Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The volume of rain per minute while rain is falling?

Options
  • 15-10-2011 8:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Does anyone know if there any figures for the volume of rain that falls per minute while rain is actually falling in the UK, eg for average rain, light rain, heavy rain, or torrential rain?

I am not interested in the figures for the rain per day or year etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Rainfall is generally measured in mm/hour.

Mist can be less than 0.2mm/hr, while torrential downpours can be up to 15 or 20mm/hr.

No average figure really, but in or around 1-5mm/hr would be common enough I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

During the heavy thundery rain it can go way over 100mm/hr for short periods, rain falls at differerent rates so the average over an hour is usually not that high. Per minute is not that much in most cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭blast06

Quick calculation .... by my reckoning, 1 inch of rain over the entire landmass of Ireland would equal ~2,110,775,000 metres cubed of water equals approx 3 hours of average rate of flow in the Amazon equals approx 8 months of average flow rate of Shannon (which shocked me!) and .... wait for it .... enough water to fill Croke Park (presuming a stand at Hill 16 end) roughly 2,500 times !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

WE get 30-40 inches in Ireland per year depending on location!

So if we work on that amount for the UK 1 metre per year .

thats 2.74mm per day
    .1142 mm per hour
    Or .002 mm per minute

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 wether

Thanks thetonynator and Min, those are the type of figures I was interested in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

This microwave image from this morning shows the liquid water content of the cloud band responsible for today's active cold front. Up to 300 g/m³.

178391.png

Advertisement