Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Lumen wrote: »
    The trick is to find someone on their way to a club race and goad them into a commuter race so that they arrive at the race totally shagged whilst you luxuriate at home with a beer.
    That is a good plan but I go to slimming world on a Wednesday in Beastry demense so can't cycle that day. also not a huge number of lub league races in this neck of the woods these days. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

daragh_ wrote: »
    Good stuff. The pride of Bray (swoon).

I had planned to go to that return party that was held for her to get it signed..little did I realise the amount of people that actually turned up :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,293 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

kerry4sam wrote: »
    I find kids to be very polite when I meet them out cycling.

Having heard tales of the school my sister used to teach in, down in Kerry, it is my opinioin that Kerry children are better mannered and polite than their distant relations in the capital (ducks head, and awaits angry parents).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭rollingscone

CramCycle wrote: »
    Having heard tales of the school my sister used to teach in, down in Kerry, it is my opinioin that Kerry children are better mannered and polite than their distant relations in the capital (ducks head, and awaits angry parents).

Yet they'll still grow up to vote for a Healy Rae

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

CramCycle wrote: »

My wife will be pleased - justifies moving from the big smoke to the Kingdom.
    I find my kids incredibly cheeky however, that is obviously down to the fact that they were born in Dublin.

Wow. Im in stitches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

WTF! :eek:

Spotted this chap this morning in Blackrock (Co Dublin). He managed to negotiate several busy junctions by finding a lamp post to hold or went around in circles at the top of the queue.

.....and some people find ordinary clipless pedals to be difficult at junctions. :D

CIMG1833_zps3780075d.jpg

CIMG1831_zps050212eb.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

On holiday in achill at the moment, roads and views are amazing. It is somewhat spoiled by the absolute POS bikes they rent out. No control of gears, along with always-on brakes. Definitely coming back here with my own bike in a few months.

Today was the first day in quite some while that I haven't driven my car. Back a year ago I was putting petrol in maybe once a month, but now it's weekly unfortunately due to what I feel is too long for a daily commute by bike. Feels great to give it a rest!

Now, beer time.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 sumone

WTF! :eek:

Spotted this chap this morning in Blackrock (Co Dublin). He managed to negotiate several busy junctions by finding a lamp post to hold or went around in circles at the top of the queue.

.....and some people find ordinary clipless pedals to be difficult at junctions. :D

CIMG1833_zps3780075d.jpg

CIMG1831_zps050212eb.jpg

Apparently he's planning to cycle that to Marseilles!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

sumone wrote: »
    Apparently he's planning to cycle that to Marseilles!
    Keep us posted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Anyone know any good bikeshops in Sofia where I might be able to pick up a set of 26mm clamp diameter drop handlebars for cheap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

The suntour of old seem to be rising from the ashes....

Now known as SunXcd

http://sunxcd.net/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

What have you done to me Ireland? I wasn't overly busy at work so I said I am going out for a spin (aka it's too sunny to stay inside). Shorts, jersey shoes and out, no baselayer or overshoes or any sort of stuff. 22C and I was thinking this is getting a bit too warm! I used to wear a jumper and a jacket at 22C :D Joking aside, Ireland is nothing sort of amazing in a sunny day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

AstraMonti wrote: »
    What have you done to me Ireland? I wasn't overly busy at work so I said I am going out for a spin (aka it's too sunny to stay inside). Shorts, jersey shoes and out, no baselayer or overshoes or any sort of stuff. 22C and I was thinking this is getting a bit too warm! I used to wear a jumper and a jacket at 22C :D Joking aside, Ireland is nothing sort of amazing in a sunny day.

Im just back from a grogeous morning spin to Molls Gap, Ladies View and back. The last time I wore this little on a bike it was July in the south of France.

We should gather for a spin up this. http://app.strava.com/segments/623325

56.5kms uphill :eek::eek::eek: Imagine the descend :D

Trying to justify the farmers tan ill have after a spin in this weather :|

Imagine the ascend :eek: KOM is over 2 and a half hours of constant climbing!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

Beasty wrote: »
    Thought you'd hung up the cleats and were bulking up watching Rugby?:confused:

Shaungil is now what's known as a 'fair weather cyclist'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

Was just looking at Pyrenean climbs and was surprised to see that many of them start at well above sea level, knocking 300-400m off the summit heights. Must plan a trip to Maui instead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

This is an interesting read, of how someone took what many might consider an odd approach to starting a bike shop, or any business in fact, but how it proved a success on a number of different levels.

We bought our child trailer from his shop, and experienced the author's approach to dealing with customers first-hand. It was like a breath of fresh air after many years of dealing with the often jaded and hassled staff of Dublin bike shops. It reminded me of what I always thought dealing with a bike shop should really be like. It all stemmed from his optimistic outlook and friendly nature, he managed to be a businessman and a nice guy at the same time, which is no mean feat.

By coincidence I was dealing with him around the time he was planning to leave Ireland and he offered me an opportunity to buy out his share in the shop. It didn't seem really practical for me at the time, especially with a young family, but several years on, sitting here at the same desk and more fed up of my office job than I ever imagined I could be I kinda wish I'd thrown caution to the wind and given it a go. …right, time to wrap my inner sorrowful hippy back up in a thin veneer of professionalism, adopt my office drone face, and get back to work, the increasingly annoying open-plan office background noise of clicky keyboards needs my contribution. Tap. Tap. Feckin'. Tap. Can someone get rid of that distracting shining sun outside, it's negatively impacting on office productivity, m'kay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Sun is after beating me, just can't decide between fixie and road bike for recovery spin....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Crisis management fail. The kid is a legend LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭buffalo

Something about this bumper sticker appeals to me...

Communists%2BBumper%2BSticker%2BURL%2B%2528clear%2529.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

So I got a pack of High5 nutrition stuff. It seems some of the marketing speel on the some of the packaging of bars has been 'blacked' out. Is what they say on the packaging been proven wrong or can they not use certain buzz words to market their products in some countries?

256894.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

^^^ May or may not contain traces of EPO and awesomeness.

That picture is too small..I can't see what it says so I can't comment..

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

ford2600 wrote: »
    Sun is after beating me, just can't decide between fixie and road bike for recovery spin....

Doffing about in the sun on a fixie is real pleasure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭rollingscone

So many more RLJers out there today.

Raaaaaaaaage headache.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

tomasrojo wrote: »

... and the totalitarians running the city have 'begrimed' the streets with shiny blue law-breaking bicycles! :eek:

It must be true because these Murdoch-droids say so:

darjeeling wrote:
    ... and the totalitarians running the city have 'begrimed' the streets with shiny blue law-breaking bicycles!

It must be true because these Murdoch-droids say so:

Is that report/interview really serious or just some sort of parody? If the former then they make some of the anti-cycling nutcases on this side of the water look positively moderate.

Interesting article here on the Campagnolo factory in Vicenza, including photos of some of the manufacturing and testing processes.
    The EPS electronic group is tested at both low and high temperatures and in the wet. The tests ensure that it offers flawless performance at 14 degrees to 122 degrees Fahrenheit. The battery is tested to ensure that it holds a charge from -4 degrees to 176 degrees. Test machines simulate riding in water and mud, and electronic components must be able to run continuously for a week underwater before they pass inspection.

Campagnolo test engineers can mimic six months of riding on an entire bicycle drivetrain in only two days in the lab. The tests are entirely objective, and Campagnolo tests its own components as well as SRAM and Shimano components this way.

And for those with deep pockets that love all things Italian:
    The Campagnolo Experience starts in Rome on Sunday, October 13 with the Granfondo Campagnolo Roma, in which riders will pedal past the Coliseum and through the Castelli Romani hills on roads completely closed to traffic. Then, along with Thomson Bike Tours, riders will head north for four days on a fully supported, 800-kilometer ride through the Apennines to Vicenza. On October 18, they will wander the hallowed ground of the Campagnolo factory floor.

Thing is, that experience is only open to 30 riders shelling out $3,000 each plus airfare. So I’ll share my recent factory tour with the rest of you.

:D and :eek: (but mostly :eek: according to my pockets).

Some interesting tips on cycling with children, including this useful graphic:

riding-with-children-01-600x373.png

That's one of a number of sites linked to from the Facebook page of i am Traffic, some of which is also worth a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,838 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Those Murdoch drones really know their stuff.

"The bike lobby is an all-powerful enterprise."

Again, The Protocol of the Elders of Shimano rears its ugly head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

doozerie wrote: »
    Is that report/interview really serious or just some sort of parody? If the former then they make some of the anti-cycling nutcases on this side of the water look positively moderate.

I never know how much to recalibrate when listening to US conservative media hacks. I suppose in this case they are dealing with the three-headed horror of Republican apostate Mayor Bloomberg, bicycles and sharing things, so extreme measures are needed; 'Death by bicycle' it is, then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Lunchtime ruined. Had to shoulder my way through a crowd of Boardsies just to buy some CO2 in my LBS. Bloody Cyclists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Has anyone here ever gone full Casper; white shoes, socks, jersey, and helmet?

Could be on the cards tonight :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

el tel wrote: »

Do I need answer that?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Yep. Did it for the first time this year a few weeks ago. You don't get the opportunity often in Ireland.

• Advertisement

As long as your legs are shaved you ll be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

As long as your legs are shaved you ll be grand.

Absolutely, with my tan now faded the white legs will complete the look :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Almost, with my largely white Bretagne shorts and jersey and socks/shoes but pale silver helmet

Looked a right twat but wtf :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

daragh_ wrote: »
    Lunchtime ruined. Had to shoulder my way through a crowd of Boardsies just to buy some CO2 in my LBS. Bloody Cyclists.

....and I was thinking of a group buy in a week or two as I am down to my last 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Freds, the lot of yis!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

bcmf wrote: »
    ....and I was thinking of a group buy in a week or two as I am down to my last 2.

Will keep an eye out for the thread. I'm in.

Fair dues to anyone cycling in this weather..can't justify the farmers tan :pac:

Zyzz wrote: »
    Fair dues to anyone cycling in this weather..can't justify the farmers tan :pac:

mind-blown-2.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Zyzz wrote: »

WTF???

• Advertisement

nwld.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement