Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[Pedals] Is There Such a Thing as...

• 14-10-2011 9:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭

...Clipless pedals that are dual purpose so you can still use the bike if you need to go somewhere in normal shoes without a bag and a change of shoes? Id picture them as normal MTB pedals just with a slot for cleats in them, Im sure there are I just dont know what to look for. Im talking about a Boardman roadbike here if that makes any difference.

While Im at it are all cleats, pedals and shoes compatible with each other as standard or does every company have its own systems?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Yes Shimano do pedals that have cleat receivers on one side and flat on the other. Any bike shop will have them. The're around €60 IIRC. I use them myself. If you get the shoes with the recessed cleats, you can use them for walking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I imagine those one sided pedals are a bit annoying, as you'd have to flip it over with your foot when you move off.

There exists a double sided SPD pedal which does what you want! The Shimano M424 would probably be suitable - when you use them with a normal shoe, you push the cleat-bit down into the pedal, so it becomes a flat pedal. They don't look that easy on the eye though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

Here's an example, but there're others to choose from.

Choose carefully though - Make sure they're dual use. I bought Shimano A600 pedals for my road bike and although they looked like they were dual use (i.e. single-sided SPDs), the flats aren't flat and aren't designed for normal shoes.

... and yeah, they're a real pain in the rear when it comes to clipping in - Worst of both worlds, IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Hmmm seems to be serious drawbacks to all of them, el Bastardo's link looks good but I cant find a review anywhere, they're all pretty pricey aswell, thanks for the help though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

I have (had?*) the Shimano A530 SPD. They're fine. If you happen to put your foot down on the wrong side they are robust enough to take that. You can very simply correct this a few rotations later just before you get in to your stride.

* they're with a friend at the moment. I may never get them back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Lemag beat me to the A530 recommendation. Flat sides are fine for normal shoes and won't take your shines off if your foot slips. Have them on my commuter bike and can't fault them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I use a pair of DZR GMT-8 when I want to ride my bike in "normal" shoes

http://www.dzrshoes.com/product/gmt-8/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Lemag wrote: »
    I have (had?*) the Shimano A530 SPD. They're fine. If you happen to put your foot down on the wrong side they are robust enough to take that. You can very simply correct this a few rotations later just before you get in to your stride.

* they're with a friend at the moment. I may never get them back.

+2

Got them on my new bike yesterday. They are 100,000 times better than toe clip pedals that are on my old bike. Easy to get into as the clip in side always seems to face upwards. Would definitely recommend them!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I tried A530s and never got on with them. The flat side always seemed perilously slippery with normal shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Johnners1878

I have BBB Dual Choice pedals on mine - they're not as slimline & sexy as some. They weigh 392grams (don't know if that's heavy for pedals or not - I suspect it might be). They work ok for me and the flat side is fine. Can't remember how much they were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You can get these: http://www.bicyclehero.com/us/shimano-sm-pd22-flat-pedal-kit-y41r98070.html

Clip them in when you're going to use the bike with normal shoes, clip them out when you're using SPD shoes. That's my plan.

Apparently they really only exist to get around the law which makes it a requirement for a bike to have pedal reflectors when it's sold, but any search I've done people have said that they work perfectly and last forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Aha I think that's the solution there alright Seamus, I think its exactly what Im looking for thanks.

Advertisement