Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got new job, they want p45

Options
  • 15-10-2011 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, just a quick question.

I just got offered a job there and I've been asked to bring in my p45 when I start. I've been unemployed since March 2010 when my last place of business closed down. I finally found the remains of a p45 form there. I have Part 2 (pink) and Part 3 (green) but no first page. I'm not sure who has the first page. Would Social Welfare have taken it when I went in to sign on? And more importantly, are the two parts I have enough to give to my new employer or do I need a "new" one?

Thanks for the help.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

I could be wrong, but I don't think they need a P45 if you haven't been working this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Download a form 12A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Or get your new employers ref no., and call it over to Revenue, along with your PPSN. You don't need a 12A then.

I did this, and it was a very quick and smooth transaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Any P45 issued prior to 01 Jan of the current tax year is of no use to your employer. As ABjaninCork says, ring Revenue with new employers Reg Number and your details and get tax credit cert issued directly to new employer. Even faster, I've found, is ask your new employer to ring revenue employers section and ask them to have you put on as registered with them - the new employer just needs your PPS number to do this. This is fastest way and would usually ensure you won't end up on emergency tax. I usually do this for new employees.

To your original question regarding the parts of the P45. Part 1 (white part) is retained by the former employer and sent directly to revenue when you are issued with Parts 2 and 3.

congrats on job

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

..Even faster, I've found, is ask your new employer to ring revenue employers section and ask them to have you put on as registered with them - the new employer just needs your PPS number to do this. This is fastest way and would usually ensure you won't end up on emergency tax. I usually do this for new employees.

OP, even if you go down this route, make sure you ring revenue yourself and let them know that you haven't been working since 1 Jan this year. Otherwise they will "week 1" you, and you won't get the benefit of tax credits left over from earlier in the year.

And for future reference, the form P46 is specifically for cases like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

Thanks so much you've all been really helpful :) I'll give the new employers a call on Monday and get the details and then give Revenue a call. I'm sure you've saved me weeks of emergency tax and other such hassles!

Advertisement