Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weightlifting / Powerlifting

Options
  • 15-10-2011 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering what the difference is. Heard someone say they were making the switch, and up until that point I thought they were the same thing.

I'm interested in getting involved in a strength based sport, but, I'm not really sure which to even research :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Morning

Weightlifting

Snatch/Clean & jerk

Snatch

Clean&Jerk

Powerlifting

Squat/bench/deadlift

full meet video picked as it was easier :)

Powerlifting can also be done equipped using a squat suit, bench shirt and deadlift suit but these are not usually for beginners.

both have a big following in ireland. Competition seasons seem to run from feb to october with a lot of comps in that time period.

Whats your background? dont any strenght training before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Fewcifur wrote: »
    Just wondering what the difference is. Heard someone say they were making the switch, and up until that point I thought they were the same thing.

I'm interested in getting involved in a strength based sport, but, I'm not really sure which to even research :o

Check what facilities are close to your home. Is there a gym near to you with a powercage or squat rack?

powerline_fitness_PPR178_power_rack.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Would I be correct in saying weightlifting (as in Olympic lifting) is far more complex in terms of skill than power lifting and would definitely require coaching. Where power lifting, you'd probably get on ok without a regular coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

No background in any of this. Used to play rugby (think I was convinced to take it up again last night... :p ) and the usual resistance stuff.

Kinda shopping around for a sport to take up at the mo.

Must say, of the two, weightlifting looks far more unpleasant in a "If I do this wrong I'm going to break myself in two" kind of way. Obviously both need care and technique, but the explosive nature of that first video, ouch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Start one and change later if you like. Powerlifting is probably fun. Never competed meself. Been to watch a few contests and they look great fun, but require a lot of sacrifice.

Starting strenght or another gym routine based around squat, bench and deadlift. All those lifts require some coaching from someone like a gym instructor.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Basic proficiency is obtainable in PL without a coach, getting really good probably requires someone with a lot more knowledge than you tho.

Getting even proficient at OL requires a coach right from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Would I be correct in saying weightlifting (as in Olympic lifting) is far more complex in terms of skill than power lifting and would definitely require coaching. Where power lifting, you'd probably get on ok without a regular coach.

Getting to a level where you could seriously compete would require caoching in both imo.

But the power lifting can be included as part of a casual gym program with ease. You can prob take yourself to a relatively impressive level on you own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

I'd be inclined to suggest decent coaching from the beginning in both. Every gym has loads of people doing a big set of good mornings and calling them squats, or deadlifting in a style that makes me think they're actually gonna break themselves in two :eek:
    A good coach will have you doing it right from the beginning and progress will be safer and better for it. You wouldn't hit the roads with no driving lessons, why get under a heavy, fast moving bar when you're only guessing you know what you're at?

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

Every gym has loads of people doing a big set of good mornings and calling them squats

Every day I am in the gym I see a PT in with the senior county panel allowing them to squat like that. It hurts my eyes. Maybe it's some kind of squat/good morning combo that I am unaware off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Kang Squats ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

Molly wrote: »
    Kang Squats ;)

Just googled that. They look a bit silly. That is definitely not what they are trying to do though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

They serve a purpose and I was taking the piss

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭KeithReilly

Advertisement