Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Totally in the dark - advice appreciated

Options
  • 15-10-2011 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭

For some reason I have managed to fall completely behind the whole smartphone thing. All my friends have smartphones, and I've played with them, patted them on the head and handed them back, like a grandparent does with a cranky toddler.

Now I cannot wait for my current contract to end (approximately 6 weeks to go) so I can upgrade, I just have absolutely no clue what to do, where to go (network, brand of phone, operating system and so on) and I figure you might be able to help me.

I feel a bit like I'm in the tracker mortgage ad to be honest!

I don't understand the difference between Windows phones and Android phones. I'm fascinated by the iPhone, but have been warned off them by so many people at this stage that I'm starting to think I should avoid them.

I've spoken to Meteor, 3 and Vodafone, and I will be speaking to O2 to see what they have to offer. So far, I'm very much undecided, and I think ultimately the phone itself will make my mind up for me. Having been a Vodafone customer for the past 11 years I'm tempted to renew my contract rather than going to another network, mainly because the bulk of my calls each month are to Vodafone numbers (in excess of 2/3, to be honest), though they are far and away the most expensive network in general.

So far, the phones I'm interested in are:
    Apple iPhone 4S
    Samsung Galaxy S2
    Sony Ericsson Arc
    HTC Titan (which I am madly in love with for purely aesthetic reasons)

I don't think it makes a huge difference which direction I go in, as they're all going to involve an element of learning how they work.

I guess I'm just looking for some advice that isn't commission-related. :)

In short:
    What features are important to you in a phone? (i.e. camera, gps, FM radio, Stereo Bluetooth)
    I would like a phone that can do pretty much everything bar tap-dance.
    Form factor - i.e. touchscreen, slider, flip phone, etc.
    Touchscreen all the way please.
    Internet - is 3G/mobile internet important, or WiFi/EDGE
    Totally flexible
    Operator - have you an operator preference
    As mentioned above, I've been with Vodafone for 11 years, but I'm open to changing to get the best phone/price plan combination
    Pre-pay/Bill-pay/SIM-Free - have you a preference for either
    I prefer the convenience of a bill, if I'm honest.
    Price range
    Anything at all really

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭mlumley

I'm in the same boat.Know nothing about them but am interested in an android. Do I get free wifi access in certain areas such as McDonalds, or do I pay. Is it expensive on PAYG? I would mainly use it for internet acsess out and about.

Any help would be great.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 37 acorkonian

It depends on what you want really,

an iPhone will give you something that is really simple and easy to use and is very hard to break or even to mess up on. Its packed full of every feature you can think and can pretty much do everything except tap dance:-)

At the same time it restricts you a little in terms of customization of your phone and in my opinion it feels less personal.

If you go with the iPhone, plan on being locked into Apples ecosystem at least for the next two three years anyway.

An android phone then is something aimed at "power users". It can do everything a iPhone can do but is a little harder to use and takes a little more time to learn how it works. In my opinion it is worth the effort as once you know your way around youll be laughing

Its alot more open and customizable and more fun in gerneal I think. There isnt that wow factor that is there with the iPhone but if your not worried about that then thats fine.

Windows phone is still in early days and hasnt seen the kind of adoption android and iPhone has so expect what you would from a fresh on the market electronic device.

There is a new android phone coming out next week called the Google Nexus Prime and I would highly advise taking a look at that, it should be the best phone on the market when it comes out!

@mlumley

yes you can get free wifi in a lot of areas around towns, cafes bars etc. That is really handy but if your on PAYG I wouldnt rely soley on them. Internet about and about over 3G will cost a nice bit of cash so its really only worth it when your on bill.

I do know that most of the operators have some sort of package you can get such as 99cent for internet access for one day. It may actually be cheaper then that but they all do different bundles etc which make it a little cheaper.

Also Blush01 if you have been with vodafone for 11 years I would be demanding the best phone possible from them at no extra cost, as in for free!

Its crazy what they will throw at you once you start to mention your moving off to another network!

The Google Nexus Prime might not be available here through carriers on day one so that might be a few months out for Ireland yet, well just have to wait and see.

The Samsung Galaxy S2 is a beautiful phone too though, the screen is just gourgous! Big bright and sexy:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

If you got wifi at home or in work you won't need a huge data bundle 500 MB should be OK or go for 1gb if your gonna be using a lot of 3g. HTC user here and I love it my next phone will be HTC for sure. Although I do like the galaxy a lot too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

I think for an average Joe. Each one of them devices are perfect. I would exclude the arc though :)

The only reason you would go for an iPhone cause its fairly simple, very few practicalities with it. The OS is mainly tailored for apps. IPhone can't do something, buy an app.

A yearly cycle of phone releases. So there won't be a new phone in a few weeks or months, same applies for wp7.

Windows Phone has a slightly different approach. More functions while keeping everything simple. Still a fresh OS but if you have a look at reviews online you will find it hard to find one that says something bad about it.

Android OS is for people who like to customize and make their device personal. Its not locked down unlike IOS or WP7 so it lets you do basically anything. But the cost of that is that there's tons of malware conning into the phone and from the marketplace ( or marketplaces).

There's a new phone rushed out to the marketplace with better specs every couple of months. The only phone id consider on Android to buy would be a pure google nexus phone without any manufacturer modifications :)

I personally love wp7, couldn't go back to android, android doesn't look or work to me as smooth and slick as IOS or wp7 does.

easiest way to familiarize yourself with a phone is watching YouTube reviews :) or read some older threads here. Their all pretty much the same :)

Though the titan will be a great multimedia device :) especially for internet, gaming and movies with that huge screen :)

Advertisement