Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sewage at Bundoran

Options
  • 14-10-2011 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hey folks, a little heads up, myself and a friend went surfing at Tullan yesterday afternoon (Thursday 13th 2011) and have been sick as dogs since, and we won't be the only ones, there were quite a few people out. We could see dodgy-looking foam floating around before we got in but thought it would be ok. Headaches, vomiting etc...Still sick now.

If you're up there at the weekend beware.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Yuck! :( thanks for the heads-up, and get well soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

hope you're feeling better soon. there's a river there isn't there that comes off a load of farm land? i've done some swims across there and swam into what i could only describe as ****. i've surfed some other reef breaks in sligo and had really brown water (not smelly) running off streams when in high flow. not nice either.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,276 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Sounds rank, hope you're feeling better OP

Didn't Enniscrone lose it's blue flag for a while because of something like this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Similar story from Enniscrone a few years back. A friend out the same day was unconvinced but i'm naturally suspicious and hold less faith in my fellow people.

Yeah I saw the same, foamy brown water and i'm nearly sure I saw small pieces of tissues. It all seemed so unbelievable at the time but on reflection and a bit of research on the net, the truth was there.

Made sure I had my Hepititis shots after that.

Stay safe both at home and abroad.

http://surf.transworld.net/1000077915/features/seven-surf-sicknesses/

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭keryl

Went to Enniscrone Thursday, felt sick and got sick yesterday... Could be me but it's suspicious.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,276 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It rained a fair bit during the week, might have something to do with it?

THe water always looks pretty murky at enniscrone compared to most other beaches I've surf, could just be silt from the river too though I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Never the best to surf at a river mouth after heavy rain, kinda asking for trouble

Mickeroo wrote: »
    It rained a fair bit during the week, might have something to do with it?

THe water always looks pretty murky at enniscrone compared to most other beaches I've surf, could just be silt from the river too though I suppose.

Its been about 4 years since I was in Enniscrone so i'm not sure what it is like these days but doing a google search pulls up all kinds of problems the beach has had over the years with sewage.

Here's a link to an article in the Western People from 2003. The scourge of turds indeed.

http://www.westernpeople.ie/news/kfeyqlgbkf/

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭keryl

rodento wrote: »
    Never the best to surf at a river mouth after heavy rain, kinda asking for trouble

I understand what you mean but why a Blue Flag? Anyway, can't be sure it was the cause of sewerage so I'm not gonna start saying Enniscrone has a problem.

keryl wrote: »
    I understand what you mean but why a Blue Flag? Anyway, can't be sure it was the cause of sewerage so I'm not gonna start saying Enniscrone has a problem.

Ireland has a big problem with sewerage especially in rural areas, it's because of all those septic tanks that don't get maintained or put in properly in the first place, not to mention the one-off houses that get built on sites with a high water table because the test-hole gets pumped every day before the inspector comes. It's when it rains heavy all the crap gets run off into the sea so it's pretty much unavoidable here at the moment unfortunately :(

Thankfully I've not come in contact with it first hand while surfing yet, to my knowledge at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Ireland has a big problem with sewerage especially in rural areas, it's because of all those septic tanks that don't get maintained or put in properly in the first place, not to mention the one-off houses that get built on sites with a high water table because the test-hole gets pumped every day before the inspector comes. It's when it rains heavy all the crap gets run off into the sea so it's pretty much unavoidable here at the moment unfortunately :(

Thankfully I've not come in contact with it first hand while surfing yet, to my knowledge at least.
    Its not only septic tanks, most towns and some cities have no treatment of their sewage, its just pumped into the nearest waterway.
    Do you know how your sewage is dealt with? Most people don't care once they pull the lever and it dissappears.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Its not only septic tanks, most towns and some cities have no treatment of their sewage, its just pumped into the nearest waterway.
    Do you know how your sewage is dealt with? Most people don't care once they pull the lever and it dissappears.

Yea you're right, I haven't a clue what the sewerage treatment around town here is like or if there is any at all, it's crazy really.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 agreenyblue

There was a stream running down from the dunes, yes, the local surf-school said Tullan is normally unaffected because of the rip which takes it straight out to sea. I've written a letter of complaint to Donegal County Council asking for a sign to be put up to warn bathers of the potential dangers. I won't hold my breath, if I hear anything positive back I'll let you all know. I'll consider those hepatitis shots, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 conman78new

Have heard of people getting pretty bad pink eye after surfing in Tullan from time to time! See brown gear floating when u look off the cliffs, lesson here I think is to avoid it! Get well soon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Tramore in waterford used to have a bad sewage problem and lot of the guys there used to drink a can of coke to settle their stomach after a surf

Tramore in waterford used to have a bad sewage problem and lot of the guys there used to drink a can of coke to settle their stomach after a surf

Know a lot of paddlers who do that after paddling certain rivers in case of weils disease, supposedly it'll kill just about anything in your stomach. Not sure if it's a myth or not, what does that tell you about coke if it's true though?! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

Know a lot of paddlers who do that after paddling certain rivers in case of weils disease, supposedly it'll kill just about anything in your stomach. Not sure if it's a myth or not, what does that tell you about coke if it's true though?! :D

It is said if you put a dirty two or 5 cent coin in to a glass of coke , leave a while and it will come out splarkling / shiny clean. Must try it sometime.

gigino wrote: »
    It is said if you put a dirty two or 5 cent coin in to a glass of coke , leave a while and it will come out splarkling / shiny clean. Must try it sometime.

Yea that works.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

I was out the same day under the cliffs in Tullan for a couple of hours in the afternoon and I didn't suffer any stomach issues.

Was out on the Friday too and was fine afterwards.

Coke does seem to help after a surf in dodgy water.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭bagus

Have heard of people getting pretty bad pink eye after surfing in Tullan from time to time! See brown gear floating when u look off the cliffs, lesson here I think is to avoid it! Get well soon

Pink eye is from the sun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Decos

bagus wrote: »

Pink eye comes from crap particles! Have you seen Knocked Up? They fart on each others pillows and give each other pink eye!

Decos wrote: »
    Pink eye comes from crap particles! Have you seen Knocked Up? They fart on each others pillows and give each other pink eye!

There's a quite a few causes for conjunctivitis not all crap related ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

There is a lot worse things that you could catch in Fundoran and much harder to shift too!

bagus wrote: »

I thought it was from salty water, worse on a sunny day with all the reflections off the water and everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

Cecil Mor wrote: »
    There is a lot worse things that you could catch in Fundoran and much harder to shift too!
    Listen to the voice of experience young ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Listen to the voice of experience young ones.
    Riddled :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Never had a problem trying to shift em...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Japer

See brown gear floating when u look off the cliffs, lesson here I think is to avoid it!

Have got sick in Bundoran before too. At least the water in Sligo seems cleaner.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Wopp

Cheers for that, works like a charm! Felt a bit queesey after going for a swim!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Cecil Mor wrote: »

You have been to Paris Nightclub then eh..........

Advertisement