Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork All Day EGL Event

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

As much as im sticking up for the staff of g4x, if your going to do a fighting game tournsment then you need to do khow how they are run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

There's already existing FG tournaments country wide. Run properly.

Let's focus our attention there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Sairus wrote: »
    The 'Double Elimination' standard that was used in the tournaments I watched/participated in was completely bonkers. In the 8 player tournaments I watched, the players who were defeated in the first stage of games were sent to the Losers Brackets, but any player defeated after them was eliminated, regardless if they were in the Winners Bracket or not.

Ah, the Thomas House tournament format taking hold I see.

There's already existing FG tournaments country wide. Run properly.

Let's focus our attention there.

Not in Waterford, Im sure there are a bunch of Dublin players who only go to inferno, and cork players who only go to tempest and (insert region here) who only go to (insert said regions tournie here) etc etc.

As much as i love sf, real life comes first, and im pretty sure that's the same reason a lot of other players don't travel outside their region.

Waterford has some decent sf players (and MK9 is very popular) but i don't know if there is enough of us to have a dedicated scene for fighting games alone.

I can understand if ye don't want to help the staff from g4x, but for Waterford players like myself, Araforn and Astro Tuned I don't see the harm in it

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭WasterEx

The event yesterday was goodish, the setups were arranged very nicely. Obviously there were a few mistakes, etc. doubt there's any point in explaining. Anyway hopefully the next one is ran better.
    Cheers to whoever set it up and all that. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

Pros
    * Set ups were well done
    * Retro / Wii / Kinect Corner was a fun diversion
    * The price wasn't too steep
    * Staff couldn't have being nicer

Cons
    * Poor attendance ( though that wasn't the fault of anyone )
    * As mentioned earlier, improperly run tournaments
    * 5 rounds in SF4 made matches go on for too long. The match between me and Vizardanto most have gone on for 20 minutes!
    * Cancellation of tournaments is not cool, especially as some of the lads didn't get in any games as a result
    * Drinks from the in house bar were too expensive ( unless it a water and juice mix, which was free )

That all said and done, it was still a good day. I'm sure that if the G4X staff can fix the errors in running the tournaments, it will be a better experience for everyone the next time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Pros
    * Set ups were well done
    * Retro / Wii / Kinect Corner was a fun diversion
    * The price wasn't too steep
    * Staff couldn't have being nicer

Cons
    * Poor attendance ( though that wasn't the fault of anyone )
    * As mentioned earlier, improperly run tournaments
    * 5 rounds in SF4 made matches go on for too long. The match between me and Vizardanto most have gone on for 20 minutes!
    * Cancellation of tournaments is not cool, especially as some of the lads didn't get in any games as a result
    * Drinks from the in house bar were too expensive ( unless it a water and juice mix, which was free )

That all said and done, it was still a good day. I'm sure that if the G4X staff can fix the errors in running the tournaments, it will be a better experience for everyone the next time around.

I sat down to watch that game for a while, went out of the hotel, had a smoke, came back in and watched another 5ish minutes of the match, twas crazy

Why in the name of god was SF4 best of 5 rounds ?, they did this at the first event and people kicked up a fuss, so it was changed to 3 for the 2nd event which worked out fine, going back to the original incorrect format is a huge step backwards. Only Tekken should be 5 rounds because a round in Tekken can be over in the blink of an eye, all other fighting games should be 3 rounds, period.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

Yeah, that they were primarily making the event for money and not for the players enjoyment or love of the games was really evident on the day.

Never in a community organised sf tournament would you get that "ah, it's easier for us to not let you play" or "aaah, since we can't make anymore money we'll just stop all the tournaments we said we'd have".

The staff were all very nice, but most of them knew less about the different games than the people who actually played them. The format of the tournaments was prone to shifts and changes, and was ridiculous and non-standard to begin with. For example, as sairus pointed out, the switch in the second mk tourney for double to single elim. And also, in the first mk tournament, it was for some reason, double elim up to a point, and then went to single elim. The loser of the winners final was eliminated for example.

In hindsight, we should not have cancelled tempest for that. Hooray for community organised events.

Oh, despite all that: GGs to everyone I played, especially mk9 waterford person. Thanks to the staff for being nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 G4X

Hi Guys,

First off I can understand the frustration of you all that came to the Cork event and was let down by what had happened.

We did try to make the enjoyable for you all but as G4X has just become new to the gaming sector in Ireland, this was the first all day event we held. We have held past events in Waterford which received great reception from the gamers who showed up on the night and we decided to bring it out of our place of operations and into Cork.

The attendance we got wasn't great and we had to do the best with the small group we had. The fact that we don't cater for gamers is not true. We did everything on our power to make the day enjoyable and it was an eye opener for us as a company for what people want and don't want at an event. If we had run with the schedule with the numbers we had, we would have lost too much money to hold a big event in the future, but saying that, we will think long and hard and discuss what is the best way to proceed forward after this.

We do welcome any feedback you do have as we will take it all back to drawing board and see how we can work on this before we make any attempts at bringing it anywhere else in Ireland.

You can email info@game4xtra.com if you have any questions or queries and the staff will endeavour to get through all the emails you send.

• Advertisement

We cancelled Tempest?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

raah! wrote: »
    In hindsight, we should not have cancelled tempest for that. Hooray for community organised events.

Not cancelled, moved! :D It's still next week.

And I stand by that decision. I was hoping more players would show up at G4X than did, which I would then draft into Tempests. It was unfortunate for everyone involved that such low numbers turned up.
    G4X wrote: »
    You can email info@game4xtra.com if you have any questions or queries and the staff will endeavour to get through all the emails you send.
    So that's what G4X stands for! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

G4X wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

First off I can understand the frustration of you all that came to the Cork event and was let down by what had happened.

We did try to make the enjoyable for you all but as G4X has just become new to the gaming sector in Ireland, this was the first all day event we held. We have held past events in Waterford which received great reception from the gamers who showed up on the night and we decided to bring it out of our place of operations and into Cork.

The attendance we got wasn't great and we had to do the best with the small group we had. The fact that we don't cater for gamers is not true. We did everything on our power to make the day enjoyable and it was an eye opener for us as a company for what people want and don't want at an event. If we had run with the schedule with the numbers we had, we would have lost too much money to hold a big event in the future, but saying that, we will think long and hard and discuss what is the best way to proceed forward after this.

We do welcome any feedback you do have as we will take it all back to drawing board and see how we can work on this before we make any attempts at bringing it anywhere else in Ireland.

Only thing I'll say, and I didn't attend the event, is that as this is a business it should be treated as one. Tournament rules are essentially your market research. Would you open a sandwich bar without knowing how to make a basic sandwich properly?

🤪

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Hang on a second.

I've been good enough to allow you free rein to post whatever on this forum as long as it pertains to Fighting Games, but I'm not sure about multiple users doing so, especially one who's named after the company.

This isn't a shilling opportunity.

This whole thing set my antennae twitching, so I happened to have a little electronic chat with the EGL.

I found something rather interesting out:
    Hi I've just got a quick question as to whether or not G4X are affiliated with your website?

Also I would like to enquire as to the status of fighting games (SF4 etc) with that remit, specifically in the Ireland region.
    Are they, or any other company running sanctioned events in the fighting game genre in Ireland?

(I ask this as there is already a highly active and entirely separate fighting game scene in Ireland)

Thank you for your time, I hope you can help.
    Good Afternoon Sean,

They have nothing to do with us.

Currently we have no plans to run an event in Ireland, but that could change for 2012.

Many thanks for the heads up.

Glen
    Hi,

Thank you for your swift reply Glen,

Just to be clear, no sanctioned EGL events took place in Ireland over the last week?
    No tournament where points or standings towards the EGL took place?

Please forgive my ignorance on the issue, I'm not entirely familiar with your format.

Many thanks,
    Seán.
    No, no events have taken place that are associated or affiliated with us

Earlier in the thread, y'know the one titled all day EGL event, aka this one, I said:
    Isn't starcraft the only EGL game on there? I don't think SF has anything to do with it.

You replied:
    No SC2 is the only game you must pre-register for

I think what you ment to say was: "Actually none of the games are EGL, as we are not affiliated with them in any way shape or form"

I giddily await your response.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

The whole G4X-EGL-other gaming event crossover is very confusing.....

🤪

Interesting read kneecaps, I found this on their website forums clearly saying they were in some way assocaited with EGL.:confused: so there's deffinitly no denying it.
    So with Waterford event finished, G4X is now turning to other areas of Ireland to start the EGL Tour for the European Gaming League (EGL) Leaderboards.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Flanders536

Hang on a second.

I've been good enough to allow you free rein to post whatever on this forum as long as it pertains to Fighting Games, but I'm not sure about multiple users doing so, especially one who's named after the company.

This isn't a shilling opportunity.

Hi Doctor, I was unavailable to make a response to all of the reply's on this thread at the time, one of the lads wanted to let people know we were not ignoring the situation.

We are in no way trying to shill the company.
    WasterEx wrote: »
    Interesting read kneecaps, I found this on their website forums clearly saying they were in some way assocaited with EGL.confused.gif

We never stated we were associated with the ECL that hold an event in England every year. Even in what you quoted it says for our leader boards.

Our EGL as stated on our own site shows we are trying to start a community of gamers around Europe using a leader board system, the ECL do not do this.

Now onto the event itself:
    Where do I begin, Yes we made mistakes, we had replacement volunteers on the day which account for the difference in "Double Elimination" rules and the way they were run. This being my fault, I never confirmed everyone was running off the same sheet. I assumed when I should have confirmed.

We had 32 attendees for a venue which could hold 450 people, tournaments got delayed as I did not want to start tournaments with 7 people(SF) or 4people in the case of Fifa.

Things snowballed from there, with such small numbers we saw huge waiting periods when a gamer was in another tournament.

I have learned a lot from this event from the gamers on the day and the responses in this thread. We wanted to run an event for gamers by gamers, We had enough equipment for 450 people and a great schedule when 30 people showed we had a problem, I never factored in for anything less then 100 which was my mistake.

We will be re-thinking our events and re making them to take in everything that happened at the weekend and also the feed back that we are receiving here and via the email.

Out of the whole thread the only reply/comment that I completely and utterly detest and actually take offense to is:
    raah! wrote: »
    Yeah, that they were primarily making the event for money and not for the players enjoyment or love of the games was really evident on the day.

Can I ask how this was evident? We refunded money when we knew we did not have numbers to continue with tournaments. We could not run a valid tournament with 3 gamers.

Out of the 16 people who are involved, all 16 are volunteers, no-one gets a wage or makes any money from these events. I personally spoke with a lot of gamers on the day and I know it was a disappointment to all.

Regards,
    Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Wow that whole EGL thing looks extremely shady to me. Puts a very bad taste in my mouth about your events, I doubt I'll be attending any Dublin tournaments.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

You basically took the name of a very well known European gaming company and used it for yourself.

From now on all Inferno events are going to be part of MLG.*

*Majorly Lovely Gaming

• Advertisement

We never stated we were associated with the ECL that hold an event in England every year.

Weather or not you stated it, you pretty much promoted yourselfs like ye were associated with it. I'm not the only one who thought ye were associated with them either.

Can I ask how this was evident? We refunded money when we knew we did not have numbers to continue with tournaments. We could not run a valid tournament with 3 gamers.

Alright fair enough. Even though money isn't the problem here I thought I'd just point out that, when people get a refund they should get back what they paid for. Not a couple of euro after paying €15 for a full day.

Anyway I think I'll leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Flanders536

You basically took the name of a very well known European gaming company and used it for yourself.
    From now on all Inferno events are going to be part of MLG.*
    *Majorly Lovely Gaming

08-19-2011 07:45 PM - This is the date the ECL changed/re branded to the EGL, I am sure it became very well known over the last 3 months but it is not their or anyones registered trademark. The only thing they own is the logo.

http://ecl.eu/showthread.php?417-The-European-Console-League-becomes-the-European-Gaming-League

08-15-2011, 12:13 PM - This is the date we launched our EGL Leader boards and events.

Regards,
    Mark

and to think we didn't want to use a Singaporean communities name....

We've spent over 2 years building up our community.

Out in the open, clear cut and always for the community itself without ulterior motive.

I've personally spent huge amounts of my time promoting and growing this community. And the time I spent doing that is only a fraction compared to others here, some have taken on financial burdens to support it.

And then come you.

Vague, evasive, and not community driven.

You have the potential to significantly harm our community and our scene, you sully our name by our promotion of you on our website (for free no less) and you open us up to the possibility of legal action with your EGL Bull****?

You are not the EGL. That is the end of it.

We don't need to be associated with this horse****, and I certainly on a personal level want nothing to do with it.

We're the amateurs, yet we're the professional ones...

Right, I can only see this thread going one way.

I am going to lock it and wait for calmer heads to prevail.

Ok.

Flanders has asked me to post the following, in the interest of fairness I will as the last post was a fairly scathing attack.

Please note these are not my words.

This thread is done then.
    We have spent over 2 years building up our community.
    You built up an Irish gaming community and when an Irish based gaming company makes mistakes at their 1st attempt at an all day gaming event you perceives us as a threat to your community and think we have "ulterior motive
    s".

Out in the open, clear cut and always for the community itself without ulterior motive.

I've personally spent huge amounts of my time promoting and growing this community. And the time I spent doing that is only a fraction compared to others here, some have taken on financial burdens to support it.
    Do you think its free to hire an event for 450 people, purchasing 16 32" TV's 10 Xbox's 10 PS3's, providing €310 prizes €100 in refunds for 30 people paying €15 in. That's €40 left over to pay for Travel costs for all our volunteers, Venue, food/drinks, advertisement, printing, clothing, equipment, games, cabling.

And then come you.

Vague, evasive, and not community driven.
    At every point in our events and beta testing we have asked and relied on the feedback from the gaming community.

You have the potential to significantly harm our community and our scene,
    As I said to the mods originally if they wish I will no longer let anyone on boards know times/dates for any future events we hold as tjhat is all I have been doing.
    you sully our name by our promotion of you on our website (for free no less)
    How have we done this, I believe so far the biggest people to be sullied is G4X and our events. I am unsure how the boards community has been hurt by this.
    and you open us up to the possibility of legal action with your EGL Bull****?
    Can I ask how? Boards.ie has no ties or links to our company in anyway shape or form.

You are not the EGL. That is the end of it.
    Yes we are, so because we as asmaller company, who ran with EGL first we should just bow out of the way of a bigger company who use the same name 3-4 days later?

We don't need to be associated with this horse****, and I certainly on a personal level want nothing to do with it.
    You dont have to have anything to do with us or attend our events, We stated from the first day we are a new company we are learning we take every piece of advise we get and put it to use, our first attempt at an all day event was not successful, we will learn from the mistakes we made. I dont think you can call what we are trying to do "horse****". we ahve run 3 events so far 2 evening events which were a great success with lessons learned. 1 all day event not a success but lessons learned and we will continue.
    We're the amateurs, yet we're the professional ones

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement