Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

5.1 Surround Speakers-Aldi €39.99

• 15-10-2011 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭

Just wondering if these could be any good. I don't know much about sound systems but for €40 ya cant really go too far wrong can ya?

Speakers

What connections do these systems usually have? 3.5 mm jack? Them red/white cables? I doubt it has a HDMI connection anyway..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭earpiece

"for €40 ya cant really go too far wrong can ya?"

Your answer is in the price.....think smart:
    a) probably made in China by someone earning 50 cent a day
    b) manufacturer makes €5 , cost €10 in components & packaging
    c) shipping cost maybe €2
    d) Aldi mark-up €15
    e) VAT approx. €7

et voila.... you have a piece of junk!

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

earpiece wrote: »

d) Aldi mark-up €15
    e) VAT approx. €7

HA! I'll avoid it this time so. Looked fairly tempting though I must say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭earpiece

Yeah low prices are always the attraction.
    As a buisness owner, I always tend to look at products as the sum of their parts.
    Sadly we've all been spending too much money on junk in the past few years, hence, manufaturers keep produceing it....... time to bring back quality, and along will come jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,501 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

earpiece wrote: »

d) Aldi mark-up €15
    e) VAT approx. €7

You are 100% correct, a system costing €100 would probably be infinitely better than the Aldi offering. The fixed costs that you quote will eat up all of the money so the material you are getting is basically rubbish.

As with wine there is a level of price below which you should not go and €40 is just way too cheap for a speaker system.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

Thanks for the help lads. Didn't really have a clue about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

coylemj wrote: »
    ...a system costing €100 would probably be infinitely better than the Aldi offering.

I disagree, I reckon a €100 system is still junk, and you are more than likely getting a similar cheap system as the Aldi one, but maybe with a brand name attached. and that is what you'll be paying your extra €60 notes for.

If low end sound costs and quality are your thing, I say go ahead and buy the cheapo system, it may tempt you further down the line into spending bigger sums on amps, subs and surround speakers. the cheap system could always be relegated to a bedroom system.

The cheapo sound system won't shake the room like an expensive system, but it will more than likely be a huge improvement on the the sound coming straight from the TV.

Advertisement