Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Áine Lawlor signs off 'Morning Ireland'

• 14-10-2011 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

I'm very sorry to read this. All the very best wishes to Áine.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/1014/breaking28.html
    Lawlor signs off 'Morning Ireland'

RONAN McGREEVY
    Fri, Oct 14, 2011

RTÉ Morning Ireland presenter Áine Lawlor is to leave the programme after being diagnosed with cancer.

Ms Lawlor signed off after 16 years as a presenter at the end of this morning's programme.

"That’s all from me for a while as I'm taking a break for medical treatment. Thanks to all of you who have listened over the past 16 years," she said.

Ms Lawlor was diagnosed recently with the disease. Though she will no longer present Morning Ireland for the foreseeable future, she will continue her One to One series of interviews on RTÉ television and also continue her work on a documentary about the Irish presidency.

A statement from RTÉ this stated: "We can confirm that RTÉ presenter Áine Lawlor is undergoing treatment for cancer. She will be continuing to work and is positive about the outcome. She would be grateful for privacy during this period."

Ms Lawlor joined RTÉ’s flagship radio programme in 1995 and is one of its longest running presenters.

A mother-of-four, she is a keen gardener. "I spend a lot of time growing and cooking food. Potatoes, peas, beans, chillies, salads, asparagus whatever doesn't get eaten by the slugs,” she said in an interview in The Irish Times ' Healthplus supplement in February.

She also said she gets plenty of exercise and does yoga and Pilates twice a week. She listed smoking and a lack of sleep as her two health vices.

"When I’m working, I'm up at 4.30am and I’m only going to sleep after Vincent Browne so not a lot of sleep," she said.

As Morning Ireland presenter she has had many memorable encounters. She cited a programme which was dedicated to the Lost Lives book which chronicles all those who died in the Troubles as one of the highlights of her time on the programme.

Her interview with the then minister for agriculture Brendan Smith when he promised free cheese was another highlight which made her worldwide headlines as was her recent interview with presidential candidate David Norris who sought to invoke the symposium of Plato to explain his views on pederasty.

Her response provided one of the most memorable soundbites of the presidential campaign to date. "But you are not running for election in ancient Greece. You are running for election in modern Ireland."

© 2011 irishtimes.com

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

I hope she makes a full and complete recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭ttenneb

Aine has to be one of the best broadcasters ever to fill the airwaves. I also wish her a full and speedy recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Yes, I sincerely hope she makes a full recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

God that program seems to be cursed.. sorry to hear Aíne is leaving.. I always enjoyed her broadcasting..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

Best wishes hope she makes a full recovery... Lesson to us all..Stop Smoking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭real rocker

Best wishes to Aine. A great broadcaster & interviewer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

Ah sh1te. She's great to listen to particularly at that time of the day. Cancer is a curse of a disease. Good luck to her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

That's terrible to hear. Áine is a real talent inside RTE. Someone who not only understands the issues but has a deft touch when it comes to interviews as well. Always sounded in good humour as well. Will miss her from my morning routine. All the best to her and hope she returns soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

alex73 wrote: »
    Best wishes hope she makes a full recovery... Lesson to us all..Stop Smoking.

Áine has been diagnosed with breast cancer. Best wishes to her and she should make a full recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

Very sad news, all the best Áine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭okiss

Sorry to hear this news. Keep positive during this Aine as we all want to hear you back on this show soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

Best wishes Aine.You are a terrific broadcaster,a great journalist and no doubt you will come bouncing back to us.Slainte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭fastrac

She spoke to me at the Ploughing Championships. A really nice person and totally professional doing her piece of the show there. I wish her well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Áine had a lovely way with her and herself and Cathal complemented each other very well. She's only a young one (49), too. She was a divil for the smokes by all accounts.

Hope things work out well for her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭sudzs

Very best wishes to Áine, haven't had the chance to listen to her in the last year or so but very fond of her. Hope everything goes well for her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Hopes she makes a full recovery but I'll nail my colours to the cross and say I will not miss her on MI.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I will definetly miss her.

I always liked the sound of her voice on the radio in the mornings. Her soft spoken tone and unobtrusive manner suits my groggy head at that time of day. She has made Morning Ireland her own since Hanly's departure and the programme will seem incomplete without her at the helm.

I hope she responds well to her treatment and makes a full and speedy recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Hope she does make a full recovery.

Who will be reading the time incorrectly while she's gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Uninterrupted service on that score, I don't think anyone in the MI studio ever had the exclusive on incorrect clock-reading. Todays time blunder was "it's eight minutes to eight", broadcast just before nine o'clock.

Mind you Dana was giving her papal blessing in the MI studio so maybe the clock had a good reason for turning back.....;)

Just to add my best wishes to Aine Lawlor and hope all goes well for her and her family at this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Badabing wrote: »
    I hope she makes a full and complete recovery.

+1

all the best to her and her family.

• Advertisement
Advertisement