Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco mobile

Options
  • 14-10-2011 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭

Guys is there anyone using tesco mobile as i have a htc sensation on vodafone but will be leaving in a few months as reception is terrible at work,they have an o2 repeater but the o2 plans are terrible.The tesco plans look great value at 30 a month for 500mins/txts and 1gb data which would suit me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭jluv

I've been using it for about a year and a half on pay as you go and have had no issues. My 21 year old son has been using it the same amount of time and no complaints either(and trust me if there was any reason to he would complain!) I only spend €10 most months cos of free credit. Always used bill before this so when I get time I will reserch and possibly do the bill phone again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

If you have a unlocked phone the sim-card is €2.50. You could try it out just for reception every where you usually go.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shyboy

Tesco Mobile are the best network that I have ever used...and I have tried them all:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭ofcork

Thanks for the replies will definitely try tesco when im finished with vodafone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    If you have a unlocked phone the sim-card is €2.50. You could try it out just for reception every where you usually go.

Free if you order online AFAIK

• Advertisement

The only thing to remember is, if you choose PAYG, you will have to buy credit in a tesco or register your laser and top up by text. You cant buy the credit in all shops or I dont know of any bank you can top up online with.

Thats the main issue. Also if you know anyone working in Tesco, you can ask them to sign you up for triple top ups every time. ie Top up by €10 get €30 credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Don't Tesco use the Vodafone network to carry their calls?
    If so, reception will be no better than it is now with Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

cast_iron wrote: »

They piggyback on the o2 network

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

cast_iron wrote: »

nope they use O2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭jluv

The only thing to remember is, if you choose PAYG, you will have to buy credit in a tesco or register your laser and top up by text. You cant buy the credit in all shops or I dont know of any bank you can top up online with.

Thats the main issue. Also if you know anyone working in Tesco, you can ask them to sign you up for triple top ups every time. ie Top up by €10 get €30 credit.
    Think you can buy anywhere that has Bill Pay like the post office and shops. used to be able to anyway.I have credit card registered so just top up be text.Love it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

That's not true. You can buy it anywhere. Most of the shops who sell mobile credits. I buy credit regularly from the shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭ofcork

Ill be going on bill pay as their plans are great compared to o2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

jluv wrote: »
    Think you can buy anywhere that has Bill Pay like the post office and shops. used to be able to anyway.I have credit card registered so just top up be text.Love it..

I'm wondering where its possible to top up apart from Tesco shops. I cant find anything on this on the Tescomobile site.

Perhaps Paul could shed some light on this ?

coldfire1x wrote: »
    That's not true. You can buy it anywhere. Most of the shops who sell mobile credits. I buy credit regularly from the shops.

I dont know of any shop that sells it apart from Tesco....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

http://www.tescomobile.ie/helpandsupport/top-up-faq.aspx
    You can top-up your Tesco Mobile with a Top-up voucher which you can buy from any Tesco store, post office or at selected retail outlets nationwide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Tesco Mobile: Paul

hi there

There used to be a page on our website for Topup locations. Need to check whats happened here in the website refresh.

We are stocked in Payzone,Paypoint and Omnivend. You can get our topup in Topaz, Applegreen, Xtravision and many other stores.

regards
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

I dont know about other place but in Dublin walk in to any of the newsagents who sell mobile credit and you will get it.

Never had a problem with any of the shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭candyman

Hi Paul,

Can you tell me what contract length if any are attached to the SIM only plans?
    And are there any plans for Tesco mobile to sell the iPhone 4S any time soon?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Rolling 30-days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

I'm an O2 customer and I currently get 500min, 500txt and 250 MB for 400Euro (and that's a special offer given to me)... Tesco Mobile offers the same minutes and txts + 1GB data (much needed when you have an HTC for 30 Euro Pay montly... Soon I might be switching prividers :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Torpedo

Hi Paul

Have an iphone 4 bill pay with O2 and contract is up. Thinking of switching over to Tesco. Is there any issues with iphone 4, micro sim comes to mind?

thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Hi Paul,
    I just ordered the Galaxy S2 on a 18 month contract for €55, good deal as they give a 2gb download allowance each month, my question is;

I was already a tesco pay as you go customer, when I received my new phone after signing up for monthly bill pay I just used my old Tesco sim and all seems to work fine, am I ok doing this as I didnt wait for the Activation code to be sent to me or do I now need to go to the website and enter the Activation code. I would think things are already switched as I gave my details when I joined Tesco pay as you go.

Hi Paul,
    I just ordered the Galaxy S2 on a 18 month contract for €55, good deal as they give a 2gb download allowance each month, my question is;

I was already a tesco pay as you go customer, when I received my new phone after signing up for monthly bill pay I just used my old Tesco sim and all seems to work fine, am I ok doing this as I didnt wait for the Activation code to be sent to me or do I now need to go to the website and enter the Activation code. I would think things are already switched as I gave my details when I joined Tesco pay as you go.

Hi Chris

Yes this will be a problem. The activation code is linked to the order. You should have chosen the existing customer option at order time. Please contact care on 0894200000 and they will get you sorted.

regards
    Paul

Torpedo wrote: »
    Hi Paul

Have an iphone 4 bill pay with O2 and contract is up. Thinking of switching over to Tesco. Is there any issues with iphone 4, micro sim comes to mind?

thanks!

Hi Torpedo

No problem, we support iPhone4 and you can sue your data allowance for tethering. You can request a micro SIM by contacting customer care. Yuo should do this before choosing your plan online and choose the existing customer option so you get activated on the Micro SIM.

regards
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I did choose the existing number, when I got the phone a letter came with it saying that if I already had a tesco sim card that I could use that and give the one that came with the phone to someone else, I just wasn't sure if I still need to enter the activation code or not. I will call the number you gave to clarify. Thanks

I did choose the existing number, when I got the phone a letter came with it saying that if I already had a tesco sim card that I could use that and give the one that came with the phone to someone else, I just wasn't sure if I still need to enter the activation code or not. I will call the number you gave to clarify. Thanks

Then you are fine :) but yes you do need to enter the activation code to migrate your service to Pay Monthly. Any paid for credit you have will come with you as a credit on your bill.

regards
    Paul

coldfire1x wrote: »
    I dont know about other place but in Dublin walk in to any of the newsagents who sell mobile credit and you will get it.

Never had a problem with any of the shops.

That's great, that was the only thing putting me off changing to Tesco earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭candyman

Anyone know how you can check your remaining minutes on tesco pay monthly from the iPhone?

candyman wrote: »
    Anyone know how you can check your remaining minutes on tesco pay monthly from the iPhone?

hi there

Curerntly you cna only check online at My Tesco Mobile from our website but we do plan to add USSD shortcodes next year to make it easier to check.

regards
    Paul

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

Hi, Paul

My 18 months contract with O2 ended up in August and they got me a new deal: 30 days notice, 500 min, 500 txt, 250MB for 40 Euro which was fine with me. Then in a few weeks time I saw I was able to upgrade my phone for free. My old one was about to die, so I went for it... It turns out, there's nothing for free though :( I called them as I wanted my sim-lock code and btw I asked about my 30 days notice thing... I was told that when I "bought" the "free" phone, I actually entered a new 12 months contract?!? What should I do now? I wish to move to Tesco Mobile as it would get me a massive 120 Euro savings over a year and I'm stuck with O2 :(

Advertisement