Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Junior wrote: »
    One for RobFowl - seems as if God rides a Terry Dolan Frame

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BNMXbqLCQAEWZEZ.jpg:large

Could be. It's the right colour.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Junior wrote: »
    One for RobFowl - seems as if God rides a Terry Dolan Frame

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BNMXbqLCQAEWZEZ.jpg:large

It's to do with this ride in memory of Bill Shankly I suspect
    http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/robbie-fowler-join-charity-bike-4031091

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

I found this article on stickybottle from Pat Mcquaid's brother a bit odd...

Some quotes:
    I have kept abreast of the ongoing situation, mostly through Stickybottle and Cyclingnews.

I don’t, and won’t, do either Facebook or Twitter. My opinion on those whose lives are run through these social media forums is best kept to myself.
    These days, it annoys me that where once we were known as a country that could produce successful cyclists, now we are known as a country that can produce successful journalists who make a nice living from bringing our sport down.
    He[Pat] was always going to be in a no-win situation, mostly because of the changed face of modern life and the influence of the internet. He has not done a perfect job, and has his faults. Don’t we all.

Do any of the G8 leaders who were in Enniskillen this week do a perfect job?

But it is so easy to sit at a keyboard and criticise, especially when you can do so under a pseudonym.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

AIR-AUSSIE wrote: »
    I found this article on stickybottle from Pat Mcquaid's brother a bit odd...

Some quotes:

But it is so easy to sit at a keyboard and criticise, especially when you can do so under a pseudonym.

@ConorTMcGrane
    @moran_anto

Both fairly crap pseudonyms!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Did anyone see Orica Green Edge that they hired an olympic bob sleigher to push Meyer when he switched bikes on the Suisse TT..

Amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Zyzz wrote: »
    Did anyone see Orica Green Edge that they hired an olympic bob sleigher to push Meyer when he switched bikes on the Suisse TT..

Amazing.
    I love how the lads are just in complete awe after he does it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

hahaha kudos to the guy who thought of hiring an olympic bob sleigher for this thing!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Just under 12 months to go until I get my next bike under the Cycle to Work Scheme......

......time to start perusing........

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Jawgap wrote: »
    When planning to land a major army group in France, it's important not to forget the bikes.......

British commandos were given bicycles for D-Day, I don't think they were overly popular as they're not very practical for advancing in war safely. The guy at the front in this photo is Ronald "Dixie" Dean, who landed on Sword beach and was shot dead entering the village of Amfreville. The bicycle allowed the commandos to get to the advanced parties that had dropped into France the night before quicker and not leave them isolated.

BSA_airborne_Everest_Carrier_RM_1944_full.jpg

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

And not a helmet in sight -that's not promoting safe bicycling at all!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

They're wearing berets as they're going to drop into France disguised as Onion Johnnys. They were queuing up to get their onions in this photo.

may not be remotely accurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Just under 12 months to go until I get my next bike under the Cycle to Work Scheme........

Should be just enough time to get the minister to sign the revocation order... :D

They're wearing berets as they're going to drop into France disguised as Onion Johnnys. They were queuing up to get their onions in this photo.
    may not be remotely accurate.

I can confirm. I was an onion.

Is this more to your liking:)

The commando has the BSA folding bike which the airborne forces also used.....

BSA_Commando_colour_drawing.jpg

During "De Emergency" the Irish Army had 19 Bicycle Squadrons listed in its order of battle - personally I think 19 squadrons of Spitfires or 19 squadrons of tanks would have been a bit more useful :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭dogsears

I love the one leg, no hands, backwards wheelie - about 3:30 - but compared to the rest of it, it seems ... easy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

That chap with the commuter cam in todays IT.

http://bcove.me/bjgshxr7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

ror_74 wrote: »

I wouldn't normally be a fan of that sort of thing, but this one example of his is mental. I'm surprised he was so calm.

Lumen wrote: »
    I wouldn't normally be a fan of that sort of thing, but this[RL] one example of his is mental. I'm surprised he was so calm.

Seen that a few times..crazy :eek:

Definitely would have given the wing mirror a knock..and then sadly lose the footage..

Is this more to your liking:)

The commando has the BSA folding bike which the airborne forces also used.....

During "De Emergency" the Irish Army had 19 Bicycle Squadrons listed in its order of battle - personally I think 19 squadrons of Spitfires or 19 squadrons of tanks would have been a bit more useful :D

Bikes and hurleys served us well against the British and probably would have been just as effective against the nazis.

ror_74 wrote: »

Knew I recognised that voice and those videos - cyclingvillage used to be deadlyspot......

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056658432

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I'm currently sitting in work and about to have a snack. I'll be doing the ICL hill climb TT tonight and my plan is to have some food now, including a banana, and bring a banana along with me to the TT ('cos nothing livens up a hill climb more than leaving a trail of undigested banana in your wake). Anyway, I find myself struggling to determine which is the bigger of the two bananas, I want to keep the smaller one for this evening's regurgitation. It's proving very tricky.

…is this what my shocked family meant when they said "No good will come of this!" as they reeled from their first sight of me in lycra cycling kit all those years ago?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,293 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

doozerie wrote: »
    Anyway, I find myself struggling to determine which is the bigger of the two bananas, I want to keep the smaller one for this evening's regurgitation. It's proving very tricky.

…is this what my shocked family meant when they said "No good will come of this!" as they reeled from their first sight of me in lycra cycling kit all those years ago?

I'll call the men in white coats, should they pick you up at sign on or would it be easier to meet you half way up the hill :pac:

CramCycle wrote:
    I'll call the men in white coats, should they pick you up at sign on or would it be easier to meet you half way up the hill :pac:

Ooh, medical professionals, have them meet me at sign-on where they can inject me with the banana intravenously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Just home from my first ever TT, with Wexford Tri club. Absolutely brilliant fun, looking forward to doing it all over again. Finished very respectably, despite (here come the excuses) getting LOST and losing somewhere around 3 or 4 minutes.

My time over the flattish 20km was 41.05, probably would've gotten in at around 37.30 if I'd known where the finish was. Still had a great time, would strongly recommend it to anyone who wants to improve their training or dip their toe into racing for the first time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Just home from my first ever TT, with Wexford Tri club. Absolutely brilliant fun, l
    You're doing it wrong

Diarmuid wrote: »
    You're doing it wrong

I had a feeling someone would say that...No! I cycle to enjoy myself! Finished around the middle, all I wanted was to not finish last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭rob w

I heard an ad on Newstalk today on my home....around 7.30 or so. It was for bike rack for a car, 29.99 delivered from micksgarage.ie!! Checked the website but cant find anything like that....did anyone else hear the ad or am I just imagining it!!!:confused:

Lumen wrote: »
    I wouldn't normally be a fan of that sort of thing, but this one example of his is mental. I'm surprised he was so calm.

I've said it all along where possible, I've known him for a while and he's seriously a remarkably calm and nice guy. That video that went viral just happened to be that one video where he lost his cool, Murphy's law.

And yeah, he used to be called Deadlyspot.

Finished around the middle, all I wanted was to not finish last.
    Heh. With my first TT, all I wanted was to finish...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Did my first proper TT yesterday. Was a nice evening for it, no wind and no rain (almost). While I did beat my target time of 25min for the 16k (23:57 official time, strava says 23:34 ICL TT segment), after the finish I felt a bit dissatisfied with how I performed. I think I was holding back too much at the end of the outbound leg and definitely not going close enough to my limits on the return. I might have stumbled into the opposite pacing ditch from what I had when I started cycling. Instead of going hard from the start and killing myslef at the finish now I'm holding back a bit at the beginning but am failing to increase the pace later on. I had still plenty in the tank left after the finish, very peed off now with myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

Same here Hmmzis, in my head from the start I was thinking, "You have 16km, hold back a bit, you'll need it in the tank". Then, "You still have 8km to go, don't go mad". Then 5, 4, 3 and by the time to get to 2km left "Oh I still have stuff in the tank", but at that stage by hammering it you're not going to be able shave much more than a few seconds off your final time. I also came upon a traffic jam which interrupted my rhythm a bit, but only lost a couple of seconds.

For the shorter 5km at the start of the season, I gave it a test run the week before, so I knew what I had to do and I murdered myself on it. Last night I hadn't done TT at that distance before, so had to guess at pacing and couldn't feel it in my legs this morning; a sure sign that I didn't go hard enough. Lesson learned; before the 25 mile TT I need to find a good 25 mile segment in Wicklow somewhere and hit it hard to see what I can do.

I managed to push myself much harder over nearly the same distance chasing you in Corkagh last week. I'd love to do that TT again next week. buffalo, can we get a do-over? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

The first Tour de Congo has started:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-22965840

Hmmzis wrote: »
    Did my first proper TT yesterday. Was a nice evening for it, no wind and no rain (almost). While I did beat my target time of 25min for the 16k (23:57 official time, strava says 23:34 ICL TT segment), after the finish I felt a bit dissatisfied with how I performed. I think I was holding back too much at the end of the outbound leg and definitely not going close enough to my limits on the return. I might have stumbled into the opposite pacing ditch from what I had when I started cycling. Instead of going hard from the start and killing myslef at the finish now I'm holding back a bit at the beginning but am failing to increase the pace later on. I had still plenty in the tank left after the finish, very peed off now with myself.
    seamus wrote: »
    Same here Hmmzis, in my head from the start I was thinking, "You have 16km, hold back a bit, you'll need it in the tank". Then, "You still have 8km to go, don't go mad". Then 5, 4, 3 and by the time to get to 2km left "Oh I still have stuff in the tank", but at that stage by hammering it you're not going to be able shave much more than a few seconds off your final time. I also came upon a traffic jam which interrupted my rhythm a bit, but only lost a couple of seconds.

For the shorter 5km at the start of the season, I gave it a test run the week before, so I knew what I had to do and I murdered myself on it. Last night I hadn't done TT at that distance before, so had to guess at pacing and couldn't feel it in my legs this morning; a sure sign that I didn't go hard enough. Lesson learned; before the 25 mile TT I need to find a good 25 mile segment in Wicklow somewhere and hit it hard to see what I can do.

I managed to push myself much harder over nearly the same distance chasing you in Corkagh last week. I'd love to do that TT again next week. buffalo, can we get a do-over? :p

Well done guys, TTs are always a good fun. I managed to break my PR by a minute and a half but still way down on the general timing. Would be interested to see what I can do if I ever decide to do a structured training (or just training lol). What was surprising and weird is that I had the same avg speed as I had on the 25m TT last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

I posted somewhere on this Forum recently about Cyclists on Paths and how I don't see much of it and that detractors of cycling must all be exagerating. I must now retract that statement. Since that post not a journey has gone by without witnessing cyclists merrily flying along narrow paths often for no apparent reason other than being an ársehole and occasionally because the perpetrator is clearly uncomfortable cycling on the road with traffic. I don't see either as being a valid excuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

At the Club League on Weds the topic of conversation was GP4000 Tyres. The fact that they had an arrow indicating the required orientation was mentioned, sure enough on checking both of mine were the wrong way round.

How much faster will I be when I rectify this? and should my club mates be worried about the performance boost when i visit Corkagh Park next weds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

This one is for the women of the forum. Looks like Henry Cavill was doing a bit of cycling during his man of steel background. You can see the bike, there in the background. Really, still can't see it? It's right there? Looks like he is running SRAM. On his bike, that one, right there!

945933_552334744812485_483805236_n.jpg

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,282 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Inquitus wrote: »
    and should my club mates be worried about the performance boost when i visit Corkagh Park next weds?
    Not really - the dope testers will be on hand ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭buffalo

seamus wrote: »

My strategy is to pick someone I know is about my ability, and what time they do, and work out the average speed, and then try hit that. If it's a headwind on one section, go slightly below, and with a tailwind, slightly above.

So last night I was ambitiously aiming for Eric Downey's top time of 22.52 (42..2kmph), and I managed 22.58. Looking at last year's 10m TT I did 25.06 (on a different course) to come home 5th Orwell, so to knock two and bit minutes off, and move up one spot, I'm happy.

As for the do-over, talk to Vlad! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭buffalo

At the Club League on Weds the topic of conversation was GP4000 Tyres. The fact that they had an arrow indicating the required orientation was mentioned, sure enough on checking both of mine were the wrong way round.

They do!?

• Advertisement

How much faster will I be when I rectify this?

You'll be faster going forwards but slower going backwards. Swings and roundabouts. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Judging by comments above re the TT and comments earlier this year it would seem that the appetite would exist for a midweek TT league, or at the very least more TTs in the club leagues that already exist. There was a reasonably large turnout last night it seemed.

I think future tts should have a mix of short and long flat TTs, hill climbs (long & shallow plus short &steep) as well as a technical downhill TT.

Enjoyed the TT but was in a lot of pain before during and after. Hamstring has been sore all week and is in utter agony now. That said did 15s better than last time despite not being able to get the cadence I wanted.
    HR relatively low as I couldn't go flat out.
    Out leg faster than last time but back leg slower. Overall 2% faster. Wanted to do 3.5% faster as a target.

Who was the lady who was taking the pics yesterday? Are they anywhere online?

AstraMonti wrote: »
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.471238456299381.1073741845.415488098541084&type=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

AstraMonti wrote: »

Ladies are readily available online, but you shouldn't search for them in work given your previous comments...

do-want-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-409.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

AYrFyje.jpg

hahaha that's a pisstake, it can't be real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

funkyjebus wrote: »
    AYrFyje.jpg

Shop looks interesting: http://a-hcykler.dk/

41kph* drafting a truck up Griffith Ave this morning. :cool:

Also, spotted father and daughter cycling along Griffith Ave yesterday with little brother relaxing in the child seat on dad's bike reading the paper**.

* It wouldn't go any faster...
    ** May have been a comic book.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement