Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for non alcoholic beers/wines etc

• 14-10-2011 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

First off, I wasnt sure if I should post this here or in the non drinkers forum (wasnt sure if it would be innapropriate there). I think Im in the right place anyway, but mods, please move if I'm wrong.

Right, I've recently been put on medication and will be needing it for the foreseeable future. I'm allowed a few drinks but have decided to steer cleer of alcohol for the moment to see how the treatment goes.

Since I've been on these meds I'm having trouble finding something nice to drink while out with mates (either in the pub or, more frequently - when drinking in a mates) I've tried a few non alcoholic wines, but them to be incredibly sweet for my palette and any non alcoholic beer I've found seems watery with little flavour. I'm sick of drinking soft drinks too - I'm sure my teeth and bladder will thank me if I gave them a miss.

Does anybody have any recommendations for non alcoholic beers/wine or even some tasty alternatives to soft drinks/juice/cordial?

Thanks a mill.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

tea, or more suitable probably ice-tea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Its covered here in this thread from around 6 months ago, no real conclusions though:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71257286

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭DoubleBogey

First of all, you won't find anything that compares to the real thing. My favorite non alcoholic beer is Budvar. Paulanar is good too. Erdinger is ok but I find it hard to finish a bottle. Becks is ganck and unfortunately it's usually the only one you can get in the pubs. Have yet to taste a non alcoholic wine that doesn't taste like cordial diluted with piss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Bookworm85 wrote: »
    ...any non alcoholic beer I've found seems watery with little flavour.
    Get thee to your local Lidl and try a bottle of their Erdinger Alkoholfrei (pint-sized bottle with a blue label). It's a wheat beer and has a very pleasant taste, much better than the piss they serve in most pubs.
    erdinger-alkoholfrei_flasch.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Krombacher Non Alcoholic is my favourite. 330ml bottles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

+1 for erdinger, actually tastes like beer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

waigong wrote: »
    i think you had better not to drink the beer or other soft drinks ,if you really want to recover as you can as possiblely,you can drink some boiled water,this is good for your health.

and if you feel like really going crazy stick a slice of lemon in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

and if you feel like really going crazy stick a slice of lemon in it.

Or Salt and Gurgle it and you can clean your gums. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Bookworm85

Thanks for the recommendations everyone.

I gave the Erdinger a test drive at the weekend and twas quite nice. Have yet to source Paulaner but if the non alco stuff is anything like their regular beer I'll be a happy camper.

I think I'll skip the boiled water thanks. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Baltika 0 was enjoyed by a few pregnant cousins of mine at a do in the Bull & Castle a while ago.

Saw a Nigella "recipe" which was Pomegranate juice mixed with Ginger Beer.

I had to go off booze a few years ago and I never really found a drink that I could drink all night. Best of luck with it.

7up free or Sprite zero are the best for avoiding questions about being off the sauce as people will presume you've mixed them with vodka.

Virgin Marys could be a nice change too, bloody mary mix without the vodka.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,529 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Bookworm85 wrote: »
    Thanks for the recommendations everyone.

I gave the Erdinger a test drive at the weekend and twas quite nice. Have yet to source Paulaner but if the non alco stuff is anything like their regular beer I'll be a happy camper.
    I usually give up alcohol for a month or two before a big race (running), and I find that Paulander and Erdinger N/A satisfy my need for something 'beer-like'. As long as you don't compare them to their alcoholic counterparts and enjoy them as drinks on their own merits, they're fine. Both can be purchased from Dunnes Stores.

Advertisement