Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using laptop screen for xbox?

Options
  • 14-10-2011 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭

Just wondering is it possible to use a laptop as a monitor for an xbox 360?

I have an old xbox with no HDMI so that's not an option either.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

You can but you'll need to buy a special lead (on ebay) to connect to your VGA connector. Probably won't be HD either if it's an older VGA port. You'll also get no sound through it so you'll need another option for sound like connecting the sound leads to an external sound source like a headset (with base station) or something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

You can but you'll need to buy a special lead (on ebay) to connect to your VGA connector. Probably won't be HD either if it's an older VGA port. You'll also get no sound through it so you'll need another option for sound like connecting the sound leads to an external sound source like a headset (with base station) or something similar.
    Are ya sure the VGA connector on a laptop can take a VGA input? I thought I read somewhere that it is only an output connector.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

Not sure really, I know I friend of mine managed it on his PC monitor. Haven't tried it on a laptop. Maybe someone else can advise you better.

Not sure really, I know I friend of mine managed it on his PC monitor. Haven't tried it on a laptop. Maybe someone else can advise you better.
    I think a PC monitor is totally different. Thanks for the reply but with the majority of laptops the VGA, as far as I know, is output only.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

you defo can't put VGA input into a VGA connector - or HDMI connector, of a laptop

You'll need to find a USB capture device
    Downside is that these usually have a slight delay (some more than slight too) as the device needs to buffer up the video, compress it and then send to the PC over the slow USB link.
    TBH - it's not worth it.

• Advertisement

DemoniK wrote: »
    you defo can't put VGA input into a VGA connector - or HDMI connector, of a laptop

You'll need to find a USB capture device
    Downside is that these usually have a slight delay (some more than slight too) as the device needs to buffer up the video, compress it and then send to the PC over the slow USB link.
    TBH - it's not worth it.
    Sounds like too much hassle. Would have been handy for college. Probably better I can't use it now!;)

Advertisement