Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

tanker life span

• 14-10-2011 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

what is the expected life span of a vacuum tanker with normal farm use

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Some lads change them when the tyres are worn down, depends what is normal? mine is 14/15 yr old, no plans to change it yet.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Mine is 25 years old and still going strong. 1100 gallon abbey tank painted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

Mine is 25 years old and still going strong. 1100 gallon abbey tank painted.

we have a 1300gls abbey as well, must be close to that sort of age also.
    have to block a few holes to get it to fill, when the weather is dry we have to bring a bucket of mud with us to block holes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

bought a 2600 gallon single axle agrimac tanker 2 years ago... had had a 2500 gallon tandem axle tanker from ruscon for 12 years before that , was going to cost 3k to get a new pump , tyres and fix up the holes in the old one ,so wwe decided to buy a new one.. its a great job..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

Bought a new galvanised Rossmore in 1995, still perfect.

Lots of farmers still have old IPSA, we had one in the early 90's and it must have been 20 years old then.

Personally I think a farmer should only buy a galvanised one, and if they look after that it will last forever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

dar31 wrote: »
    have to block a few holes to get it to fill, when the weather is dry we have to bring a bucket of mud with us to block holes.

:D Just wondering how many weeks it takes you to empty your tanks?

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭jonny d

raindodger wrote: »
    what is the expected life span of a vacuum tanker with normal farm use

Myself and two more guys have a 1000 gal IPSA tanker which our fathers bought in 1979. Between us we would have over 120 cows plus followers.We split all maintenance costs three ways.Replaced pump 4 years ago and the tyres were replaced 3 years ago. The tubes had only one patch between the two of them!!. One of a kind??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭David brown

why dont you get fibre glass and repair the holes. very simple and effective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

why dont you get fibre glass and repair the holes. very simple and effective.

will bring it into to the shed this winter and do some thing with it. the whole thing needs a once over.
    contractor dose most of our slurry, only do it our selves for small bits of paddocks.
    how is fiber glass used to fix the hole, never herd of using it before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

jonny d wrote: »
    Myself and two more guys have a 1000 gal IPSA tanker which our fathers bought in 1979. Between us we would have over 120 cows plus followers.We split all maintenance costs three ways.Replaced pump 4 years ago and the tyres were replaced 3 years ago. The tubes had only one patch between the two of them!!. One of a kind??

IPSA?
    Cant say I ever heard of them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

IPSA?
    Cant say I ever heard of them.

You're showing how young you are now... They were first galvanised tanker, made I think in holland or perhaps denmark.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

blue5000 wrote: »
    You're showing how young you are now... They were first galvanised tanker, made I think in holland or perhaps denmark.

Still around I think. I think this is the same company:
    http://www.ipsam.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

maidhc wrote: »
    Still around I think. I think this is the same company:
    http://www.ipsam.com/

Ya have one of these since 1992 about the place. Super tanker, only ever replaced one thing, the ram to open the valve at the back. It came to us second hand and is a 1984 model. Our local engineering firm tell me that they produce the best pump of all the suppliers.

will bring it into to the shed this winter and do some thing with it. the whole thing needs a once over.
    contractor dose most of our slurry, only do it our selves for small bits of paddocks.
    how is fiber glass used to fix the hole, never herd of using it before.
    you can get fibreglass in rolls. cut out required patch. there is liquid and hardener is added.use gloves.set in half hour. slower in cold weather. steel needs to be clean and free of dirt and most important dry. work outrdoors. FUMES!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭aidanki

you can get fibreglass in rolls. cut out required patch. there is liquid and hardener is added.use gloves.set in half hour. slower in cold weather. steel needs to be clean and free of dirt and most important dry. work outrdoors. FUMES!!!!

will the fiberglass stick to steel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Apparently spreading pig slurry will dramatically reduce the lifetime of a tanker - it being very corrusive.

Our 13 year old Major sucked itself in at the end of last year - the amazing thing was it looked perfect before it happened

replaced it with a 2000 Hi Spec - excellent tanker but not easy on the pocket let me tell you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

blue5000 wrote: »

sure I'm only a gossin compared to you lads! :D

aidanki wrote: »
    will the fiberglass stick to steel
    yes

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭raindodger

add a twist to this thread what was the shortest time got out of tanker

Advertisement