Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Recipes - IPA and Golden Ale Partial Mash

Options
  • 14-10-2011 4:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭

I want to get moving on two partial mash brews for late Dec/early Jan, as I have the oatmeal stout on the go Ive chosen an IPA and a Golden Ale as I havn't done these styles yet, these are the basic recipes Ive deicided on, any advice would be appreciated.

IPA
    Extracts:
    1kg DME light
    1kg DME amber (seemed the easiest way to get the amber colour)

Grains:
    1kg Maris Otter
    211g Crystal 150 EBC (I have 211gs left)

Hops:
    Northern Brewer 30g @60
    Willamette 9g @30
    Chinook 21g @30 (should these additions be at 15mins?)

Yeast:
    White Labs Super San Diego Ale (want to try it)

OG:1.053
    FG:1.013
    ABV:5.3% (bit low but Im not mad on high ABVS)
    IBUs: 61.9

I threw this together to get rid of some hops/grain I have left over from other brews? Anything you would change?

Golden Ale
    Extracts:
    2kg Extra light DME
    1kg Maris Otter
    I want to use some new grain I havnt used before, maybe vienna or wheat?

Hops:
    Havnt made any decisions here maybe saaz or hersbrucker, again something I havnt used before, any recommendations? I would like to hit about 20 - 25 IBUs

Yeast:
    Again something away from the Irish Ale/US-05/S-04 I tend to use, any recommendations here would be great too.

Thanks
    Martyn

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I doubt I'd bother with the two types of extract in the IPA. It'll be plenty amber even with extra light because of your crystal, I'd say. And yes, I'd push the middle hop additions later: to 10 or 15. I'd dry hop too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

BeerNut wrote: »
    I doubt I'd bother with the two types of extract in the IPA. It'll be plenty amber even with extra light because of your crystal, I'd say. And yes, I'd push the middle hop additions later: to 10 or 15. I'd dry hop too.

Thanks, yeh I'll push the hop additions back, I've deicided to scrap the golden ale, I'm going to do a slightly different version of a extract red recipe I did a while ago instead.

Should I be using a better variety of malts to get a more complex, better balance oof flavours in the beer, or will using these few ingredients well be enough?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

My inclination is to keep it simple. When you taste it, if you reckon the flavour could be improved in one direction or another, then you can look at a more complex grain bill.

Advertisement