Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shotgun cast question

Options
  • 14-10-2011 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Well lads,
    I picked up my first shotgun today and was giving it a good looking over. I noticed its cast. When I sight down the barrell from the stock of the gun I can see that the stock is offset to the right. I presume this is to bring the barrells closer to the centre of the shooter when they hold the gun to their right shoulder?
    Well I'm a lefty and am wondering if this will effect me too much.
    Not too bothered as I cant imagine ill be using the shotgun anywhere as often as the rifles but am curious as too how much this will affect my shooting.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Well lads,
    I picked up my first shotgun today and was giving it a good looking over. I noticed its cast. When I sight down the barrell from the stock of the gun I can see that the stock is offset to the right. I presume this is to bring the barrells closer to the centre of the shooter when they hold the gun to their right shoulder?
    Well I'm a lefty and am wondering if this will effect me too much.
    Not too bothered as I cant imagine ill be using the shotgun anywhere as often as the rifles but am curious as too how much this will affect my shooting.
    Thanks.

depends on the shooter. Ive often fired shotgun which is like you said and managed to hit things:rolleyes:. put a 2" circle on a piece of paper,go back 25-30 metres, fire at it and see where you're hitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Session, think of "cast" this way,the distance the centerline of the stock is offset to one side or another of the centerline of the barrel. Cast-off for right-handed shooters and cast-on for left-handed shooters.
    Something you can do yourself to determine if you need cast adjustment, mount the gun with your eyes closed. Open your eyes and see if you are looking down the center of the rib. If you need to move your head slightly left or right, the cast should be altered. If you need to go to the right (whether you are right or left handed) the stock needs to be "cast off". If you need to go to the left, the stock needs to be "cast on". Of course it helps if the length of pull and drop are set correctly,

Best advice I can give is to have a session with a professional fitter or a good shooting coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ace86

i just got myself measured for a shotgun by mervin jeffers in bandon it costed me €85 euro and i got my stock re cast in my lanber for €120 as well. I found him very good and i would advise any shooter especially some starting out you will have it done once and you will have it for life, it could make a big difference if someone wanted a left handed stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

There are many compontents to gun fit: length of pull, LOP, drop at comb DOC, drop @ heel DOH, pitch, and cast etc.

esquemamedidas700.jpg

Advertisement