Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone have a steel kennel?

• 14-10-2011 8:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭

Am still torn between a steel insulated kennel and a timber insulated kennel.
    I find timber. unless you are very good at looking after it, rots over time and kennels are expensive enough. But steel ones can be twice the price.

The only thing really thatc's putting me off a steel kennel is condensation..I've had plastic kennels before and found them really rubbish when it came to keeping it dry because on condensation despite them being ventilated. If I'm gonna fork out a fortune for a kennel only to find condensation builds up I'll kick myself.

So has anyone got one of those kingspan insulated steel kennels and how do you find them? OH hasn't the time or energy atm to build one so we have to buy. I like the fact they are low maintinence, ok they don't look as nice as timber ones but I'm looking for something really practical and warm.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

no experience of the steel ones I'm afraid but just to say about the timber ones....we have one that is over 30 years old and is still a brilliant kennel. It is very big, home built and well insulated. every year I coat it with 2 coats of fencelife and thats it. I did put a veranda on the front to protect it from winds/rain but apart from that not one bit of rot or anything.
    I have never seen them for sale as well insualted though or as heavy duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Mr Moxie

Hi, I'm about to launch a business manufacturing insulated wooden pet housing.
    We're starting with dog & cat houses. In my opinion, wooden is far superior to steel as a safe & warm house.
    The only real "advantage" that I can think of for using steel, is if your dog is a major chewer! In my opinion steel (even Kingspan insulated cladding) is unsuitable as a dog house, it is a cold material and as Sigma Force mentioned it is prone to condensation.
    If you pm me I will gladly tell you more about Pet Cosy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

I bought a steel shed and my hubby insulated it all for me:)Its cool in the summer and warm in the winter plus doggies who come to stay have lots of room :)

Advertisement