Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardening

Options
  • 15-10-2011 1:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

How do you prevent basil from turning black?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Try posting in the Gardening Forum.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Moved from Kilkenny County to Gardening

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

How do you prevent basil from turning black?
    Don't over water it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Theprogardener

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Cold, its really like the canary down the mine shaft of the plant world. Apart from bruising very easily when handled, low temps below 7 oC cause the plant leaves to blacken. It's really a summer plant only, if you do buy any growing plants of basil in the supermarkets now, give them a good checkover for chill damage and keep them somewhere in the house that has constant warm temps and good light. I know my kitchen is perfect during the day but way too cold at night for basil during winter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement