Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internal Position - Contract

Options
  • 15-10-2011 8:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all , long time lurker first time poster..

There a number of internal positions being advertised in our company. Some are for 6/12 month contracts.

Have been full time there for >6 years.

Manager advised that HR are saying that if we apply & are accepted we lose our full time status & go onto the contract.

Is this legal, surely this is a disincentive to workers ?

We went through transfer of Undertaking last year & new co, is trying to reduce headcount.

had a search here & couldnt find owt.. ,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Hi all , long time lurker first time poster..

There a number of internal positions being advertised in our company. Some are for 6/12 month contracts.

Have been full time there for >6 years.

Manager advised that HR are saying that if we apply & are accepted we lose our full time status & go onto the contract.

Is this legal, surely this is a disincentive to workers ?

We went through transfer of Undertaking last year & new co, is trying to reduce headcount.

had a search here & couldnt find owt.. ,

I think it's fairly standard procedure when applying for a promotion, I know it's the case where I work too. If you get the ob and apply yourself, there's no need to worry. You might be able to fall back on your previous contract/job if it doesn't work out, but I'm not too sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

L'prof wrote: »
    I think it's fairly standard procedure when applying for a promotion, I know it's the case where I work too. If you get the ob and apply yourself, there's no need to worry. You might be able to fall back on your previous contract/job if it doesn't work out, but I'm not too sure.

If you get a promotion, then yes, you are back on probation again. And if that doesn't work out, there is no requirement on the company to keep you (De-motivation to apply for promotions is yes another of the unintended consequences of the probation laws, but that's another debate.)

However this is slightly different.

What you could do is

1) Apply

2) If you are offered the position, start to negotiate. Can you be placed on 6/12 months leave-of-absence from your current job? Can they put something else in place that will guarantee you work when the contract is over? Can they offer to pay you so much more that you can save a buffer to allow yourself, say, three months off work at the end while you find a new job. Etc.

3) If you cannot negotiate a satisfactory option, regretfully decline their offer.

Remember, applying for something isn't committing to it. It's just expressing your interest.

If the company want you in one of these roles, they will find a way to make it happen. If they don't, then stay where you are for now and good luck with the job hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

cheers for that Mary .. worth considering

Advertisement