Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Hmmzis wrote: »
    Cycled (more like flew at that point) into one, now wating for the doc to check my wrist. Bloody and sore, shifting gears in the car was almost impossible.

Ouch! Fingers crossed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

London on cycle couriers on BBC

.....not bad for a 49 year old, there's hope for me yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Jawgap wrote: »
    London on cycle couriers on BBC

.....not bad for a 49 year old, there's hope for me yet.
    Fair play, he looks like he's in his 30s.

Though, in that BBC piece
    It is a dangerous and hazardous job. Nine couriers have been killed on London's streets, and because of the obvious risks couriers find it impossible to get life insurance.
    I assume they mean nine couriers ever not nine couriers this year. Either that sentence about life insurance is a myth, just made up, or the insurance companies are way overreacting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Somewhat appropriate that summer has coincided with national fish & chip day.

A spin to Howth and a fish supper is called for methinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

ROK ON wrote: »

Local boards tradition is that a full fish and chips must be consumed while taking on Howth hill :pac:

Zyzz wrote: »
    Local boards tradition is that a full fish and chips must be consumed while taking on Howth hill :pac:

Salt, vinegar and right at the church.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

ROK ON wrote: »

going get home for Ireland game tonight, but spin Thursday? take on your nemesis cruagh road?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Made me laugh... (Courtesy of RacoonQueen on twitter)

Started off so promising... http://t.co/4zjRdTIEf5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

Not too sure if the mods will be OK with this but I'll give it a go!
    Apologies too anyone looking for me the last few days and letting a lot of people down in the last few weeks, I've been in fairly bad health for a few weeks now so have been in and out of work a lot, I really can't apologize enough but it's been out of my control, it all seems to be sorted now but there is a huge amount of catching up so please bare with me, I really hate letting anyone down but I've had to! Sorry once again as boardsies are the very last people I want to let down, couple of weeks to catch up and hopefully back to normal. Thanks for your understanding (if you do):pac:

Dara.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Holyboy wrote: »
    Not too sure if the mods will be OK with this but I'll give it a go!
    Apologies too anyone looking for me the last few days and letting a lot of people down in the last few weeks, I've been in fairly bad health for a few weeks now so have been in and out of work a lot, I really can't apologize enough but it's been out of my control, it all seems to be sorted now but there is a huge amount of catching up so please bare with me, I really hate letting anyone down but I've had to! Sorry once again as boardsies are the very last people I want to let down, couple of weeks to catch up and hopefully back to normal. Thanks for your understanding (if you do):pac:

Dara.

Main thing is that you're back in good health Holyboy! I'm sure everyone knows full well that you wouldn't let anyone down on purpose! Look after yourself pal ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Main thing is that you're back in good health Holyboy! I'm sure everyone knows full well that you wouldn't let anyone down on purpose! Look after yourself pal ;)

+1 on that Dara, here's to a speedy recovery from whatever ails you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Holyboy wrote: »
    Thanks for your understanding (if you do):pac:

For a discount I can be more understanding :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Good to see it taken seriously in some places.

8885300424_06e5608736.jpg
    Untitled by couerdelion73

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

I had the brilliant idea to go running yesterday after a spin. I managed to strain my calf in such way that I can barely walk now :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

AstraMonti wrote: »
    I had the brilliant idea to go running yesterday after a spin. I managed to strain my calf in such way that I can barely walk now :mad:

And that's why running is bad m'kay

LOL I even read that with a south park voice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

I had the brilliant idea to go running yesterday after a spin.
    there is your problem there. Didnt lusk doyle take up that running malarky - no one has heard from him since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Now the evil 200 will be..

..really evil.

david_caruso_sunglasses.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Plastik

Sportive goodybags ... those real low grade bags where the arm straps double as the drawstring for the top, does anyone know where I might pick one of those up at lunchtime in D1?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭buffalo

Plastik wrote: »
    Sportive goodybags ... those real low grade bags where the arm straps double as the drawstring for the top, does anyone know where I might pick one of those up at lunchtime in D1?

Elvery's on Suffolk St usually have cheap ones if you can make a trip to D2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Plastik

€4 in Dunnes! Job done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Running's fine once you're careful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

The only good thing you can say about running is that at least it's not rollerblading!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

Running's fine once you're careful.

...and you're not carrying scissors.

MediaMan wrote: »
    ...and you're not carrying scissors.

Sigh, obviously.... Sigh:rolleyes:

On a more serious note, I find it hilarious how many road cyclists refuse to do anything bar cycling, no running cos it'll injure you, no weights cos it'll make you "big", no swimming cos you'll get wet, no soccer cos... well, soccer is really a magnet for injuries to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

On a more serious note, I find it hilarious how many road cyclists refuse to do anything bar cycling, no running cos it'll injure you, no weights cos it'll make you "big", no swimming cos you'll get wet, no soccer cos... well, soccer is really a magnet for injuries to be fair.

I'm afraid to sit in case I damage my ass, so I just lie down, all the time!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Why run when I can cycle?

Run 5km, feel like im going to die.

Cycle 50km and feel, well, rather good really.

Seaneh wrote: »

You're doing it wrong.

You're doing it wrong.

Nah, I'm just not chasing Strava times :P

There are the hills... they make me feel like I'm going to die, but by the time I get down the other side I'm grand again!

• Advertisement

colm_gti wrote: »
    I'm afraid to sit in case I damage my ass, so I just lie down, all the time!

Weights'll help you sort that problem out.:o
    Seaneh wrote: »
    Why run when I can cycle?

Run 5km, feel like im going to die.

Cycle 50km - 1.5 hours

Run 5km - 23.5 minutes

I feel like dying after both, but one gets me home in time for duties.

Though I rarely feel like I'm going to poop myself on a spin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Jesus my LBS are incompetent. The aul fella went in for front axle cones and he comes back with rear ones. Explicitly told they were the right ones. Useless......

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Real question for any of these activities, is do you get much of a kick out of them? I cycle because I enjoy cycling, similarly wrestling and the odd bit of kick boxing and fencing. Running and weights are convenient, and can be challenging, but they're hardly a laugh a minute. I only do them to make me better at the things I enjoy doing. Doing lengths of a pool or machines in the gym for me are exercises of last resort, typically saved for business trips where I'm stuck in a hotel with bugger all else to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Dunno about running - always struck me as a means to an end more than anything else. Swimming is great in a warm sea.

My brother in law does winter swimming in the Irish sea. Every time I see him I say I must give that a go. Without flinching he says it's only cold when you can hear the fillings in your teeth ringing :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

I actually enjoy lifting weights, it's a nice pain;)
    Can't stand running though, it's too slow and boring!

Things I do when Im bored..

SVSyq0Q.jpg?1

So when you 're not bored, do you like.. paint gioconda or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

smacl wrote: »
    Real question for any of these activities, is do you get much of a kick out of them?
    That's pretty much it, isn't it?
    As Harry says, the big thing you can get out of running is that you can kill yourself in a much shorter time. Even the process of getting out for a run is easier than cycling because you have much less prep work to do.
    I still get a kick out of running mainly because, "Holy **** I can run 10km nonstop and still function for the rest of the day!", whereas for most of my life a 1km run would leave me dying and breathless for a good 10 minutes afterwards. I can recall even jogging to the bus and by the time you get there, you start sweating. Which is not a good start to the day. 2 weeks ago I made a 200m sprint for the bus and recovered in about 30 seconds, no sweating or anything.

So there is something to be said for being able to run. That said, I think if I didn't have a garmin on my wrist I would find running less compelling, as I'm a bit of a stats whore. Cycling on the other hand I'll still enjoy it whether or not I'm timing myself. I don't find the same leisure aspect in running - you're either running to get fitter or you're running a race. You're never running because you want to get out and have a nice couple of hours to yourself.

Also cycle racing is more fun because you're competing against other people. Unless you're in the top 50 runners, you're always just competing against your personal best, not against other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Why do you always end up in commuter races when you are completely shagged. 3 on the way home yesterday. not fun

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

shaungil wrote: »
    Why do you always end up in commuter races when you are completely shagged. 3 on the way home yesterday. not fun
    Just don't get involved ;)

RobFowl wrote: »
    Just don't get involved ;)

Eh? Is that even possible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The trick is to find someone on their way to a club race and goad them into a commuter race so that they arrive at the race totally shagged whilst you luxuriate at home with a beer.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

^^
    Viz tip? :)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,652 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Thought you'd hung up the cleats and were bulking up watching Rugby?:confused:

So when you 're not bored, do you like.. paint gioconda or something?

Something like that yeh, creative procrastination :cool:

ABvHLUg.jpg?1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

Never heard this?

If you're standing, sit down. If you're sitting down, lie down. Above all else, always avoid stairs.

ABvHLUg.jpg?1

Hey, that looks like a girl from the church I used to go to on Pearse Street...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

ABvHLUg.jpg?1

Good stuff. The pride of Bray (swoon).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Two kids on BMXs politely got out of my way when one of them noticed me pootling along patiently behind him this afternoon.

I thought that was rather cool of them.

A km or so further on a Mr. Safety-Commuter undertook me when I was taking off at lights and nearly rammed me into traffic.

That was less cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Well I ain't one of those cyclists you refer to anyways! It took some doing but with Cycling being my primary sport atm, I am now the proud owner of a very svelte 4-pack :) Weight-loss and Body-toning are Great Mood Boosters!
    Two kids on BMXs politely got out of my way when one of them noticed me pootling along patiently behind him this afternoon.

I thought that was rather cool of them.

A km or so further on a Mr. Safety-Commuter undertook me when I was taking off at lights and nearly rammed me into traffic.

That was less cool.

I find kids to be very polite when I meet them out cycling. Cycling through a village yesterday as the schools finished early a group of them all stopped to allow me go through the pedestrian crossing before they cross, but instead, I beckoned them to cross and stopped to allow them all cross. They had right of way, but all felt like stopping to allow me pass and not actually have me stop. All I could do was smile as each of them said Thanks as they passed in-front of me on the crossing!

I was cycling another day when I saw this young guy on his bmx up ahead so I slowed right now. He turned around and saw me and tried upping his speed with his little legs flying round n roun but I just could not go any slower or I'd be stationery and ended up passing him. Felt awful cycling past him for some reason :o

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement