Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stone Roses to reform?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,617 ✭✭✭Penfailed

There's more chance of The Rolling Stones calling it a day :pac:
    Zero1986 wrote: »
    More than likely this won't materialise
    Wertz wrote: »
    I'd have thought there was more chance of the Beatles reforming myself...
    I really can't see Brown doing this
    Thankfully this rumour is bollocks

Hahahaha! :pac:

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Ride, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,269 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

618w_stone_roses_career_12.jpg

Its all a bit sad really. Half the reason we like bands like this is becuase they didnt milk it. This destroys the romance of The Roses, the magic is replaced by four aging aulfellas looking to get paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I for one am delighted to hear there going reuniting and are going to tour, have been a fan of Ian Browns and the Stone Roses for years but never had the chance to see them play live. So I cant wait for this to happen :D:D. Will be keeping a very close eye out for tour details.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Duke Leonal Felmet

Penfailed wrote: »

Like I said, the millionth time is a charm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

I seen Ian Brown in a gig a few years back and he was really bad, couldn't hold a tune, now I really like the albums but not sure about paying a fair whack for him to drone on as he just can't sing live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Penfailed wrote: »
    I guess we were all proved wrong then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭SleepAtNight

mcwhirter wrote: »
    I seen Ian Brown in a gig a few years back and he was really bad, couldn't hold a tune, now I really like the albums but not sure about paying a fair whack for him to drone on as he just can't sing live.

If you don't like Brown thank your lucky stars Squire won't be singing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,617 ✭✭✭Penfailed

mcwhirter wrote: »
    I seen Ian Brown in a gig a few years back and he was really bad, couldn't hold a tune

I saw him a few years back too - the set was half solo stuff, half Roses stuff. His singing was ropey but I didn't care - the crowd sang along to make up for it. The atmosphere was brilliant :)

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Ride, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement

It really should be no shock to anyone who's heard Garage Flower what Brown's singing capabilities are. He's not trying to match the dawn chorus...these boys were born out of Lydon and Strummer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Remember in mid 80s when they were The Patrol, n goth was all the rage and they had one on bass? and the production sounded postpunk / gothpunk before they were reworked.. I preferred that :p nice surprise seeing him there but the way he's coming off I hope reni does not derail this, sure wasn't he the first to jump ship

/Brown is such an adidas endorsed superchav past 10yr what was that about wanting to do it the day after the chavolution was he inspired by that?! probably wished he was commander of events in a specially comissioned adidas jumpsuit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

LH Pathe wrote: »
    Remember in mid 80s when they were The Patrol, n goth was all the rage and they had one on bass? and the production sounded postpunk / gothpunk before they were reworked.. I preferred that :p nice surprise seeing him there but the way he's coming off I hope reni does not derail this, sure wasn't he the first to jump ship

/Brown is such an adidas endorsed superchav past 10yr what was that about wanting to do it the day after the chavolution was he inspired by that?! probably wished he was commander of events in a specially comissioned adidas jumpsuit

I think it was just because people generally felt a bit down after the riots, im sure he wasnt endorsing the rioters.

And yeah, Reni was really irritating at that press conference. I thought he was the coolest guy ever but he is seems out of place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Reni seemed like a 50 year old accountant taken out of his firm and thrown into a rock'n'roll band. He seemed totally out of place, and overly willing to dis the rest of the band. What are the odds on them breaking up before they get to Heaton Park?!

Naturally there's a money motivation for any band if they intend to make music full time but I'd hate to see the Roses reform only to go through the motions of playing gigs while Brown and Squire only communicated to one another through Mani.

Maybe it would be a good thing if they were all on good terms again and as the last poster said, was friendship motivated.

It seems like they were on decent terms, bar maybe Reni. Whether they are good live, well, only time will tell.

Naturally there's a money motivation for any band if they intend to make music full time but I'd hate to see the Roses reform only to go through the motions of playing gigs while Brown and Squire only communicated to one another through Mani.

Maybe it would be a good thing if they were all on good terms again and as the last poster said, was friendship motivated.

It seems like they were on decent terms, bar maybe Reni. Whether they are good live, well, only time will tell.

They were rarely good live. I won't get my hopes up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

A myth.

ItsAWindUp wrote: »

A myth.

Before the age of Youtube, people like you got away with such comments. But no longer. I have watched tonnes of videos of theirs, I have never been impressed. Brown's voice is off key, Squire stares at the ground and hits a LOT of bum notes. Only Mani and Reni were consistent, but that's only half the band.

You can fool yourself, but you shan't fool me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

Before the age of Youtube, people like you got away with such comments. But no longer. I have watched tonnes of videos of theirs, I have never been impressed. Brown's voice is off key, Squire stares at the ground and hits a LOT of bum notes. Only Mani and Reni were consistent, but that's only half the band.

So.. you were never at any of their pre megastar gigs?

I was.. around Liverpool, Manchester, Wigan etc, and the later gigs up to and including Alexander Palace (which was ok) and Spike Island (which was crap).

Their early gigs were amazing.. which is why they had such a huge following.. very little live video footage of them actually exists in thr public domain.. Even the footage from Alexander Palace was never released.. although Blackpool was..

In a smaller venues (when they actually gave a crap).. not one band I have ever seen in 40 years came close to them.. I could go on for hours about just how good they were :) But to simply dismiss them on the basis of a few YouTube videos is rediculous. It's akin to watching an early rave on dvd with your gran and a cup of tea and dismissing it as a dull experience.. You are not experiencing the "experience".. The experience will never translate to a YouTube video.

That said.. I have no intention of buying a ticket for this :) I don't think even they could recreate the experience now.. and not in front of 50K+ people.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Maximum 40 Characters

I think their genius should be set in stone irrespective of how this pans out. To be still held in such high regard after how it ended last time.well nothing they do now should affect that.They were a gateway to whole host of bands i'd never have gotten into without them.
    As far as i'm concerned they can do whatever they like with their legacy they owe me nothing and if anyone knows a devil looking for a few souls in exchange for tickets,point him my way please

• Advertisement

Welease wrote: »

I was.. around Liverpool, Manchester, Wigan etc, and the later gigs up to and including Alexander Palace (which was ok) and Spike Island (which was crap).

Their early gigs were amazing.. which is why they had such a huge following.. very little live video footage of them actually exists in thr public domain.. Even the footage from Alexander Palace was never released.. although Blackpool was..

In a smaller venues (when they actually gave a crap).. not one band I have ever seen in 40 years came close to them.. I could go on for hours about just how good they were :) But to simply dismiss them on the basis of a few YouTube videos is rediculous. It's akin to watching an early rave on dvd with your gran and a cup of tea and dismissing it as a dull experience.. You are not experiencing the "experience".. The experience will never translate to a YouTube video.

That said.. I have no intention of buying a ticket for this :) I don't think even they could recreate the experience now.. and not in front of 50K+ people.

The thoughts of them doing Slane or Oxegen is horrifying. They need Olympia sized gigs.

Welease wrote: »

The thoughts of them doing Slane or Oxegen is horrifying. They need Olympia sized gigs.

Yeah, so no one can get a ticket. Good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

What a stupid comment to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Can'tseeme

I was at Feile '95, it was amazing. Honestly, one of the best gigs I've seen. The music, the atmosphere, simply outstanding.

Tbh, watching alot of gigs on TV or Youtube clips never does it justice.

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    What a stupid comment to make.

What an excellent retort...

Well, this is the music forum, I guess.

Yeah, so no one can get a ticket. Good idea.

Just don't come crying on here if they end up with rubbish sound at oxegen and someone sh1ts in your tent.:D

SleepAtNight is so determined to put a negative spin on this joyous occasion. How very Irish of you altogether!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

It seems half the tickets are on ebay already for at least twice the price!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

This was mailed to me by a friend, so dont bite my head off if it's wrong!

This list of dates is doing the rounds on a lot of fan sites etc

These dates are going around online for european tour.
    Fri 29 June Heaton Park, Manchester
    Sat 30 June Heaton Park, Manchester
    Thu 5 July Echo Arena, Liverpool
    Sat 7 July O2 Arena, London
    Sun 8 July O2 Arena, London
    Wed 11 July SECC, Glasgow
    Fri 13 July Slane Castle, Ireland
    Sat 14 July Botanic Gardens, Belfast
    Mon 16 July iTunes Festival, London
    Fri 20 July Espacio Movistar, Barcelona, Spain
    Sat 21 July Palacio de Deportes, Madrid, Spain
    Mon 23 July Palais Omnisports de Paris-Bercy, Paris, France
    Wed 25 July Futurshow Station, Bologna, Italy
    Thur 26 July Datch Forum, Milan, Italy
    Sat 28 July O2 World, Berlin, Germany
    Sun 29 July Color Line Arena, Hamburg, Germany
    Tue 2 Aug Globe Arena, Stockholm, Sweden
    Wed 3 Aug Spektrum, Oslo, Norway

• Advertisement

Snapped up a couple of tix for the extra date added this morning for Sun in Heaton Park. Any idea when the Slane tix go on sale?

Advertisement