Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

newborn feeding issues

Options
  • 15-10-2011 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi all hoping i can get some advice. Im a first time mum my baby girl was born at 35 weeks she is now 4 weeks old (full term this week) she weighs nearly 71/2 pound now was born 6 pound 4oz. She was in special care unit for a week after she was born as she was not taking her bottle. Now we got into routine with the hospital of feeding her every 4 hours. At the moment she has been taking 3 oz every 4 hours sometimes waking on her own others we have to wake her. Yesterday she was taking 4 oz every 4 hours now this morning did her night feed at 330 am she took 3 oz and then pucked up after it. I put her down after a while but she was then wide awake she eventually fell asleep. Fed her again then at 730 she took 3 oz didnt get sick and went back asleep. Fed her again at 1230 it was a fight to get 3 oz into her.
    My questions are -
    How much should she be taking at this age and how often?
    Should i wake her for feeding? Every 4 hours? She does not cry for feeding at all.
    Sorry for the long post im just a bit confused as to how much she should be getting and how often ( she is eating nutriprem 2 ) as per hospital advice as she was premie
    any advice would be appreciated
    worried first time mum

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

relax.
    It's so stressfull when you first have a little baby. So much conflicting advice, so much responsibility and worry. They are so precious.
    Follow your baby. Just like us, they can be tired, hungry, wakeful, not hungry...
    Weigh your baby once a week, as long as there is no vomiting, refusing to eat or very runny nappies, relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 katyt

Hiya, Congratulations on your new babe! I'm glad she is doing so well. I would keep her on a 4 hour feed as advised by the hospital. Babies thrive on routine and regular feeds are important.
    However, she can decide how much she wants to take at a feed, and I wouldn't worry too much if she doesn't take as much as you would like.
    I also wouldn't be concerned that she does not wake for her feeds, small babies like this often do not wake themselves. Later she will shriek the place down!
    Don't be afraid to reach out for help - we were all nervous wrecks for the first few weeks! Its great to get some reassurance. There are lots of websites for new mums - so hunt round for the best one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

As the other posters said , relax ....your daughter will let you know for sure if she is hungry

Make sure the nappies are wet , and that number 2's are happening....

If your daughter is thriving , ie putting on weight then you are doing a good job. Enjoy her !!!!

Congratulations BTW

• Registered Users Posts: 28 cookie2010

Thanks for ur replys it id nerve wrecking haha but she is feeding and nappies and number 2s are happening so guess im worrying for nothing :-)

Advertisement