Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭buffalo

I keep reading the back page of the Sunday Times thinking I'm getting Winner's Dinners, but as soon as I hit the first nonsensical outrageous statement, I realise it's Jeremy Clarkson.

What I can't understand is why I then keep reading. 'I have a bicycle that I use for short distances of up to 100 metres... when I ride it I have a sign on the back of my jacket that says, "Motorists. Thank you for letting me use your roads."'

So I thought I'd share it, so I'm not the only one spending my Sunday morning rolling my eyes. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭rollingscone

buffalo wrote: »
    I keep reading the back page of the Sunday Times thinking I'm getting Winner's Dinners, but as soon as I hit the first nonsensical outrageous statement, I realise it's Jeremy Clarkson.

What I can't understand is why I then keep reading. 'I have a bicycle that I use for short distances of up to 100 metres... when I ride it I have a sign on the back of my jacket that says, "Motorists. Thank you for letting me use your roads."'

So I thought I'd share it, so I'm not the only one spending my Sunday morning rolling my eyes. :rolleyes:

That's preposterous. There's no way Jeremy Clarkson could manage a 100 metre cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

Am I the only one around here who isn't a coffee obsessive?

As far as I'm concerned there are two reasons to drink coffee.

A) It's 6am and you're 400km into an audax/idiotspin and you need to stay awake until 8am.

B) There's an attractive waitress and you can't think of any other excuse for being in the cafe.

tea only for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Yesterday morning I saw a big bunch of riders with an orange club kit leave from the top of Slade valley, near the golf entrance. Does anyone know which club is that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

manafana wrote: »
    tea only for me

Must say I'm coming around to the whole tea thing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

ror_74 wrote: »
    Must say I'm coming around to the whole tea thing.

While I drink a fair bit of tea, I haven't ever lusted after, or even had a strong desire for, a nice cup of tea. It doesn't really fall into the same category of beverage as a good coffee, a cold beer on a hot day, or a single malt whiskey on a cold one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Yesterday morning I saw a big bunch of riders with an orange club kit leave from the top of Slade valley, near the golf entrance. Does anyone know which club is that?

Euskaltel-Euskadi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Had my last ever day in my current job today, emotional commute home.

Next 3 months off, then back to the grindstone. Bring on the tanlines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Am I the only one around here who isn't a coffee obsessive?

As far as I'm concerned there are two reasons to drink coffee.

A) It's 6am and you're 400km into an audax/idiotspin and you need to stay awake until 8am.

B) There's an attractive waitress and you can't think of any other excuse for being in the cafe.

Nothing nicer than looking forward to a good cup of loose leaf tea while on a long spin. With a slice of cake.

Not sold of the coffee thing, but sure, whatever suits yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

smacl wrote: »
    While I drink a fair bit of tea, I haven't ever lusted after, or even had a strong desire for, a nice cup of tea. It doesn't really fall into the same category of beverage as a good coffee, a cold beer on a hot day, or a single malt whiskey on a cold one.

I'm finding I look forward to tea and sambos after a long cycle. Although I'd never have the same longing for either as I would for a fresh espresso and croissant, or pain au chocolate - just in different context I suppose.

A cold beer on a warm day effectively means abstinence :pac: ( unless you're on holiday )

Tea though, has much more variety than I thought, what with breakfast teas and all that sort of thing. Earl grey is pretty tasty. Coffee is increasingly the fuel for completing meaningless tasks in offices all over the world. With tea, you might actually do something useful. Or at least not be deluded you're doing something useful.

• Advertisement

ror_74 wrote: »
    I'm finding I look forward to tea and sambos after a long cycle. Although I'd never have the same longing for either as I would for a fresh espresso and croissant, or pain au chocolate - just in different context I suppose.

A cold beer on a warm day effectively means abstinence :pac: ( unless you're on holiday )

Tea though, has much more variety than I thought, what with breakfast teas and all that sort of thing. Earl grey is pretty tasty. Coffee is increasingly the fuel for completing meaningless tasks in offices all over the world. With tea, you might actually do something useful. Or at least not be deluded you're doing something useful.

And they're is hundreds of different blends of tea to choose from! I doubt there is one hundred different types of coffee :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

BX 19 wrote: »
    And they're is hundreds of different blends of tea to choose from! I doubt there is one hundred different types of coffee :pac:

And a thousand shades of brown, but just one black.

Raam wrote: »
    Euskaltel-Euskadi.

Awesome.. goodbye Orwell!

On the next TT I am going to be all Sir..

LS_Skinsuit_PEEWEE_Front_web.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭lennymc

I ended up getting a lavazza machine. Really good coffee from it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

On the next TT I am going to be all Sir..

LS_Skinsuit_PEEWEE_Front_web.jpg

You could even go out on your date with that rig?
    :]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

ebay job?

lennymc wrote: »
    I ended up getting a lavazza machine. Really good coffee from it.

Not jealous. At...hulk.jpg...all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

I think the Cycle Against Suicide people have been keeping up their training spins. Did the kit look anything like this?

Edit: BTW, I'm drinking a Caffe Latte at the moment. Am I breaking a rule or something? I feel like a renegade.

Thanks Dermot, I can't recall much of the jersey design, but it might have been this. Do you know if that's the place they meet?

• Advertisement

Thanks Dermot, I can't recall much of the jersey design, but it might have been this. Do you know if that's the place they meet?

I'm not sure where they meet but I've been encountering large groups of them on my weekend commutes since their event finished. I think they used to meet up in Phoenix Park and at Montrose, but that may have changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

BTW, I'm drinking a Caffe Latte at the moment. Am I breaking a rule or something? I feel like a renegade.

At 1.35pm? What the hell is wrong with you?

Lumen wrote: »
    At 1.35pm? What the hell is wrong with you?

I knew deep down it couldn't be right. I'm having my second one in a mug so nobody knows what I'm doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

BX 19 wrote: »
    Nothing nicer than looking forward to a good cup of loose leaf tea while on a long spin. With a slice of cake.

Not sold of the coffee thing, but sure, whatever suits yourself.

Never really got into tea either, cake is something I can get behind though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

1500 quid for a balance bike! I don't love them that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Had a bit of a spill at the weekend, somehow managed to dent both 'Name Plates' on the tops of the changers (don't know the LHS got bashed as I fell onto my right side :confused:).

SL307C09.jpg

£25 EACH

Now that's a great big WTF?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Anyone have any idea how long it usually takes for an order to arrive from Evans? Ordered it earlier, won't be put through until tomorrow I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

988599_10151667764602359_489028489_n.jpg

Just brilliant!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Don't know if he was a Boardsie but mega thanks to the chap who lent my mate a tube on the seafront in Clontarf late last night. My good pal had punctured his spare tube and mine and was faced with a long enough walk home until his knight in shining armour arrived and offered assistant.

Many thanks who ever you were, we owe you one!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Don't know if he was a Boardsie but mega thanks to the chap who lent my mate a tube on the seafront in Clontarf late last night. My good pal had punctured his spare tube and mine and was faced with a long enough walk home until his knight in shining armour arrived and offered assistant.

Many thanks who ever you were, we owe you one!

Moral of the story:
    Bring a small repair kit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Seaneh wrote: »
    Moral of the story:
    Bring a small repair kit.

Good call, of course had he done the job properly the first time he would have been fine. Lesson learned.

Do something useful when you are turboing

I don't suppose people could tell a noob what his gearing ratio is from these photos?

20130528_115240.jpg?t=1369738472

20130528_115250.jpg?t=1369738453

And if they might have something to do with why I have such a hard time getting up the climb to Cruagh Wood?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I don't suppose people could tell a noob what his gearing ratio is from these photos?

20130528_115240.jpg?t=1369738472

20130528_115250.jpg?t=1369738453

And if they might have something to do with why I have such a hard time getting up the climb to Cruagh Wood?

Count the number of teeth...

Looks like a 39-23, but that's a shot in the dark.

You should really clean your bike too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

One for Astramonti. 64.8g, Dura Ace compatible:

181246_611324352225818_1118646692_n.jpg

that's a beauty. Probably costs as much as a brand new DA grouppo lol.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Count the number of teeth...

You should really clean your bike too.

Funny you should say that, it was when finally taking the bike out to clean it that I thought to take the photos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Funny you should say that, it was when finally taking the bike out to clean it that I thought to take the photos.

One should never let their bike get that dirty in the first place ;)

Zyzz wrote: »
    One should never let their bike get that dirty in the first place ;)

It came with that dirt on it.

Ironically I take much better care of my commuter because unlike the road bike I'm not afraid to touch it!

• Advertisement

manafana here is something for you:

cool_customisable_bicycle_wheels_that_light_up_17.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

DirkVoodoo wrote: »

Looks like a 25 on the back (6 teeth seem to cover slightly less that 90 degrees) but, OP, as Dirk says just count them.

39-25 is still a tough enough granny gear if you're not reasonably strong but it costs less to HTFU than to attack your drivetrain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Looks like a 25 on the back (6 teeth seem to cover slightly less that 90 degrees) but, OP, as Dirk says just count them.

39-25 is still a tough enough granny gear if you're not reasonably strong but it costs less to HTFU than to attack your drivetrain.

Sir, Brad of Wigginton got dropped in the Giro with a 39-25 lowest gear.

Yarb.

It's a 25. At least I can tell myself that's why other people seem to be able to just glide up that hill while I'm out of the saddle pumping away (the occasional excuse is good for morale!).

Also, the bike is soooo Red now that it's clean. Next up is replacing the cables, which I've done on the commuter (with drops) but am still scared to do on the roadbike.

Ahh so it's considered tough with a with a granny of 42-28 then. I'm not that bad at all. :D

Pebble dash walls are nasty.

That guy needs to work on his fitness

Hmmzis wrote: »
    Pebble dash walls are nasty.

How did you find that out?

How did you find that out?

Cycled (more like flew at that point) into one, now wating for the doc to check my wrist. Bloody and sore, shifting gears in the car was almost impossible.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement