Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vanishing Dublin - revisited

Options
  • 14-10-2011 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

I am fortunate to own a copy of "Vanishing Dublin" by Flora Mitchell. Published in 1966, it has 50 paintings of Dublin street scenes which she painted in the 1950s and early 1960s.

This summer I photographed almost all of the locations as they are in 2011. I've set up a blog where the old paintings and their modern equivalents are shown together. Take a look if you like, and feel free to make comments, suggestions or point out any errors I've made.

See it here at "Vanishing Dublin Revisited".

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Great work Seasoft. So much gone - though much of it was falling down anyway. At least it's not going unrecorded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Thanks for that seasoft great work.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭AOR

Thanks for all the effort! Really great work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Fantastic, poignant work. Thanks for sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

PS here's another view of the 27 Steps I scanned a while back and posted elsewhere:

5281194696_b38b234477_b.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭ah,sure

Lovely stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snowey07

OP - we recently found out my great granda lived in a tenement where the new buildings you photographed on Dorset St are now. Until your blog i had no idea what the original building was like . Thanks a mill :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭crushproof

Fantastic, I found this book a few years ago in my grandparents house, still have, it's a great insight into "the rare aul times", fair play for all the photos!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 PerryRoko

Lovely website, very interesting.

Just one question someone might know the answer to. In this picture are the townhouses on Bride St

eastbridest.jpg?w=600&h=449

There's a circular shield/crest type thing on the building there. I've never had a good luck to see what they are, but I've often enough seen those Viking Splash Tours drive down Bride St, and the guide is pointing out something to the tourists on these townhouses, or so it seems. Anyone know what he's pointing out, or what is displayed on those plaque type things?

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

PerryRoko wrote: »
    Lovely website, very interesting.

Just one question someone might know the answer to. In this picture are the townhouses on Bride St

eastbridest.jpg?w=600&h=449

There's a circular shield/crest type thing on the building there. I've never had a good luck to see what they are, but I've often enough seen those Viking Splash Tours drive down Bride St, and the guide is pointing out something to the tourists on these townhouses, or so it seems. Anyone know what he's pointing out, or what is displayed on those plaque type things?

They're scenes from Gulliver's Travels which was written by Jonathan Swift, who was once the Dean of nearby St. Patrick's Cathedral.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 bad mongo

Great work. Appreciate your efforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Seasoft

Thanks to all who commented so favourably on my endeavours. It was a labour of love really, and your comments have encouraged me to try to set about another project.

[Thinking cap is now on...]

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Looks great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

Great work well done, nice to see some of the buildings still around. I wonder how it would be today if the vast of them still standing.

Advertisement