Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork All Day EGL Event

Options
  • 15-10-2011 2:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

G4X is running another Gaming event, this time in Cork in the Gresham Metropole Hotel on the 22nd of October(Saturday).
    Doors open @ 10:25am --- Reg starts(For normal gamers) @ 10:30am --- Tournament start @ 11:30am
    Finish Time @ 9:30pm

We will have all the usual fighting games. SSF4 AE, MK6, Tekkan 6.

Age limit : 12 years and up
    Anyone under the age of 18 may email info@game4xtra.com and we will send you a parental consent form which needs to be filled out and returned via email or on the day.

We are running it with NetSoc so all UCC students receive a 20% discount.
    NUI Galway students may avail of this as well.

You will need a provide a valid Student card.

To book your spot please visit our pre-reg page HERE.

If you need any more information just ask.

Regards,
    Flanders536

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

What's the EGL?

What's the tournament format/ruleset for the fighting games?

What's the price?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

If I'm just there for the SF4 tournament am I going to have to be there from 11:30 til 9:30?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭VizardAnto

Whats the full list of games? and do you have to register online or can you sign up when you go in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Taken from one of G4X's pages:

The cost to enter the event will be €10 which will give you all day access to the event. Purchasing a Gamer Card for €5 which will allow you access into a certain amount of tournaments on the Xbox 360, PS3 and / or the PC.

Games on the night will consist of the following:

- FIFA 2012
    - Halo: Reach
    - Gran Turismo 5
    - Gears of War 3
    - StarCraft 2
    *You have to prereg on G4X for this
    - Mortal Kombat
    - Tekken 6
    - Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition
    - Call of Duty: Black Ops
    - Retro & Kinect Corner

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Shokashi

do we have to buy this on the site or will we be able to but entry at the event

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Flanders536

Shokashi wrote: »
    do we have to buy this on the site or will we be able to but entry at the event

You can do either,

If you wish to book ahead of time you can pre-reg on the site here,

You can also pay on the day. The only game which you have to Pre-Register for is Starcraft 2.

Regards,
    Flanders536

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    What's the EGL?

I forgot to mention that the European Gaming League is a leauge being run throughout all of G4X's events. Every win/loss you recieve will be tallied up after each event you attend and your current standing in the Irish leaderboard will be displayed on G4X's site. (You'll have to register there for this to happen)
    The overall winners will be put into a final in Dublin at some point in 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭wtfbenson

I live just down the street from the Gresham so I'd be more than happy to have people over for drinks and some casuals after the event, assuming there's interest. I suppose it would also depend on when AE ends, if we're sitting around for 6 hours waiting for it to start, there may not be much interest so we'll have to look at the schedule the day of.

If it's something people are interested in though, we could easily make it a weekly event since I think I have enough space to accomodate like 3 set ups and probably seat like 8 or 9 relatively comfortably. I apologize for hijacking the thread, it just seemed better here than opening a new thread to gauge interest.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Sairus wrote: »
    I forgot to mention that the European Gaming League is a leauge being run throughout all of G4X's events. Every win/loss you recieve will be tallied up after each event you attend and your current standing in the Irish leaderboard will be displayed on G4X's site. (You'll have to register there for this to happen)
    The overall winners will be put into a final in Dublin at some point in 2012.

Just read this... I hope there's some Dublin events so because so far they've all been really difficult for me to even try to get to... and seeing as the two statistically strongest current SF players are Dubs, it'd be a real shame if they couldn't show that when the gang comes here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Isn't starcraft the only EGL game on there? I don't think SF has anything to do with it.

• Advertisement

Isn't starcraft the only EGL game on there? I don't think SF has anything to do with it.

No SC2 is the only game you must pre-register for, please read below:

The cost to enter the event will be €10 which will give you all day access to the event. Purchasing a Gamer Card for €5 which will allow you access into a certain amount of tournaments on the Xbox 360, PS3 and / or the PC.

Games on the night will consist of the following:

- FIFA 2012
    - Halo: Reach
    - Forza motorsport 4
    - Gears of War 3
    - StarCraft 2
    *You have to prereg on G4X for this
    - Mortal Kombat
    - Tekken 6
    - Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition
    - Call of Duty: Black Ops
    - Retro & Kinect Corner

What's the craic with food in there and all that 11.30 to 9.30 is a long time and mashing is hungry work.

mackg wrote: »
    What's the craic with food in there and all that 11.30 to 9.30 is a long time and mashing is hungry work.

The hotel have a restaurant downstairs for any food you want to get, there will also be a bar open in the event for soft drinks and snaks threw out the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Silver Steeez

How is the Halo being run , i think i read on your website somewhere its 4v4 , do we get our own screens or is it split screen for 4 , also what are the prizes or does it depend on entrants ? Ill be there regardless entering a bunch of stuff

do we not have a time table for this yet, i dont want to be hanging around all day to wait for one event to start at some random time.

do we not have a time table for this yet, i dont want to be hanging around all day to wait for one event to start at some random time.
    I am currently setting up the event in th gresham i will post the schedule very soon

regards
    mark

EVENT SCHEDULE
    10:30am Doors Open -- Registration Begins

12:15pm
    StarCraft 2 Super Street Fighter 4 AE(1st Tournament)

12:30pm Tekken 6(1st Tournament)

12:45pm Mortal Kombat(1st Tournament)
    Fifa 12(1st Tournament)

13:00pm Halo Reach 4v4 (1st Tournament)

13:30pm Gears Of War 3 2v2 (1st Tournament)

13:45pm Call Of Duty: Black Ops 2v2(1st Tournament)
    Forza Motorsport 4(1st Tournament)

14:45pm Super Street Fighter 4 AE(2nd Tournament)

15:00pm Tekken 6 (2nd Tournament)

15:15pm Mortal Kombat (2nd Tournament)

16:00pm Fifa 12 (2nd Tournament)

17:15pm Super Street Fighter 4 AE(3rd Tournament)

17:30pm Tekken 6(3rd Tournament)

17:45pm Mortal Kombat(3rd Tournament)

18:00pm Call Of Duty: Black Ops 2v2

18:00pm Forza Motorsport 4(2nd Tournament)

18:15pm Gears Of War 3 2v2 (2nd Tournament)

18:30pm Halo 2v2(2nd Tournament)

19:15pm Fifa 12(3rd Tournament)

19:30pm Super Street Fighter 4 AE(4th Tournament)

19:45pm Tekken 6(4th Tournament)

20:00pm Mortal Kombat(4th Tournament)

22:00pm Prize Giving

22:30pm Event Finishes
    Doors Close

Ooh, plenty of SSFIV tourneys for me to beast in! :D

we'll see :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

we'll see :pac::pac::pac:

Can one of ye attending pm me yer phone number, im in cork right now and will be tommorow but im with the misses and cant exactly stay there the whole day. If one of ye could text me when things get goin id appreciate it (i can pm ye my number)

• Advertisement

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

Damn... there's so many sf ones and two mk ones and two halo ones. I was gonna not go, but now I have no choice. Bitches gonna get dey ankles chopped, up in dat cornah, if'n dey tryta poke aftah dat hadouken.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭WasterEx

Let the hype begin. Let's go, let's go.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

From what I've heard, this was a joke of an event.

Also can't find any mention of this or G4X on the EGL website.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

Just passed the gresham and saw the staff packing gear into vans, also heard from a local player that sf4 was cancelled after 1 tournament due to uneven numbers for pools and lack of people in general. I feel really sorry for the G4X staff as the waterford nights were great and ill still be going to the next event in waterford, just glad i happened to be in cork anyway and didnt make the trip up just for this event seeing how it panned out :-(. Please dont let this discourage anyone from making the trip to waterford for future events, as they have been great so far

ps: Even Inferno has had one or two poor turn outs, and this isnt apurely fighting game event, sh*t happens

I wasn't laughing.:pac::pac:

Seriously setup and all was great but lack of numbers killed it, apparently the next one is in UCC where a bigger turnout is expected. Whatever about closing early, there were reasons for that, format of tournaments needs to be sorted nobody wants best of 5 sf4 matches especially when people are involved in multiple simultaneous tournaments. If there was a good turnout this format would have killed your schedule in one fell swoop. Also the brackets were run wrong.

Will still attend the second one in the hoping lessons were learned, if the next one goes well it should be a lot of fun.

I'm just back in from this. It's a damn shame there wasn't more people at the event as I'd like to see more of these sorts of things succeed. However, there were numerous things from the event that I thought were badly run and need fixing before any future events.

The staff need to learn what the tournament standards are for all the events.
    The 'Double Elimination' standard that was used in the tournaments I watched/participated in was completely bonkers. In the 8 player tournaments I watched, the players who were defeated in the first stage of games were sent to the Losers Brackets, but any player defeated after them was eliminated, regardless if they were in the Winners Bracket or not.
    This is what a Double Elimination bracket should look like:

tournamentladder.png

The loser of the bracket A at the top is placed at the letter A in the Losers Bracket at the bottom, same for B, C, etc.

For more specific rules there were other issues like Kratos being selectable in the MK tournament. He's banned in every major event that I know of because he's not available on both consoles - he gives an unfair advantage against any xbox player who shows up on the day.
    Tournament standard rules should be confirmed before these sorts of events for all your games.

If you're running a 16 person tournament, don't let 11 people sign up then suddenly trim it back to an 8 person because it's easier to do the bracket.
    This should go without saying.
    I would have kicked up more of a fuss at the event when this happened to me, but it was the first tournament of the day and I assumed there'd be plenty more for me to attend.. which didn't pan out.

Stick to timetables
    Immediately there was an hour delay for all the tournaments in the hope that more people would show up, which caused delays in all further events and caused cancellations all over the shop.
    I came to the event for Street Fighter. I was taken out of the SF event I signed up to and then all following SF tournaments were canceled.
    In the end I was able to play in one Mortal Kombat tournament which was changed to Single Elimination without anyone being told as far as I could tell.

On a related note, the SF4 tournament that was run was the best of 5 rounds. From what I gather it was originally supposed to run at best of 3 rounds (the tournament standard), but was bumped to best of 5 because there was only 8 players in the tournament. This made the event run massively over time and caused further delays, resulting the cancellations of the following tournaments.

Don't close the venue early
    Yes, few people showed up and that was really unfortunate. I discussed how annoying that was with many of the staff during the event.
    However, we paid and planned for a full day. It was not a fun development to have 3 hours lopped off that day regardless of turnout.

On the other side of things, the venue was fantastic. It was really well laid out with loads of games and space available. The staff were also plenty helpful, though as I mentioned above, they need to be trained on how brackets work and the individual rules for each game.
    The staff at anime conventions often don't know the rules for games they monitor. I accept that because the event is primarily about anime. This was a competitive gaming event and the staff need to know the rules.

I didn't really enjoy much of today at all. I got a single competitive game in a title I don't even know how to play.
    I was actually looking forward to playing in the Tekken tournament I got so bored. Tekken! (That tournament was later canceled so I didn't even get to put myself through that torture.)

Yes, you got a ****ty deal on how few people turned up, but there was plenty of mistakes made that can also hopefully be sorted for the next G4X event.

VizardAnto wrote: »
    I think the reason for best of 5 was because the low turn out, to make each tourney last longer........:confused: and they have no clue how fighting game brackets run at all...nearly didn't get my game of SF after 1 loss and other problems I cba to mention :pac:

You complaining carries very little weight at this point!!:D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭VizardAnto

mackg wrote: »
    You complaining carries very little weight at this point!!:D:pac:

It's not complaining just saying for future events.All good I won TEKKEN best game ever :cool: my ass lol the guy who was running the brackets kept calling me a button masher....... :(:mad::pac: oh yeah he also wanted to disqualify me "DAT SALT" :cool:
    wtfbenson wrote: »
    If it's something people are interested in though, we could easily make it a weekly event since I think I have enough space to accomodate like 3 set ups and probably seat like 8 or 9 relatively comfortably. I apologize for hijacking the thread, it just seemed better here than opening a new thread to gauge interest.

That would be great I should be able attend weekly casuals if they happen, was tired today so didn't go after the G4X event.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

This is a fairly important point actually.
    Is G4X actually affiliated with the European Gaming League?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement