Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stone Roses to reform?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I give it til tomorrow til Mani is reported as saying "Are you f*cking crazy? it's not happening!"

Maybe it'll happen but in fairness, does anyone care at this point?

There's more chance of The Rolling Stones calling it a day :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Another year another reunion story!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I give it til tomorrow til Mani is reported as saying "Are you f*cking crazy? it's not happening!"

I'd say quite a few would care to be honest, there will be some scramble for tickets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

This would be cool if true!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Groundhog Day...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

....this one has legs on it anyway

http://www.nme.com/news/the-stone-roses/59813
    Not this again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Not again... More than likely this won't materialise just like the rumour earlier in the year.

I really wish they won't though, three bands I wish will never reform are The Stone Roses, The Smiths and Slowdive. I'd like to see their music and legacy preserved and if they were to reform they risk tarnishing what makes them so special.

Also NME is hardly a reliable source is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭CountryJoe

Did something similar to this happen a few years back where some big announcement was to be made regarding the band, the rumour mill went into overdrive with talks of a reunion. When the announcement was finally made, it was just about the 20th aniversary edition of the first album being released. Not saying that this will be the case here, but after all the bad blood between Squire & Brown, it will be interesting to find out the reasons they will give for reforming.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭johnnycnandy

Yes, to answer your question. A lot of people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Hope it doesn't happen, Ian Brown can't do the songs justice anymore.

It won't happen actually, its the ****ing Sun. With the same story that was rubbished by the entire band only 6 months ago. Remi has already contacted NME to say he won't be involved.

http://www.nme.com/news/the-stone-roses/59820

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Duke Leonal Felmet

They left a beautiful corpse. They should leave it as such.

Oh, and this is an annual event, by now. So NME can sell more toilet paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,617 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Zero1986 wrote: »
    Also NME is hardly a reliable source is it?

Yeah...and the original story came from The Sun :pac:
    niallo24 wrote: »
    Hope it doesn't happen, Ian Brown can't do the songs justice anymore.

He never could really...
    niallo24 wrote: »
    Remi has already contacted NME to say he won't be involved.

That's not exactly what he said though.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Ride, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I'd have thought there was more chance of the Beatles reforming myself...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

564414915v1_480x480_Front_padToSquare-true.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭SleepAtNight

Really mixed feelings on this. One side of me would do anything to see them live, the other side of me knows that what they stood for in their music making days was completely at odds with the latest waves of cash-in comebacks. I really can't see Brown doing this, and why should he? He more than any of them doesn't need to.

I hope they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Whether they do or don't, I absolutely don't buy into this rubbish that it would tarnish their reputation if they reformed. Brown could never sing (look at Live at Blackpool) so that's a moot point. Squire is an amazing guitarist and I want to see him perform his best tracks live.

Look at Blur. They reformed and were absolutely mega live. They recorded one new song, and gave it away for free, but other than that it was a money spinner for them. I don't care though, because I still got to see one of my favourite bands ever live (from the pit, with an Oasis t-shirt on :cool:). It didn't tarnish their reputation.

The Verve also. Fine, they weren't as good as Blur but they reformed and made their money out of it. Fourth was pretty awful but it was still great to see History, Bittersweet Symphony, Lucky Man, Sonnet and The Drugs Don't Work performed live. It didn't tarnish their reputation.

Thus, Stone Roses' music legacy won't be tarnished in the slightest. Anyone who believes it will be is, in the words of Chris Morris, a "pretentious cheesewog."

No, it would be akin to Elvis' comeback shows in Las Vegas, only fatter and on more painkillers. Thankfully this rumour is bollocks, as I have been hearing this one since the mid 90s, its just stirred up annually to sell copies of the NME to gullible simpletons.

Whether they do or don't, I absolutely don't buy into this rubbish that it would tarnish their reputation if they reformed. Brown could never sing (look at Live at Blackpool) so that's a moot point. Squire is an amazing guitarist and I want to see him perform his best tracks live.

Look at Blur. They reformed and were absolutely mega live. They recorded one new song, and gave it away for free, but other than that it was a money spinner for them. I don't care though, because I still got to see one of my favourite bands ever live (from the pit, with an Oasis t-shirt on :cool:). It didn't tarnish their reputation.

The Verve also. Fine, they weren't as good as Blur but they reformed and made their money out of it. Fourth was pretty awful but it was still great to see History, Bittersweet Symphony, Lucky Man, Sonnet and The Drugs Don't Work performed live. It didn't tarnish their reputation.

Thus, Stone Roses' music legacy won't be tarnished in the slightest. Anyone who believes it will be is, in the words of Chris Morris, a "pretentious cheesewog."

If the band has completely lost the chemistry that made them, and maybe Blur hadn't fully I don't really know...then the only thing holding them together in the comeback is cash.
    If ever there was a time when our eyes should be wide open to the pointlessness of dancing to the tune of money it's now. And if one thing we should have learned from the past 10 years of material hyperbole is that there is nothing more pretentious than money.

Like Elvis, their music to most probably won't be tarnished, but anyone who believed in what they wrote and what Brown has wrote subsequently will feel slightly cheated. I suppose it depends what ya get from their tunes, for me the lyrics had as much meaning as the brilliant rhythm and melodies.

If the band has completely lost the chemistry that made them, and maybe Blur hadn't fully I don't really know...then the only thing holding them together in the comeback is cash.
    If ever there was a time when our eyes should be wide open to the pointlessness of dancing to the tune of money it's now. And if one thing we should have learned from the past 10 years of material hyperbole is that there is nothing more pretentious than money.

Like Elvis, their music to most probably won't be tarnished, but anyone who believed in what they wrote and what Brown has wrote subsequently will feel slightly cheated. I suppose it depends what ya get from their tunes, for me the lyrics had as much meaning as the brilliant rhythm and melodies.

Who cares if they make money for making exceptionally good art? Watch Live at Blackpool, there is nothing overly special about the Roses live. By all accounts, Spike Island was an abhorrent excuse for a gig.

So if we know that Brown couldn't sing live in 1990 and still can't now, why not let them come out and play their tunes? I think they have good lyrics but I'm not aware of any lyric that dismisses a comeback tour in 2011.

As I've said, the Roses can do whatever they want with their music. They are not letting anyone down by coming back. All of that said however, the sources for this story are The Sun and NME!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Who cares if they make money for making exceptionally good art? Watch Live at Blackpool, there is nothing overly special about the Roses live. By all accounts, Spike Island was an abhorrent excuse for a gig.

So if we know that Brown couldn't sing live in 1990 and still can't now, why not let them come out and play their tunes? I think they have good lyrics but I'm not aware of any lyric that dismisses a comeback tour in 2011.

As I've said, the Roses can do whatever they want with their music. They are not letting anyone down by coming back. All of that said however, the sources for this story are The Sun and NME!

Spike Island was a great gig. Yes the sounds quality was not the best, but the atmosphere and the anarchy of it really made it a unique event. It was like a festivel for one band and without a doubt the best gig I have been to in terms of overall experience.
    The dis-organisation really was seen by fans as a quirk rather then a problem. I am sure there are many like me who held on to their ticket stub knowing that this was an event that would be remembered. I dont know of any one who wanted their money back.

Their appearance at Feile admitedly left a lot to be desired, but they band was in the throws of divorce at that stage.
    Ian Brown's solo shows are still fantastic, in particular the smaller Olympia type shows.
    John Squire at the temple bar music centre was also a great gig.
    So I think a reformed Stone Roses would be a great gig to go to.

I've absolutely no problem with Brown's voice, seen him live a few times and loved every minute of it. Blackpool has a charm to it and I'm sure it was amazing to be present and seeing a band on top of their creative game.

My problem is doing things for money's sake. If it's done for money's sake it's not art it's X Factor and I think Fools Gold is a lecture on that.

But yea, the sources of all the rumour are by no means credible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 ANTWON

Would be great to see them get back together but I dont see it happening anytime soon, last I heard John Squire gave up the guitar and is still doing his art and art exhibitions. But I think The Stone Roses wil eventually reform for a few gigs,

I've absolutely no problem with Brown's voice, seen him live a few times and loved every minute of it. Blackpool has a charm to it and I'm sure it was amazing to be present and seeing a band on top of their creative game.

My problem is doing things for money's sake. If it's done for money's sake it's not art it's X Factor and I think Fools Gold is a lecture on that.

But yea, the sources of all the rumour are by no means credible.

I'm sure people who see them live again, if they play, will say that there will be charm to the gigs though! Brown is a pretty terrible singer but he does have great stage presence, to be fair to him.

All bands do everything for money's sake though. No band is going out there to make music and lose money. I think it's a romantic fallacy that certain bands made albums because they felt their music was really important and other bands made music just because they wanted to make money.

I say it would be great for a younger fan like me, who never had the chance to see them live before, to see them play live now. It certainly wouldn't damage the fondness I have for the band's music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Tony Fenton just said there's going to be a press conference tomorrow where they will be announcing they are reforming.

I'll defo be getting a ticket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

stone roses for slane 2012

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

More rumours :confused: would be absolutely amazing though if it was true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Seems to be a lot of truth in this one. Despite my mixed feeling on how good they would be live, I think the chance to see this group live is not something to pass up on.

Sure you won't hear Brown's singing with the crowd singing every word, I seen him in the Phoenix Park tent and I Am The Resurrection was a highlight, so he can pull them off when he's in the mood.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭johnnycnandy

I've seen Ian live many times and his voice was never a problem. So what if he's not a great singer, this ain't X factor. That was never Ian's strength. Nobody has more stage presence or charisma than King Monkey. I will be first in line for tickets if this is true. Let the naysayers sit at home.

• Advertisement

Despite my opposition, I would definitely go to see them.

Advertisement