Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Know your... coordinates?

Options
  • 15-10-2011 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

As a man with a van who has to travel to new addresses far and wide, the most efficient, accurate and easy way to get somewhere is using Latitude and Longitude coordinates. Unfortunately not many people are aware of such a system and just how easy it makes it for the likes of myself to find an address.

With phones with built in GPS and maps readily available from only €39, I'd consider it an extremely valuable tool for anyone, especially in Ireland where so many houses can be in the middle of nowhere, with no post codes and only a road name which could go on for miles. I've read a few threads here of people complaining about failed deliveries from couriers etc because they simply couldn't find the house.

Google Street View makes it even easier too. I've freaked out a few customers over the phone asking things like "is it the one with the yellow door?" after they tell me their address :D

It's simple to go from looking up an address to arriving there with your GPS.
    1 - Go to maps.google.ie
    2 - Search, zoom and pan until you find the area location.
    3 - Drag the little orange man in the zoom bar to the exact street if available. Navigate in street view until you find the exact point.
    4 - Click the link button in the top right corner, you'll be presented with a link URL and within this URL you'll find the coordinates in decimal format. The dublin area is generally around 53.000000,-6.000000 numbers. You can also get the exact coordinates by right clicking any point on the map (while not in street view) and clicking "What's here?". The coordinates will then appear in the map search field in the format as above.
    5 - Input these numbers to your GPS or have them available to give over the phone etc to anyone who may need them. Make sure you choose the correct format on your GPS. It must be decimal format (on Garmin you're looking for h ddd.ddddd°). Also, just to note, your GPS may have North, South, East and West settings rather than + or -. Anything above 0 is North or East and anything below is South or West.
    6 - Double check the route before you set off to make sure you have inputted the coordinates properly and they lead to the correct area as one little mistake could lead to a huge difference in distance.
    7 - Set off and you'll eventually arrive within a few meters of the selected coordinates.

Your GPS device should also be able to tell your coordinates and this is a great way to share your location to anyone you may be meeting who also has a GPS and most smart phones should have a "Share My Location" option built in.

It's unlikely coordinates will become a standardised way of sharing addresses, for the next generation or two anyway. Although the coordinate system is nothing new, handheld consumer devices being able to take advantage of them is and maybe they'll be more widely implemented in the coming years.

Jaysus, that turned out much longer than I thought it would!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Thanks for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

I know mine in spherical polar coordinates.

Gets coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

jesus, its Jason Bourne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭InkSlinger67

Is there a Ranting & Co-ordinates forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Well I know that I am here and you are there. That will do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I think its close to 57 for me maybe I am wrong...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Just don't live in the middle of nowhere.
    Problem Solved.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭maygitchell

Excellent OP

Now, do me a favour, fill the van with tricolours an a 10m x 7m billboard saying "I love sinn fein, UP THE RA" to KeithAFC's house, pretty please? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Ever been in a car with someone who has no concept of direction or distance?

Yeah?

Ever been in a car with someone who has no concept of direction or distance and who dismisses someone who does because they can't?

I have.

I'd say it's a bit like being in a hot air balloon with a steering wheel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

krudler wrote: »
    jesus, its Jason Bourne.

It's really David Webbmaster.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

White van man so?

Do you live up to the stereotype of being furious and aggressive on the roads? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Are we there yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Great, don't understand or get half the replies in me own thread, good oul AH :D

mikemac, my radio station of choice is Lyric FM, I don't know if that answers your question though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

GPS me hole...when I was a delivery driver there was no such thing as GPS. I'd be given directions such as 4th boreen on the right,past the wooden fence,left at the yellow house,round the dangerous bend etc etc ...and I still managed to find the f**kers :P

Don't speak ill of Sat Navs, I'd be lost without them :D

Hi again folks, just wondering, if anyone out there with a Tom Tom can tell me, is there an option to input the decimal coordinates there too and is it default?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

or in hexadecimal...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

cormie wrote: »
    As a man with a van who has to travel to new addresses far and wide, the most efficient, accurate and easy way to get somewhere is using Latitude and Longitude coordinates. Unfortunately not many people are aware of such a system and just how easy it makes it for the likes of myself to find an address.

With phones with built in GPS and maps readily available from only €39, I'd consider it an extremely valuable tool for anyone, especially in Ireland where so many houses can be in the middle of nowhere, with no post codes and only a road name which could go on for miles. I've read a few threads here of people complaining about failed deliveries from couriers etc because they simply couldn't find the house.

Google Street View makes it even easier too. I've freaked out a few customers over the phone asking things like "is it the one with the yellow door?" after they tell me their address :D

It's simple to go from looking up an address to arriving there with your GPS.
    1 - Go to maps.google.ie
    2 - Search, zoom and pan until you find the area location.
    3 - Drag the little orange man in the zoom bar to the exact street if available. Navigate in street view until you find the exact point.
    4 - Click the link button in the top right corner, you'll be presented with a link URL and within this URL you'll find the coordinates in decimal format. The dublin area is generally around 53.000000,-6.000000 numbers. You can also get the exact coordinates by right clicking any point on the map (while not in street view) and clicking "What's here?". The coordinates will then appear in the map search field in the format as above.
    5 - Input these numbers to your GPS or have them available to give over the phone etc to anyone who may need them. Make sure you choose the correct format on your GPS. It must be decimal format (on Garmin you're looking for h ddd.ddddd°). Also, just to note, your GPS may have North, South, East and West settings rather than + or -. Anything above 0 is North or East and anything below is South or West.
    6 - Double check the route before you set off to make sure you have inputted the coordinates properly and they lead to the correct area as one little mistake could lead to a huge difference in distance.
    7 - Set off and you'll eventually arrive within a few meters of the selected coordinates.

Your GPS device should also be able to tell your coordinates and this is a great way to share your location to anyone you may be meeting who also has a GPS and most smart phones should have a "Share My Location" option built in.

It's unlikely coordinates will become a standardised way of sharing addresses, for the next generation or two anyway. Although the coordinate system is nothing new, handheld consumer devices being able to take advantage of them is and maybe they'll be more widely implemented in the coming years.

Jaysus, that turned out much longer than I thought it would!

Ummm thanks I guess, kinda knew this already though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Bit of a white van man meets rain man post Cormie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

Co-ordinates are mega useful considering most sat navs have a lot of flaws especially if you're unfamiliar with an area (usually why you're using them). For example, pop in Glendalough and they try send you to somewhere in the a-hole of Cork.
    Bleh. Old school maps all the way-at least then I can traditionally blame my female map reading abilities rather than something I shelled out a shed load of money for...

• Advertisement

Ah I guess I'm just hoping more people will become familiar with it to make my job of finding places that def... definitely easier :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭niallb

Hi Cormie.
    How do you cope with Google Maps for navigation in rural areas?
    It's driving me up the wall, and maybe I'm just missing something.

As an example, the nearest thing google recognises as a "real address" with a number and a streetname etc is more than 2km from my house.
    When I'm home, it lists this "nearest address" as my "location".

A lot of the places I work with are in the middle of nowhere as far as maps are concerned,
    and google seems to quietly say to itself -
    "ah he must surely have meant the last house on the last road in Mullagh, sure there's nothing out here!" :eek:

Even saving a location when you're physically there can leave you with 10 locations called "Unnamed Road".
    Change it at all, and you can end up going to the nearest place that qualifies as an "unnamed road" in the same townland.

I'd a trip to do yesterday, and I selected the "Unnamed Road" I thought I'd set up for it in Cavan, and it tried to navigate me 3,500 km to Pakistan.
    Seemingly there's an "Unnamed Road" there too...

Second the motion for ranting and coordinates forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Ever been in a car with someone who has no concept of direction or distance?

Yeah?

Ever been in a car with someone who has no concept of direction or distance and who dismisses someone who does because they can't?

I have.

I'd say it's a bit like being in a hot air balloon with a steering wheel.

you mean been in a car with a woman driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

GPS is over-rated. i can still read 8 figure grid references. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

AH -> GPS

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

niallb wrote: »
    Hi Cormie.
    I'd a trip to do yesterday, and I selected the "Unnamed Road" I thought I'd set up for it in Cavan, and it tried to navigate me 3,500 km to Pakistan.
    Seemingly there's an "Unnamed Road" there too...

Second the motion for ranting and coordinates forum!

You should have went to Pakistan, it's more civilised than Cavan:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

Nice advertisement OP :pac:

biko, this was meant as a general thread for all, most users of the GPS forum will know about coordinates :)

niallb, I don't actually use google maps for in car navigation but there's no reason why you can't get the same functionality. I just had a go there, if you "search" for coordinates, it gives the same problem and just points you to the closest "known" location. This is no use if you want to go to specific coordinates, but what you can do is just open the "Directions" option, and then in the destination, input the coordinates and then you'll see that once it calculates the route, the destination point will indeed be the exact coordinates.

If you're asking how I deal with addresses in the country, with no road names, house numbers or house names showing up... and with no coordinates, the answer is with difficulty. I'd always try to plan ahead so I know exactly where I'm going, I'd get a customer on the phone while I'd be at the computer and navigate in street view to exactly where they are saying, do the process above and then I'll have the coordinates and it will take me straight there!

If you ARE somewhere and want to get the coordinates of this place with Google Maps Mobile, it seems the only way at the moment is to zoom and pan to the exact location as best as possible with the exact spot you want being in the centre of the screen, then go to more > about and you'll see down in the list is "centre of map" and it gives you the coordinates there, you might have to write them down as it doesn't seem possible to click and copy them.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

For TomTom device you can navigate to to Coordinates as follows

Navigate to
    Scroll across
    Latitude Longitude Enter N ******** ok
    Enter W ******* ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭niallb

cormie wrote: »
    If you ARE somewhere and want to get the coordinates of this place with Google Maps Mobile, it seems the only way at the moment is to zoom and pan to the exact location as best as possible with the exact spot you want being in the centre of the screen, then go to more > about and you'll see down in the list is "centre of map" and it gives you the coordinates there, you might have to write them down as it doesn't seem possible to click and copy them.

Actually, you can zoom in and hold the location, and top right in the pop up for "What's here", there's an empty star.
    Fill that in, and it'll appear on your "Starred Places", so you can find it again on a webbrowser or in "My Places" on the phone.

You can even change the name of the Starred Places by going to "Google Bookmarks" in a browser and editing it there.
    Unfortunately, doing that often is what resets the location to the "nearest address" :-(
    It's all a bit messy, but can be worked with.

Advertisement