Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HELP!! Assignment on Photography

• 15-10-2011 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi guys, I'm new to this boards.ie but would really appreciate your help on a photography assignment for college.

My assignment is to take 10 photographs each week up until xmas. The theme in which I have is PARTNERSHIPS. Also if there is a person in the picture I need them to sign a model release form and a witness to sign also as it is for an organisation called KADE.

I would greatly appreciate any ideas you have as my own ideas are pretty limited.

thanks again. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

That is quite a lot of photographs! How about shop names that incorporate two or more names? Shop fronts can be quite interesting and some of the names are very inventive. Then maybe foods that go together well ie fish n chips etc. Just think of anything "goes together" the possibilities are endless. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Gill_Murph

Rainbowsend, thank you so much for your suggestions. I never even thought of those kind ideas myself. :)

And in regards to the number of pictures a week... Yes it is very time consuming especially for someone who is doing a business course in an I.T but anything to pass the semester.

I would much appreciate any other suggestions you may have.

Thanks again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

other suggestions .... s€x ... couples.

male and female..... young and old.... male and male....female and female

going back to foodstuffs .... bangers and mash, apples and oranges.....

toothbrush and toothpaste

just a couple of suggestions.

PCPhoto thanks so much for your suggestions. They are all very much appreciated.

:D

Where are you doing this course?

If my memory is accurate, you're at least the third person in a short enough period of time to say you're doing a course and they threw ten photos a week for three months at you on top of your course.

Some college out there is building up a serious amount of stock images to resell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SinisterDexter

Yes they are the third.... I just wasn't bothered to say so.
    Interesting idea about the stock photos.

Q for ye people. If Gill gets the model release signed isn't that for Gill and not the college?

Anyway, partnerships, I like what people are thinking of....so:
    Marks & Spencers, Peter Mark (yes it was 2 guys who set it up), Gill & Macmillian, any solicitors.... though all them would put a stop to the 'stock images' thing!

I really didn't think about it that way! [/sarcasm]

Good luck by the way!

Q for ye people. If Gill gets the model release signed isn't that for Gill and not the college?

I don't think it's Gill or the college; it's just for that photo (or series of photos)?

If it only meant the photographer could use/sell the image then stock sites wouldn't be able to operate at all, would they?

I just find it very underhanded by the college to clearly be getting peple to go out taking photographs that have no interest in doing so, in what must be an attempt ot profit off their work.

KKV I only put this up to get suggestions for my project but I suppose your right on the whole stock images to resell. We do have to send pictures off to the organisation KADE who are a not-for-profit business. But I do agree with you, but we haven't signed any photo release forms yet so I shall keep that in mind when I do.

and to SinisterDexter Thanks so much for all your suggestions. :) They are a huge help to my assignment! :)

After all, all i want is to pass the semester. And hopefully I may grow to love photography along the way. :) But I think its just so excessive and especially for a Business course that I'm not as into it as i initially thought I would be.

But thanks again for all the replies. I very much appreciate it! :)

who is telling you to send your pictures off to KADE ?

are you paying for this ?

Something sounds really fishy as a quick google shows KADE selling photopacks of images taken by students - this could be a serious issue.

Thank you PCPhoto
    So I went off and Googled it and came up with this youtube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1Ypf0GApdE

So the teacher is making the students take photos to pass the semester which are then being sold! What's wrong with this picture? (What's right with it?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

oh for shame .... they printed the images on Gloss paper !!

Cant believe these students don't realise they are being taken advantage of - someone else is making money from your images.

wonder who's making the money - a lecturer...the college.... or KADE ? 'cos it ain't the students.

Corkbah wrote: »
    Cant believe these students don't realise they are being taken advantage of - someone else is making money from your images.
    wonder who's making the money - a lecturer...the college.... or KADE ? 'cos it ain't the students.

If t_dun, MiissTL or Gill_Murph wonder why we are being so moany about the way/reasons you are being asked to provide photos it is for two reasons:
    1) You are being used. We don't think that is right. Do you?
    2) By you supplying these images for free you ARE stopping the chance for another photographer to get the job/money. I do not think KADE will pay a photographer, but Hibernian College (was that the one mentioned in the YouTube) may pay a photographer seen as they are paying KADE.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭MiissTL

If t_dun, MiissTL or Gill_Murph wonder why we are being so moany about the way/reasons you are being asked to provide photos it is for two reasons:
    1) You are being used. We don't think that is right. Do you?
    2) By you supplying these images for free you ARE stopping the chance for another photographer to get the job/money. I do not think KADE will pay a photographer, but Hibernian College (was that the one mentioned in the YouTube) may pay a photographer seen as they are paying KADE.

Is KADE not a voluntary group? I'm sure that it costs them alot to produce the cds and that is why they charge for them?

MiissTL wrote: »
    Is KADE not a voluntary group? I'm sure that it costs them alot to produce the cds and that is why they charge for them?

I don't want to sound condesending but.....

KADE has staff, board members and is in the business of making money.

KADE (Kerry Action for Development Education) - take images from you and other class members and sell it as a package, they do not do this for the good of their health - they do it for money !!!

I don't know if your lecturer or the college receives money from KADE in exchange for your work .... but KADE sell the stuff you give them.

if I tell you I'm collecting for charity (poor little kids in some foreign country) can I have your bank account details or can you just lodge money into my account.

Unfortunately for you and your classmates we here on the Boards photo forum do not like when businesses or individuals take advantage of those that do not know any better - you should refuse to give images to KADE and see what your lecturer says - they cant fail you and if they do I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who will be angry at this - the NUJ would be very interested in this.

NUJ - National Union of Journalists - represent photographers and fight for their rights.

PCPhoto wrote: »
    I don't want to sound condesending but.....

KADE has staff, board members and is in the business of making money.

KADE (Kerry Action for Development Education) - take images from you and other class members and sell it as a package, they do not do this for the good of their health - they do it for money !!!

I don't know if your lecturer or the college receives money from KADE in exchange for your work .... but KADE sell the stuff you give them.

if I tell you I'm collecting for charity (poor little kids in some foreign country) can I have your bank account details or can you just lodge money into my account.

Unfortunately for you and your classmates we here on the Boards photo forum do not like when businesses or individuals take advantage of those that do not know any better - you should refuse to give images to KADE and see what your lecturer says - they cant fail you and if they do I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who will be angry at this - the NUJ would be very interested in this.

NUJ - National Union of Journalists - represent photographers and fight for their rights.

I see the point you are making, however unlike you, I am counting on passing this module in order to pass the year.

I'm sure that if this was a big issue someone with the time, or indeed, someone who cares would have kicked up a fuss about it already.

Luckily for me I am not a photographer and therefore I really don't care who "sells" my photos. They're boring and not that great anyway!

I really didn't think that this would generate so much interest. :eek:

MiissTL wrote: »
    I see the point you are making, however unlike you, I am counting on passing this module in order to pass the year.

I'm sure that if this was a big issue someone with the time, or indeed, someone who cares would have kicked up a fuss about it already.

Luckily for me I am not a photographer and therefore I really don't care who "sells" my photos. They're boring and not that great anyway!

I really didn't think that this would generate so much interest. :eek:

you still don't get it ! ... they cannot fail you if you refuse to give your images to a company or business - if you are studying a college course then you should be giving the coursework to the lecturer (and no need for model release forms unless you intend on using the images commercially)

actually thinking about my last sentence - the KADE people could find themselves in a bit of trouble if someone who you take a photo of suddenly finds themselves being used as an advertising campaign - granted they would have model release forms but they would be getting them signed on the pretence that they are for a college course.

I'm going off my own idea - no matter how valuable or boring you reckon your images are they could be worth hundreds/thousands to someone.

I was only talking to another photographer earlier today about images that have made money - he was telling me that he made about 20-30K from one image over a period of 10years, I was telling him that one of the papers used an image of mine and in the last 2months it has made me over 2K .... the most I have made from an image is 2.5K. ..... my images were nothing special.... one was a 15yr old boy in his soccer gear and the other was a 65yr old lady.

you may think your work is useless or boring - but someone somewhere in the world may be looking for that exact image.

you still don't get it ! ... they cannot fail you if you refuse to give your images to a company or business - if you are studying a college course then you should be giving the coursework to the lecturer (and no need for model release forms unless you intend on using the images commercially)

actually thinking about my last sentence - the KADE people could find themselves in a bit of trouble if someone who you take a photo of suddenly finds themselves being used as an advertising campaign - granted they would have model release forms but they would be getting them signed on the pretence that they are for a college course.

I'm going off my own idea - no matter how valuable or boring you reckon your images are they could be worth hundreds/thousands to someone.

I was only talking to another photographer earlier today about images that have made money - he was telling me that he made about 20-30K from one image over a period of 10years, I was telling him that one of the papers used an image of mine and in the last 2months it has made me over 2K .... the most I have made from an image is 2.5K. ..... my images were nothing special.... one was a 15yr old boy in his soccer gear and the other was a 65yr old lady.

you may think your work is useless or boring - but someone somewhere in the world may be looking for that exact image.

Ok if I decide to risk getting thrown out of my course for being unco-operative. I promise I will refuse to give my images away! But until that happens I'm afraid I am just going to conform like everybody else.

I do understand your point now though and in fairness to you, you are right! :rolleyes:

if you want give me a PM with your lecturer's contact details and I will ask him/her myself why they are taking advantage of students - who do not know their rights !

I will also ask the KADE people if they are aware of how they obtain their stock images and ask if any of the money goes back to the photographers !

if you want give me a PM with your lecturer's contact details and I will ask him/her myself why they are taking advantage of students - who do not know their rights !

I will also ask the KADE people if they are aware of how they obtain their stock images and ask if any of the money goes back to the photographers !

Hmmmm tempting.. but no way.

Thanks for all your interest!:)

Advertisement