Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB Password Protection

Options
  • 14-10-2011 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭

I have seen a lot of people suggesting truecrypt and such like, but has anyone tried this SafeHouse?

Would be interested in hearing reviews of it.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

kleefarr wrote: »
    I have seen a lot of people suggesting truecrypt and such like, but has anyone tried this SafeHouse?

Would be interested in hearing reviews of it.

If you use windows Vista or 7 Ultimate you can use the inbuilt Bit Locker encryption. Works well, have not ever heard of Safehouse before

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 83,282 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The feature is also in Windows 7 professional if im not mistaken, allowing you to encrypt flash drives. Ultimate lets you encrypt the entire hard drive (Bit Locker) but Pro still lets you encrypt individual files and folders.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

I have now tried that SafeHouse. I like it. :)
    Works well as I don't have Windows 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 40AndOver

How can I password protect my USB and External drive?
    I want to be able to plug in to any computer and enter a password to get access to the drives.
    I dont want to be limited to being able to access from one machine, ie I dont want to be restricted to having software on the laptop to access the external drive.
    Encryption is not necessary.
    Free download.
    Windows compatible.

I tried a few free downloads, but they seem to leave the USB drive unreadable - A prompt appears saying to format disk.
    Or they need you to have software on laptop, which then ties you to accessing teh drive from one machine.

Also, need to be able to password protect the drive while files are already on it - There is too much data on the external drive to copy to laptop.

Any suggestions?

40AndOver wrote: »
    How can I password protect my USB and External drive?
    I want to be able to plug in to any computer and enter a password to get access to the drives.
    I dont want to be limited to being able to access from one machine, ie I dont want to be restricted to having software on the laptop to access the external drive.
    Encryption is not necessary.
    Free download.
    Windows compatible.

I tried a few free downloads, but they seem to leave the USB drive unreadable - A prompt appears saying to format disk.
    Or they need you to have software on laptop, which then ties you to accessing teh drive from one machine.

Also, need to be able to password protect the drive while files are already on it - There is too much data on the external drive to copy to laptop.

Any suggestions?

Windows Vista onwards supports Bitlocker once you have the professional or above versions. I'm fairly certain the base level Windows 7 onwards OS's can unlock volumes just not encrypt them

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 40AndOver

I looked at this and I need to create a certificate it seems on my laptop.
    Wont that mean I will only be able to access the drive on the one machine?
    What if I take the USB to work, will I be able to access, edit files etc?

40AndOver wrote: »
    I looked at this and I need to create a certificate it seems on my laptop.
    Wont that mean I will only be able to access the drive on the one machine?
    What if I take the USB to work, will I be able to access, edit files etc?

You have the option to create one so it will work on all Windows Vista onwards OS's afaik

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Bitlocker encryption is available on Windows 7 Enterprise and Ultimate editions, though all versions can read Bitlocker drives.

You could Bitlocker To Go if your OS supports it - Professional, Ultimate or Enterprise editions of Windows 7 & 8.

The only problem with these is that you're limited to supported OS's i.e. MS Windows (Bitlocker To Go Reader is available for XP, Vista and 7). Linux and MacOS won't be able to read them - just in case that's of importance.

Ken

ZENER wrote: »
    Bitlocker encryption is available on Windows 7 Enterprise and Ultimate editions, though all versions can read Bitlocker drives.

You could Bitlocker To Go if your OS supports it - Professional, Ultimate or Enterprise editions of Windows 7 & 8.

The only problem with these is that you're limited to supported OS's i.e. MS Windows (Bitlocker To Go Reader is available for XP, Vista and 7). Linux and MacOS won't be able to read them - just in case that's of importance.

Ken

Does Vista not support Bit Locker drive automatically? Thought it did :)

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Apologies :) Of course Vista Enterprise and Ultimate do support Bitlocker Drive Encryption, but for BitLocker To Go you need a Reader for XP and Vista.

Ken

• Advertisement
Advertisement