Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

manafana wrote: »
    cycled to rathmines yesterday along canal anyone else notice how filthy bike lane is for most the route, destroy my clothes and bicyle was the worst its ever been after a ride.

Yeah, dunno what's going on. 2 bikes completely filthy, I'm taking an alternate route to work tomorrow...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Yeah, dunno what's going on. 2 bikes completely filthy, I'm taking an alternate route to work tomorrow...

There has been some canal drainage and dredging over the last few weeks. Possibly some crap from plant being moved in and out?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

yeah some of work being done is probably causing it, likely council will clean it up at some stage as its one of busiest cycling routes in dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Super Freak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Took part in my first bit of competitive cycling today on an exercise bike in the gym, 15km time trial. I'm leading by 11 seconds with a time of 24:34 at the moment, but everyone gets two more attempts. There's some extraordinarily fit guys I'm up against, but I'm the only regular cyclist :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Jean Byrne has jingle bells jangling from between her breasts - I sh1t you not.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

ROK ON wrote: »
    Jean Byrne has jingle bells jangling from between her breasts - I sh1t you not.
    I did not know who this Jean Byrne lady was, but upon googling her just now I feel compelled to ask you where I can see this for myself?

She read the weather forecast after the 9pm news.
    Given her cult status I wonder does she sometimes wear stuff for a laugh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭3102derek

yer man looks like AWEC's avator:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

^^^^ It's known as "snedging" in Cork.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

^^^^ It's known as "snedging" in Cork.

That popular in Cork they have their own word for it. Hmmm...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

smacl wrote: »
    That popular in Cork they have their own word for it. Hmmm...

Was thinking the same!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Super Freak

Yer man would be a "Snedger" then.....:(

Watching the documentary on Radharc on rte. They have commentary from Jim Sheridan - jaysus but he looks and sounds remarkably like Liam Brady. They must be from a similar area in Dublin - but I wonder are they related?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭le petit braquet

ROK ON wrote: »
    Watching the documentary on Radharc on rte. They have commentary from Jim Sheridan - jaysus but he looks and sounds remarkably like Liam Brady. They must be from a similar area in Dublin - but I wonder are they related?

Liam Brady grew up in Whitehall and Sheridan is from Sheriiff Street. I went to school with a guy whose sister was Brady's teenage girlfriend. He was forever banging on about how great a player he would be and how right he was! I was one of those privileged to see his international debut in the famous 3-0 win over the USSR in Dalymount in 1974.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Who on earth in Bicycle Line's marketing department reasoned that "Thunder Knickers" would be a good name for a product?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

doozerie wrote: »
    Who on earth in Bicycle Line's marketing department reasoned that "Thunder Knickers" would be a good name for a product?

Michelle from marketing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

Cinelli '3D' paint

Cinelli Strato

phpw1jELXAM.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

AIR-AUSSIE wrote: »
    Cinelli '3D' paint

I'd buy that for the "mega head" decal alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭N64

Anybody find the roads particularly bad this morning? I was cycling to my workplace and as I was turning at a roundabout, the bike wheels lost traction and the bike to slid to one side :o Fair play to the guy who got out of his car to ask if I was alright though :)

I was talking to a few other people who commute by bike and a fair few of them fell off as well (even one who is very experienced at cycling . )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

N64 wrote: »
    Anybody find the roads particularly bad this morning? I was cycling to my workplace and as I was turning at a roundabout, the bike wheels lost traction and the bike to slid to one side :o Fair play to the guy who got out of his car to ask if I was alright though :)

I was talking to a few other people who commute by bike and a fair few of them fell off as well (even one who is very experienced at cycling . )

They weren't great to be honest, dicey enough in the car at 7am and still bad enough in patches at 11am.

im retiring the bike for now, plus the salt doesnt do much good for the bike either unless you clean it off straight away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭lennymc

U know its cold when your wearing winter gear on the turbo.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

aldi irish mature cheddar has a UK mark on it extra mature newmarket cheddar has a IE mark weird ......

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    Michelle from marketing.

That's just so like her. Tut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

That's just so like her. Tut.

Yea, it was her first project that she was in charge of. It was also her last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

N64 wrote: »

A brief shower at 4 am this morning wet some very cold roads which promptly froze to that glassy sheen...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

121130195525822_95_000_apx_470_.jpg

Tommy Voekler has a road named after him in Chantonnay.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    Yea, it was her first project that she was in charge of. It was also her last.

Pity. Her plans for unleashing "Chunder Pants" on the world were, er, innovative. Now the world will have to struggle on without.

• Advertisement

aldi irish mature cheddar has a UK mark on it extra mature newmarket cheddar has a IE mark weird ......

big issue with some of this, clearly not newmarket cheddar ubt like belgium chocolates name is used.

The milk thing is funny I meet with one of northern Irelands largest producers of Milk onto the market. The NI mark tells you where milk was finished, but from looking at his records over 90% of his milk was sourced from the South, so an IE mark is no guarantee that its Irish raised purely that its slaughtered or finished in ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

121130195525822_95_000_apx_470_.jpg

Tommy Voekler has a road named after him in Chantonnay.

A "cycle route" to be exact!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

cdaly_ wrote: »
    A brief shower at 4 am this morning
    ...for a minute there I thought you had quick showers at 4am. I was thinking "hardy man".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Inner rear derilleur cable on my road bike gave up the ghost about a month ago, and took out the outer cable in the process. Finally built up the courage to change it yesterday, deciding to change all the inner and outer, gear and brake cables while I had the bar tape off....in hindsight, I don't know what I was worried about! Piece of p1ss! I still maintain that the hardest part of building a bike is putting the bartape on neatly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

colm_gti wrote: »
    Inner rear derilleur cable on my road bike gave up the ghost about a month ago, and took out the outer cable in the process. Finally built up the courage to change it yesterday, deciding to change all the inner and outer, gear and brake cables while I had the bar tape off....in hindsight, I don't know what I was worried about! Piece of p1ss! I still maintain that the hardest part of building a bike is putting the bartape on neatly!

What kind of funky RD do you have that requires two cables: an inner and an outer one? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Y'know that dog who snaps at your heels down that country lane?

Well, prepare for a whole new world of pain...

http://news.sky.com/story/1021385/rescue-dogs-taught-how-to-drive-a-car

Y'know that dog who snaps at your heels down that country lane?

Well, prepare for a whole new world of pain...

http://news.sky.com/story/1021385/rescue-dogs-taught-how-to-drive-a-car
    However, the animal trainer says things did not always go smoothly when the dogs got into the real car.

"A couple of days ago the car was going too fast, the trainer nearly got run over," he said.

SMIDSY, doggy style. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Doggone it...missed that opportunity :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

When you get rear-ended?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭buffalo

New report states obvious (to cyclists), but is quite good reading: http://www.ctc.org.uk/big-apple-takes-bite-out-of-streets
    Many of the hostile, 5+ lane wide, network of north-south avenues on Manhattan have been transformed, and high quality, wide cycle lanes installed. Removing capacity for motor traffic has resulted in massively reduced casualties, while the improvement to public space has, in some cases, led to improvements in the local economy.

9th Avenue's new design has resulted in:

a 58% decrease in injuries to all street users
    a 49% increase in retail sales

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/post/82097779

They are doing it the wrong way. Beasty should get a naked photo on here and see how fast we can gather 10k to get rid of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

531763_10151277903658744_1957038640_n.jpg

Ritte?....you mean Bitte!!!!

EDIT: What's the difference between the two? One is a bit high maintenance, looks good between your legs and would give you hours of endless pleasure.....the other is a girl.

As the weekend looms I just remembered that I forgot to swap the saddle on my winter bike, the existing saddle has been causing me discomfort recently. Boooo!

Then I remembered that my daughter administered an impressive semi-jumping/semi-flying headbutt to my crotch a few days back. Her accuracy was impeccable. I dropped to the traditional "I'm… Bleedin'… Dyin'...'" crouch, and spent several minutes breathing slowly and deeply and trying hard to find my happy place. That reset my pain threshold nicely, the existing saddle no longer poses any fear for me now. Yaaaayyy! …I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Took pity on a forlorn looking young Portuguese chap with a punctured rear wheel in Fairview Park this morning. However, I fear my tube is not long for this world as I could see through bits of his tyre. He swore he would replace it but I somehow doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

• Advertisement

AzTdLHKCIAAhfB5.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,293 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Student claims they did not plagarise.
    I wrote down the websites for the 3 websites they copied and pasted from. Swears to my face, that they did not.
    I point out the change in font, background colour and font size, precisely where the copied text is (like a big neon sign saying "hey, I copied this and was to stupid to even re format it"), even though the language was enough to denote it was taken from someone else.
    Asks me to sit down and show them the website, as they don't believe me.
    They presumed because it was submitted by hand, I would not be able to check for plagarism.
    This is one better/worse than the student who last year told me it wasn't plagarism because they retyped it word for word rather than copied and pasted :eek:

Sometimes I am afraid for the future.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Student claims they did not plagarise.
    I wrote down the websites for the 3 websites they copied and pasted from. Swears to my face, that they did not.
    I point out the change in font, background colour and font size, precisely where the copied text is (like a big neon sign saying "hey, I copied this and was to stupid to even re format it"), even though the language was enough to denote it was taken from someone else.
    Asks me to sit down and show them the website, as they don't believe me.
    They presumed because it was submitted by hand, I would not be able to check for plagarism.
    This is one better/worse than the student who last year told me it wasn't plagarism because they retyped it word for word rather than copied and pasted :eek:

Sometimes I am afraid for the future.

That's horrific. Everyone needs to know how to plagiarise well.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Dónal wrote: »
    That's horrific. Everyone needs to know how to plagiarise well.

Indeed. We pressurize kids to learn ever more subjects by rote through primary and secondary school, you'd wonder if it is the smart ones that master cut & paste. In computing, I find the best programmers are the lazy ones ;)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I know a few people who teach at third level and its mad to hear how much plagiarism goes on, especially among first years. I think the thing that always surprises me the most is how many of those caught find it difficult to conceive that there's something wrong with it.

I suspect uncovering plagiarists is like spotting re-regs for Boards mods. They always think that there's some super sleuthing involved, but really you spot it a mile off. The writing style is always the giveaway.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement