Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for advice on new business

Options
  • 15-10-2011 10:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi guys,

I'm just looking for some advice on a business start up I'm considering at the moment. I'm thinking of setting up a beauty salon in ennis, co. clare and am just trying to put some figures together. I was wondering if anyone would know roughly what I'd be paying yearly for rates and insurance? Business would be based in a 3 bedroom terraced house near the town centre. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Kelly

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭AndyJB

kelly1985 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'm just looking for some advice on a business start up I'm considering at the moment. I'm thinking of setting up a beauty salon in ennis, co. clare and am just trying to put some figures together. I was wondering if anyone would know roughly what I'd be paying yearly for rates and insurance? Business would be based in a 3 bedroom terraced house near the town centre. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Kelly

Hi Kelly,
    Contact the local council rates office and a local insurance broker, as both will probably vary from other parts of the country.

You mention using a 3 bedroom house near the town. Is it currently a business premises or is it a home? You will most likely need planning permission to use it as a beauty salon. I believe the term is "change of use". You will incur a number of fees with a planning application and you may also require fire cert.

Speak with the local council planning office they'll have a check list of do's and don'ts.

A simpler option would be to remain mobile and visit clients at home. Drop into the Old Ground in town and the other hotels around the area and get yourself known. The potential for work from wedding parties must be good.

How about offering staff a makeover night to keep you at the top of their contact list?

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

AndyJB wrote: »

A simpler option would be to remain mobile and visit clients at home. Drop into the Old Ground in town and the other hotels around the area and get yourself known. The potential for work from wedding parties must be good.

How about offering staff a makeover night to keep you at the top of their contact list?

Best of luck.

Excellent advice. Consider operating as a mobile service for 3 or 4 months. Then when you have 25-30 regular customers then look to get a business premises. For those who prefer the in-home service then continue to do that in the evenings. Others will follow you to the salon, where prices will be naturally higher to cover your increased overheads.

Do it this way gives you the opportunity to road test the idea of a salon without the outlay of decking out a premises (quite expensive) and signing into a 12 month lease, paying rates to the council, ESB, fire certs, public liability insurance, and so on.

Also the idea about asking hotels to set up there is a good way of getting your name about. Hotels who don't have spas/salons might rent you a room to operate. Hen nights and weddings could also be lucrative too.

Best of luck with it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kelly1985

OK guys, thanks for the advice, some good ideas there!

Advertisement