Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nutgrove needs its motor tax office

Options
  • 14-10-2011 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Heard this week that the plan is to close down the Motor Tax office in Nutgrove
    The impact on the local area has to be considered. This will be a disaster for an already struggling shopping center.
    The tax office brings people from all over South Dublin to the shopping center and the loss of these customers will be the end for many of the shops and their suppliers.
    Now we are all well aware that cutbacks and savings must be made and on paper reducing the number of motor tax offices from 4 to 3 seems like a great idea but the reality is totally different. The savings made by the closure will be spent on increased social welfare/rent allowance payments. Madness.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Lovelyguy

Where did you here this?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Close them all and assign their duties to the post office. The country is in receivorship the sooner people realise this the better.

Nutgrove is screwed anyway. If Tesco ever quit (and there's every reason why they might), it's gone. There's no way the Motor Tax office brings in the kind of numbers that Tesco does.

In the meantime, considering things from the citizens' point of view.....

https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/welcome.do;jsessionid=0aa0114830d75e080e9f26a443a8b9ce83ee0c0a0ab0.e38PaNaSbhuOay0Nch90

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Does anyone know if this place is still open? I believe it was due to close at the end of last year..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

I thought the entire shopping centre was due to close down very soon?

The motor tax office is a bit of a relic anyway, most of its tasks can be done online or transferred to the post office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭blossom180

homer911 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if this place is still open? I believe it was due to close at the end of last year..
    It closed on 31st december

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

blossom180 wrote: »
    It closed on 31st december
    I was up there last week. Its still open.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

The shopping centre is a kip and parking was a nightmare the last time I was up there. I avoid the place at all costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

The shopping centre is a kip and parking was a nightmare the last time I was up there. I avoid the place at all costs.

I shop there every week. The Tesco's and the butchers (FX) are good. Never have to go into other shops so I can't comment on them. Never have any problems with the parking, it can be busy Saturday morning but it's still easy to get in and out of. In comparison to Rathfarnham or Dundrum it's a dream for parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭blossom180

gerard65 wrote: »
    I was up there last week. Its still open.
    Thats grand was told it was closed :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭quietriot

My only concern with the potential of Nutgrove closing is what would happen to poor ol' India Gate. Place does very good deals, very good food and has a nice restaurant if you want to sit in and eat. It has been there so long and it's so quiet there now that I'd be fairly sure that'd be the end of it altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

quietriot wrote: »
    My only concern with the potential of Nutgrove closing is what would happen to poor ol' India Gate. Place does very good deals, very good food and has a nice restaurant if you want to sit in and eat. It has been there so long and it's so quiet there now that I'd be fairly sure that'd be the end of it altogether.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but India Gate is closing in mid February. I got a take away from there last week and on the end of the receipt they had a note printed out explaining that they would be closing (on either the 12 or 17th - can't quite remember). They thanked us for our custom over the years and so on and reminded us that they still have another place in tallaght but that's really of no use to me.

As for the Motor Tax office, I couldn't care less. I see that idiot outside with his little table looking for signatures for his petition to save it. I assume he must be a retired civil servant or a union official :P

As another poster already said, all of their duties could easily be handled by the post office network or online for that matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Anyone can post on forums like this should be capable of renew their motortax on line. No need for over the counter services in this day and age. Post offices should be well capable of taking on this task.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭The_Wrecker

Where would be the nearest place to renew a licence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Where would be the nearest place to renew a licence?

I guess Smithfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭The_Wrecker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭whitesands

Never mind their links, they won't be updating that in a hurry.

Can anyone confirm, I need to get my tax done tomorrow, is nutgrove still going :confused:
    The next option was the 4 courts but I'm told that's closed aswell now??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

whitesands wrote: »
    Never mind their links, they won't be updating that in a hurry.

Can anyone confirm, I need to get my tax done tomorrow, is nutgrove still going :confused:
    The next option was the 4 courts but I'm told that's closed aswell now??
    Yes. Its still open.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭Phenomenally Phrank

Anyone here remember the toyzone in Nutgrove? at the back of where quinnsworth was, that place was my mecca when I was a kid:D:D

Seriously though, judging by the effect that dundrum town centre's opening had, i'm surprised that the likes of nutgrove, dun laoghaire and stillorgan are still open:confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Quentinkrisp

Anyone here remember the toyzone in Nutgrove? at the back of where quinnsworth was, that place was my mecca when I was a kid:D:D

Seriously though, judging by the effect that dundrum town centre's opening had, i'm surprised that the likes of nutgrove, dun laoghaire and stillorgan are still open:confused::confused:

the toyzone? oh snap, me too!:D:D yeah ive been around the shopping centres you mentioned, theyre like ****ing ghost towns, so sad to see them that way:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭quietriot

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but India Gate is closing in mid February. I got a take away from there last week and on the end of the receipt they had a note printed out explaining that they would be closing (on either the 12 or 17th - can't quite remember). They thanked us for our custom over the years and so on and reminded us that they still have another place in tallaght but that's really of no use to me.

Heard about this :(

Although, I've since been informed that the owners of India Gate also own the McDonalds drive through in Nutgrove also so I can't imagine they're feeling the pain too much :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

this place has just opened upstairs in Nutgrove, so I can't imagine the centre closing in a hurry.

http://mrbs.ie/

and although alot more people are paying online, the remaining tax office stuff shouldnt be outsourced to the post office.
    An Post are in ancillary overload (social welfare, billpay, fx, mobile topup, banking, etc) to a point of alienating those who actually want to post stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 nutgrovesc

Nutgrove shopping centre have a really great Facebook page and keep it regularly updated with news and events in the centre. Best place to get factual answers to the questions above.

Www.facebook.com/Nutgrove
    And
    Www.twitter.com/nutgrovesc

http://www.youtube.com/nutgrovesc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Stillorgan is thriving, Dun Laoghaire is MILES away and Nutgrove is holding its own.

If you just want your groceries and a little retail therapy, why would you go to a monstrosity with huge carpark queues and end up parking a mile away for the couple of stores you want to visit.

Dundrum is a destination shopping centre and perfect if you want to spend 3/4 hours at shops, but for a few groceries - no way is it suitable or attractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Vanderbilt

Nutgrove Motor Tax Office is closing on Thursday 5th April 2012

http://www.dublincity.ie/RoadsandTraffic/MotorTax/pages/motortaxhome.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Quentinkrisp

Stillorgan is thriving

Stillorgan is well past it's sell-by date, i'm afraid.
    Dun Laoghaire is MILES away

Thanks to new and better road links over the past few years, it's now much easier for people to get to dundrum from further away. There's also plenty of bus links too.
    The last time I was in Dun laoghaire SC, the place was almost deserted, so many shops had shut down.

If you just want your groceries and a little retail therapy, why would you go to a monstrosity with huge carpark queues and end up parking a mile away for the couple of stores you want to visit.

There's a tesco and a butchers shop on the entry level
    Dundrum is a destination shopping centre and perfect if you want to spend 3/4 hours at shops, but for a few groceries - no way is it suitable or attractive.

Eh, I've lived in the dundrum area my whole life, of course it's more than suitable for a few groceries, it's not just the town centre, you know!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Stillorgan is well past it's sell-by date, i'm afraid.

Thanks to new and better road links over the past few years, it's now much easier for people to get to dundrum from further away. There's also plenty of bus links too.
    The last time I was in Dun laoghaire SC, the place was almost deserted, so many shops had shut down.

There's a tesco and a butchers shop on the entry level

Eh, I've lived in the dundrum area my whole life, of course it's more than suitable for a few groceries, it's not just the town centre, you know!:rolleyes:

I'm Dundrum born, bred and lived for 30+ years, though not there these days, but parent and plenty of siblings are there.

On a saturdays & sundays, it can take 30 mins just to get into the centre and park, so for grocery shopping, its not attractive at that time. - If you lived in Churctown / meadow mount / Barton rd area, Nutgrove would be the better choice by far at the weekends.

Stillorgan IS thriving. Loads of new shops and all shops doing quite well. It is a neighbourhood centre and like above, Kilmacud, Goatstown residents would favour Stillorgan for grocery shopping esp at weekends.

Dundrum is superb, but it is not primarily designed for everyday grocery shopping whereas Nutgrove / stillorgan are designed around food shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Agree with everthing sandin says.

Advertisement