Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has Facebook had its day?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

It's kind of weird I think all the people who were on bebo for ages after people moved to facebook are still on facebook and loving it.

The next big thing? nothing i think. It's becoming more popular not to have any social networking stuff at all.

Facebook has got way too popular and the 'cool' kids are abandoning it.

Facebook is bigger than Bebo ever was. It's much more embedded in the web - lots of sites now have that "Facebook social plugin" which shows who likes the site or allows comments to be posted.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

It will take a while to die, but I imagine some other social media site will become more popular and people will switch. Facebook is killing itself with constant unnecessary updates and messing around with existing features so that they no longer work or become less effective. It's habit of resetting your custom privacy settings with each update is also extremely tiresome.

Social media in some form or another will always be around though. The likes of MySpace, Bebo, Facebook were/are so popular because they're so useful and fun. Their ilk will be around for a very very very long time.

Twitter is quite unique though. I don't see that going anywhere :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

THFC wrote: »
    I still spend a good bit of time on it, but the thing that annoys me the most about it hasn't anything to do with the site itself, it's the fcuking people that must take a picture of anything remotely interesting that happens in their life and then upload it.

Still though, fb has a looong way to go.

This is what i wonder.
    Are there social networking sites that exist that are not infested by such ****heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭writhen

Just watched pilot of Big Bang Theory - Sheldon mentions that he has 200+ friends on ......... MySpace! That was broadcast first in sept 2007. Who knows where FB will be in 4 years. I know it does my head in now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Facebook will only fall when another service(Google+?) embeds itself in society as much or more than Facebook has.
    A lot of websites have an option to share on Facebook, a lot of businesses have a Facebook presence and it's even referenced on mainstream advertising by those companies. Facebook's more integrated into society than any other social networking website to date, and it's going to be hard to topple the Zuckerberg empire.

Just noticed, if you type "Zuckerberg" in Google Chrome, it comes up as a misspelled word, with the first suggested correction being "Cocksucker". :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭bc dub

I've a pain in me ballix with it at the moment. I've realised that a physical addiction to doing something every 15 minutes is not good for you. I've completely taken a step back from it and have stopped using it cometely.
    another part I don't like is the enforced interaction you have with your friends that particular weekend? real friends are the ones that don't talk to you on Facebook

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Alter-Ego wrote: »
    Just noticed, if you type "Zuckerberg" in Google Chrome, it comes up as a misspelled word, with the first suggested correction being "Cocksucker". :pac:

No it doesn't.

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

No, just because you've become bored with it, doesn't mean everyone else has. There are millions logged into facebook right now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Biggins wrote: »
    No, Facebook will be around for many years.
    Why?
    ...Because as much as many might leave it, there now is too many on it to fail for some time to come.

The upcoming pc users that are young teens (or younger), join it as soon as they have the knowledge and skills to do so. They will want to additionally chat, etc with their friends - and every year brings another round of new members that additionally want to join in on something so massively big. They will in the majority, want to part of the huge collective - rather than be left out.

The numbers might rise and fall like a roller-coaster ride at times but one thing is for sure, one way or another, Facebook is here to stay for quite some time.
    To think different would be foolish.

Remember Bebo? The same could have been said of that the year it died, remember myspace?

Facebook will die once a viable alternative is adopted by enough people to make it look attractive, that might be Google plus it might not. I'm tempted to say it won't be but I remember myself and a few friends looking around facebook and laughing a few months before it broke out of the states, thinking it was useless beside bebo and would never get anywhere... for shame! At the time it looked like bebo was going to be a constant here.

Facebooks power is starting to wane, it lacks the subtlety of companies like Google when it comes to abusing the hell out of your data for advertising revenue, and of course it has lost what is possibly the most important aspect of modern communications: ease of use, people don't like forced change, they don't like screens jammed with useless crap, and the majority are pretty wary of how obviously public all their data appears on facebook. This is creating the conditions for a new provider to take over. If I recall correctly bebo changed their user interface quite drastically just before it died painfully too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I think people are getting sick of the "like marketing" obsession, nowadays if you want to enter any competition online, or avail of any offer, etc etc you have to like the company, which alot of people just don't want to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Facebook is already way, way, bigger than facebook or bebo ever were. I don't want to say it's too big to fail because nothing ever is, but it seems well placed to last for many years. For a lot of users for all intents and purposes facebook is the internet. However there is some evidence that it is beginning to lose users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭barakus

Facebook is knocking nails in its own coffin. I utterly fail to understand why websites do this.

I am a regular user of Boards.ie and I'm sure many in this thread are too. The interface we have is absolutely brilliant, and aside from a few tweaks there isn't much I can think of to upgrade it.

Now, answer me this: Would you still be a regular Boards user if they literally moved everything around every 2 weeks? If you had to re-learn how everything works and where everything is at the start of each month?

Even worse, supposing they took something which works perfectly and utterly trashed it? Imagine if the posting interface changed from a HTML based form to some kind of Flash application which takes ages to load, crashes often, and only works on the absolute newest browser?

Finally, what if the thread list no longer showed threads in chronological order but showed some threads you often post in, and others which have recent posts, and in a totally random order?

The last two paragraphs of my post are what Facebook have done to Facebook Chat. It no longer works half the time, and when it does, it shows me a bunch of people who aren't even online at the time. What the HELL was the point of this, for example?

Facebook is destroying itself because it insists that it has to keep evolving, that at no point can it decide on a successful model and leave it alone until the users actually ASK for new features.

Every "Upgrade" to Facebook in the last 2 years has made it progressively harder and more frustrating to use the site.

well said. why are they messing with it when the original simple format and lack of 'skins' etc was what made it good. Lot of people on the payroll coming up with this kind of crap I spose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    I havent logged into mine in over 2 weeks, havent posted a status in 3 and some friends are starting to delete their account.

Has it had its day? What's the next big internet thing? Another Social Network site or something else entirely. And please no one say Google Plus, its like the programmer/conceiver dropped many, many Class A drugs ;)

its %hit

* logs onto fb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Deleted my account, got precious time back. I call friends and family and the people that matter, or even actually SEE them!

Nobody has 598 friends in real life, its low quality interaction maintaining low quality relationships.

• Advertisement

barakus wrote: »
    well said. why are they messing with it when the original simple format and lack of 'skins' etc was what made it good. Lot of people on the payroll coming up with this kind of crap I spose

The new "timeline" format actually looks like Bebo to me. All they need is some crappy dance track looped! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

If FB was a newspaper i would crumble it up throw it in the fire and POKE the sh*t out of it. thats my view on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭T0mmy C

Facebook = The cause of many problems.

It's like an online version of Jeremy Kyle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

patwicklow wrote: »
    If FB was a newspaper i would crumble it up throw it in the fire and POKE the sh*t out of it. thats my view on it.

And iv just clocked it that was my 666 post does that not give a hint?? devils work fb :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

All I want is a chronological order of post. I don't want fb to decide wtf I wanted read??? This is what has killed it for me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭T0mmy C

All I want is a chronological order of post. I don't want fb to decide wtf I wanted read??? This is what has killed it for me

I agree.

There's always a case of changing something popular, as if it needs to be done.

Why meddle with something that isn't broke?

It just risks what people liked about it in the first place, but I'm sure the inventors see it as needing to progress to remain popular. In the long term it actually does more harm than good.

Why am I flagged news from contacts I don't care about just because Facebook deems it to be of interest to me. Loads of poppins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I'm the kind of person who complains about the updates and how they should stop changing stuff and whatnot, but, after a day or two it's back to normal useage. Once you get used to it, it's still more or less the exact same. It should be said however that I never use the chat function so that might be part of the reason I qickly get used to it again.

Really though, if you hate it so much, dont use it. Simple. You dont need to go on internet forums and tell everyone how much it sucks and how you hate everyone on it and want to delete your account. Just STFU and do it if it's that much of a problem. Move on with your life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

Facebook is already way, way, bigger than facebook or bebo ever were. I don't want to say it's too big to fail because nothing ever is, but it seems well placed to last for many years. For a lot of users for all intents and purposes facebook is the internet. However there is some evidence that it is beginning to lose users.

Facebook is already way, way, bigger than facebook or bebo ever were

:D
    Epic fail bro..facebook was an overnite sensation once people become suspicious it an overnite fail...the fact blackberry and facebook where used to orgainise the arab spring at once both confirms thier greatness whilst at the same time confirming their demise...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Really though, if you hate it so much, dont use it. Simple. You dont need to go on internet forums and tell everyone how much it sucks and how you hate everyone on it and want to delete your account. Just STFU and do it if it's that much of a problem. Move on with your life.
    We are discussing whether or not it's had its day in general, not b*tching about how we personally hate it whilst it's running in a different tab, get off your high horse, at least until the right thread comes along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Or you could just put all your friends into a list and then click that list on your home page and then it would be in chronological order.

Not that I use facebook to stay in touch with friends around the world or anything :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Facebook will go like bebo eventually - they will fill it so full of ads, games and other junk (in a vain attempt to keep people interested and rake in the cash) where if they left it nice and simple it would have had a much longer lifetime.

Take twitter for example. I reckon that will go on forever. It's just wonderfully simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

sdeire wrote: »
    Facebook will go like bebo eventually - they will fill it so full of ads, games and other junk (in a vain attempt to keep people interested and rake in the cash) where if they left it nice and simple it would have had a much longer lifetime.

Take twitter for example. I reckon that will go on forever. It's just wonderfully simple.

Until they will fill it so full of ads, games and other junk (in a vain attempt to keep people interested and rake in the cash) where if they left it nice and simple it would have had a much longer lifetime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

dsmythy wrote: »
    Until they will fill it so full of ads, games and other junk (in a vain attempt to keep people interested and rake in the cash) where if they left it nice and simple it would have had a much longer lifetime.

That's my point - they haven't. In any event it's not really as suceptible to the proliferation of flash apps etc. They could ruin it though, of course, but I doubt it. I'm not a huge tweeter myself that said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭crystallove

I like facebook ,it is a good place to meet my friends, to share ideas with my friends, know the recent news of my friends, so I love facebook and twitter...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

4Sheets wrote: »
    Facebook is already way, way, bigger than facebook or bebo ever were

:D
    Epic fail bro..facebook was an overnite sensation once people become suspicious it an overnite fail...the fact blackberry and facebook where used to orgainise the arab spring at once both confirms thier greatness whilst at the same time confirming their demise...

Ah not that epic, myspace i meant. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Timothy Bryce

Giselle wrote: »
    Deleted my account, got precious time back. I call friends and family and the people that matter, or even actually SEE them!

Nobody has 598 friends in real life, its low quality interaction maintaining low quality relationships.

Well done! But you know it's possible to have a Facebook account *and* call/see people that matter?

Advertisement