next time depending on our rough 'benchmarks'. :)

Hope we can build a 'quite' database. Appreciate everyone!

• Advertisement

I will do first...
    Interview opportunity from Deloitte and EY.
    College: DIT
    1st year grade: 68%.
    I thought the reason that I have been chosen was i had a internship experience during last summer holiday considering my grade was not good at all becuase other people I know who got interview are all above 75%.

College: UCD (Ec&Fi)
    First Year GPA: 3.17
    2nd Year so far : 3.56
    Interviews: Deloitte (Audit) PwC (RAS)
    Rejections: KPMG

College: UCD (Law)
    1st year gpa:3.57
    2nd year gpa: 3.65
    Interview opportunities: deloitte, pwc, ey. didn't apply to kpmg.

UCD (BBL) 2H1 in first, secong and so far in 3rd year.
    Applied to: KPMG, Deloitte, PwC.
    Rejections (so far): KPMG.
    Waiting on response from: The other two.

Trinity (BESS)
    Got a II.1 in both first and second year
    Got interviews with all four, offered an internship with KPMG

• Advertisement

NUIM Business & Accounting
    1st Class Honours for 1st year and so far in 2nd
    Applied to all Big 4
    Interviews with PwC and EY
    Yet to hear from other two, and yet to hear back from PwC and EY after interview.

Rothmans wrote: »
    Ya, I ain't too hopeful about PwC though, the interview was very intense for my liking. I think it was due to the fact that you're interviewed by a manager AND a partner. The Deloitte interview I found to be a good bit more relaxed.

Anyone else think this, or am I just imagining things?

I actually thought my PwC interview was quite relaxed. Both my interviewers were very friendly and I didn't feel that nervous during the interview. I didn't have a partner though, I had a director and a senior manager. Mine was quite conversational, which I liked, but I don't know how good that is :/

UCD (Commerce)
    Grades: 3.23 (in 1st half of 1st year :P)

Applied to KPMG and was rejected

Not much use :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭cat_xx

AdamD wrote: »
    UCD (Commerce)
    Grades: 3.23 (in 1st half of 1st year :P)

Applied to KPMG and was rejected

Not much use :P

Pretty sure you have to have done one full year in college to apply but sure its no harm to try!

cat_xx wrote: »
    Pretty sure you have to have done one full year in college to apply but sure its no harm to try!

Yeah KPMG were the only ones who didn't specify that so I chanced my arm

on a different note, has anyone heard back from PWC re Summer Internship Programme - Consulting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Got offered the internship today in Audit by Deloitte after the interview yesterday. Delighted :)

SantryRed wrote: »
    Got offered the internship today in Audit by Deloitte after the interview yesterday. Delighted :)

Have interview for audit on Thursday on the phone. Any advice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Eoghan41 wrote: »
    Have interview for audit on Thursday on the phone. Any advice?

Just know your CV and application as they asked me plenty of questions on that. They barely deviated away from that. Be calm and make sure to sell yourself to them. At the end of the day that's what an interview is for, come across as confident but not arrogant.

SantryRed wrote: »

Congratulations on getting the summer internship. When did they call if you don't mind me asking?

• Advertisement
Advertisement