Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should 2nd class be correcting each others tests?

• 14-10-2011 5:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭

Hi

My daughter is in second class and I have just realised that her weekly tests are corrected by the person next to her. Is this the norm? I would have thought that they should be corrected by the teacher.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Yes, it's a common strategy.Teacher should still review them though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

Yep, very common.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

cofy wrote: »
    Hi

My daughter is in second class and I have just realised that her weekly tests are corrected by the person next to her. Is this the norm? I would have thought that they should be corrected by the teacher.

Very common indeed. After a test, the copies are passed on one and the teacher will call out the answers. When the copies are passed back the child will check the scores to see if they are correct. A teacher can then 'skim' the copies - look at the total scores and see where the mistakes were made ( if any) and comment accordingly.

10 English spellings, 5 Irish, 10 tables plus a few sentences, times 30
    can be examined, corrected, 'skimmed', recorded and commented upon and given back the same day using this method.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Very common indeed. After a test, the copies are passed on one and the teacher will call out the answers. When the copies are passed back the child will check the scores to see if they are correct. A teacher can then 'skim' the copies - look at the total scores and see where the mistakes were made ( if any) and comment accordingly.

10 English spellings, 5 Irish, 10 tables plus a few sentences, times 30
    can be examined, corrected, 'skimmed', recorded and commented upon and given back the same day using this method.

Thanks a million for explaining, my daughter and accomplice tried to trick me, I had noticed a lot of rubbing out, according to the test she got 17 out of 18 English spelling right, but infact she only got 11 right. I am just getting fustrated that she knows all these spellings the night before the test yet in the test does so poorly. It's the same with her tables. Thanks for your reply, its much appreciated.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Don't get me started, spelling tests in traditional form are basically useless. Children can get 20/20 and then spell all 20 words incorrect in their written work the same day!!We have switched to the Brendan Culligan system of core words( those used most often in writing) and where each child learns the words they need to.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Don't get me started, spelling tests in traditional form are basically useless. Children can get 20/20 and then spell all 20 words incorrect in their written work the same day!!We have switched to the Brendan Culligan system of core words( those used most often in writing) and where each child learns the words they need to.

I can see a move away from the traditional test - involving more sentence work for said spellings - giving a better contextual meaning among other things. I tried this before and some parents complained because they found it harder to see how well their kids were getting on without a mark out of ten!
    Improving Children's Spellings - is a book that should be posted to every principal though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

I think that as a parent, I need to concentrate on her pronunciation's and revising her writing, reminding her how to write the alphabet properly, at least this will get her to think about how to sound words and how they should look in their handwriting. With regard to her writing, it's getting very sloppy i.e short cuts. I know these are first class rules, but she needs to be reminded of them. I hope I'm doing right. Once again thanks your information has been of great help.

All good, Cofy, as there is more writing as they get older, these can slip.

Advertisement