Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transferring money to Irish account with paypal

Options
  • 15-10-2011 1:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi guys

I have my salary paid into my NAB bank account here. The one time I tried to transfer funds into my Irish AIB account, I was charged a whopping $22 fee! And was told I would incur this each time I transferred funds internationally. I have been advised to set up both my accounts on Paypal which incurs a much smaller transaction fee. I have just set up my Oz bank account on my Paypal account, but cant see how or where I can set up my Irish account to transfer funds.

If anyone has done this already I'd really appreciate if you could help me out with the process!

Thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

How much you being charged for the Nab to Paypal to Irish ?

Are there exchange rates better than Nabs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭LittleT

Not sure to be honest, but it's a good question. There was no issue of any fees when I was setting up my NAB account on paypal, but you might already know more about this than I do...

Someone who recommended I try this said they were charged about $3 for the whole process. Pity I cant remember who told me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Paypal completely do you on the FX rate - currently 1 AUD will cost you 0.77 EUR! Transfer with currencyfair.com and it'd cost you 0.74 EUR at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

think money bookers might be cheaper than paypal. but not 100% sure.
    iam fairly sure someone had a thread on here a few weeks back about a site where you can exchange curriencies with other punters and get a much more favourable exchange rate.

here check out the moneybookers transfer fees with this calculator here there is a maximum limit of €999.99 there atm per transaction, but you can get these increased when you verify your a/c's. it looks like they only charge .68cents transaction fee but not sure about their xe rate.
    just checked it there and their xe rate is .7205 and xe.com is quoting .7457, so their is quite a big diff.
    interestinglyenough neither aib or boi have their exchange rates quoted on their sites:confused:
    national australia bank are offering .7051:eek:
    so basically they are all screwing you.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭LittleT

You're right they are all screwing us in their own way....No obvious solution really is there...

• Advertisement

LittleT wrote: »
    No obvious solution really is there...

The currencyfair.com link I put above is a fairly obvious solution to be honest! Its as close to interbank rate as you'll get, theres no commission, and the only fee is a very small one when you make your final withdrawal. Have been using it for months now - very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

kdevitt wrote: »
    LittleT wrote: »
    No obvious solution really is there...
    j

The currencyfair.com link I put above is a fairly obvious solution to be honet! Its as close to interbank rate as you'l l get, theres no commission, and the only fee is a very small one when you make your final withdrawal. Have been using it for months now - very handy.

Agree with K currencyfair.com is one the better ones around. Their fees r very low n their transfer time is great too. You can deposit funds n wait for the best rate to transfer.

Plus and I could be wrong on this but BOI didn't charge me a fee when i used Currencyfair where they did when i used my aussie bank to transfer. Got hit twice then $22 from this side n another amount for BOI to accept the transfer plus the exchange rate was crap as well.

Ozeire wrote: »
    Plus and I could be wrong on this but BOI didn't charge me a fee when i used Currencyfair where they did when i used my aussie bank to transfer. Got hit twice then $22 from this side n another amount for BOI to accept the transfer plus the exchange rate was crap as well.

You're not wrong - you deposit into an Irish account to fund your EUR balance, and as an intra-Ireland standard transfer thats free. The withdrawal comes from their AUD account into your AUD account - which is also intra-country, and also free - hence you only needing to pay a small fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭cork2

Hey, a friend of mine recommended currencyfair to me so i made my account and registered my AIB account. i want to transfer to and from my australian account but my australian statement dosent seem to have an IBAN or a BIC listed on it. Im just wondering whether i its just not there or whether they call them something else? any help much appriciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭jockey#1

cork2 wrote: »
    Hey, a friend of mine recommended currencyfair to me so i made my account and registered my AIB account. i want to transfer to and from my australian account but my australian statement dosent seem to have an IBAN or a BIC listed on it. Im just wondering whether i its just not there or whether they call them something else? any help much appriciated :)

I just use my account and BSB number and it works fine, as far as i can remember you have the option to use either an IBAN OR account & BSB number!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭cork2

thanks alot, my mistake it seems to be working.

Advertisement