Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with music software

Options
  • 14-10-2011 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm trying to re-create something similar to this in Windows:

Does anyone have any experience with similar apps?

I can already hook up the guitar and map it to a key on the keyboard, but how do I get it so when I press "X", for example, it'll play a note?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

How are you hooking it up to the computer and mapping it to the keyboard.

If you've mapped it to the KB, then you can easily have it making noise. You could use something like Processing.org, Flash, or PureData, Max/MSP.

What programming skills do you have right now, if any?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I've it hooked up via bluetooth and using GlovePIE to map the keyboard.

I can program in C/C++ and Java, as well as PHP, but I'll be preferably looking to make the app in Java.

Actually, I see you mentioned Processing there. I've very basic experience with that and I was actually considering writing the app using Processing, so if it can be done with that, I reckon thats the way forward.

What I'm wondering is how exactly do I make a button press play a particular chord? Do I have to record the noises on my own guitar, or is there samples that come with one of the packages? I don't want some crappy midi computer beep on each button press. I'd prefer something as close as possible to how its done in the video above, but its a new area for me to go into, so just looking for some help starting off.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Processing could be good to get you started. Either way though since it's the sound generation you want then you'll need to connect whatever you use to a synthesiser.

Maybe MIDI is the way to go? Though I guess you'll need to get a library of midi sounds - i'm sure there's some free ones to start with.

http://creativecomputing.cc/p5libs/promidi/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

He says in the description that he has a the 10 notes triggering samples (using MIDI). He always says he did it 15 minutes so I'm going to assume he didn't write barely any code at all.

You could use pre-existing sampler software (or a soft-synth) to load and manage the audio side. Then you'd just need some software to interface between the guitar and the computer and hopefully generate MIDI messages.

Then you'd just need to send the MIDI data to the sampler and that would basically be it. You could do that in a very short time.

To write you're own thing, you could use Processing or Java. They both handle MIDI. Then you'd just have to write whatever you like!

Ye I'd be open to using sampling software. Dont suppose you know the name of any suitable software off hand?

After loadsa Googling and reading tutorials last night, I managed to hook up my wii guitar and output to midi, so I think that part is done. Although I'll have to test it more thoroughly. There was issues with bluetooth where it kept disconnecting. The Windows bluetooth stack seems useless!

To be honest, I'm totally new to all this midi stuff so havent a clue what I'm doing. I got some pre-made Max/MSP patches and had it so that pressing each button made a piano noise, but I think that was hooked up via keyboard mapping. GlovePIE does allow for outputting of keystrokes or midi (as well as others) so I suppose its a matter of just changing the option in the drop-down menu. Is there any way I can just go into Max/Msp and change it from "piano" to "guitar"? Coz that'd be perfect. I'm assuming I could then capture the output from max/msp into Processing and then do whatever I need to do with it then?

Thanks again for helping a n00b.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

If you have access to MAX/Msp just use that for everything. http://www.discodsp.com/highlife/ here is a free sampler if you want to try that way still.

All your doing is sending control data (midi) from one place to another. MIDI itself is as simple as simplicity can be. You either send specific actions (note start / stop ) or else CC changes which is basically changing a parameter number x to value y.

All you have to do is set up the destination to receive on a specific channel and ensure that the source has a path to the destination.

You can change the default windows midi sound (which are all terrible) if you like but you're better off triggering you're own samples.

I downloaded that discoDSP program from the link, but all I get is a DLL. Am I meant to import that DLL into Max/Msp or is there other software I need?

Actually, looking around on the site, it seems they have their own software that you have to pay a bundle for, that uses this DLL.

I have a copy of Max/Msp at my disposal so I'll probably stick with that.

Like I said in my last post, I can get the wii guitar to send midi signals, or keystrokes, and I've downloaded a patch for Max/Msp that handles these inputs, but plays a piano sound. Obviously I want guitar sounds so thats what I'm trying to figure out. I think I'll just Google for free guitar samples.

Advertisement