Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Don't judge me!

And there was me thinking my mistake was the type of clothing I was wearing rather than my colour choice.

I would never have pegged the cycling forum as a destination for sartorial advice ;)

You're joking right? There have been full blown wars here over sock length.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

My tongue may have been firmly in cheek when I posted that comment

:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

ThisRegard wrote: »
    They didn't do a great job of promoting it did they? RacoonQueens post was the first I heard of it.

Only noticed it there during the week myself. Must've only put the storefront on recently...can't possibly have gone by it practically daily for nearly a year without seeing it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Sock height.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭BofaDeezNuhtz

On Extreme Sports channel now 'Ride The Divide'

Worlds toughest mountain bike race 2,700 miles thru the Rocky Mountains.

About an hour left...

I want more bikes please...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

In a recent incident a van driver literally skimmed past a group of us at speed with his horn blaring. The first words that flew from his mouth when I approached him afterwards were "cyclists don't pay road tax". One of our group has sent me on a photo that he took at the time showing that the van's displayed tax and insurance discs are over a year out of date. Oops! More fuel for the karma fairies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,032 ✭✭✭furiousox

Quick question.
    I'm a trim 85kg and running 23mm michelin pro 3s @ 100psi
    I've got myself a new pair of pro 4s @25mm
    What's the recommended psi for 25mm tyres, is it lower than 23mm tyres?

CPL 593H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

furiousox wrote: »
    Quick question.

Google tyre pressure chart.

Your wheel load is what you want to know.
    Bike+you+accessories. More weight on back.

At a guess 90 on front close to 100 on back

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,293 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

furiousox wrote: »
    Quick question.

It should be printed on the side wall but I don't think there is any difference. I am the same weight and I pump my 25s upto 120psi. Mine are 100 recommended but 120 max.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I go between 90 and 100 for 25mm tyres. For that velvety soft feeling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I'm closer to 90kg and I pump 25mms to 110. Found 120 to be way too hard.

Views differ on tyre pressure but traditionally people believed higher pressure was better (i.e. faster). In recent years though that view has been challenged by various studies and the trend amongst many is to use lower pressure. For what it's worth, here is a simple guide from Michelin, though not all such guides agree either:

pressurechart121405B.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Put latex tubes and you can run them even lower for extra plush effect.

• Advertisement

New York's bike docks are apparently proving very versatile. I like the bit about the kids "racing" on the docked bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

ThisRegard wrote: »

surprised dublin is as high as 11th, while much good work is being done to encourage people onto bikes id hope theirs alot more to be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

I enjoyed this little video, cant figure out if the accent is put on or not ?
    http://www.wimp.com/tourfrance/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Does anyone live IN Swords? I know there are Swords members, but I won't be able to get out there any time soon and I'm looking for a MASSIVE favour.

PM me for details!

Just spent 15 minutes ogling frames on Ribble. Does this way lie madness?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Just spent 15 minutes ogling frames on Ribble. Does this way lie madness?

Only if you don't buy one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭lennymc

Lumen wrote: »

im going out to try that tomorrow. expect an epic fail! At least ill be 14.3% more aero on the way down.

lennymc wrote: »

im going out to try that tomorrow. expect an epic fail! At least ill be 14.3% more aero on the way down.

As they load you into the ambulance you'll be screaming "Keep the helmet on, we'll get there faster!".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭buffalo

I've been doing those tests in Trinity of late, and I've learned a couple of things about myself.

Compared to August last year, I'm heavier (by about 2kg), have more body fat (13% vs 10.2%), my VO2 max is lower (64 down to 60.2), my lactate threshold is about the same (260W), and yet my season has been off the hook. Numbers aren't all that matter, it seems.

And when I write down what I actually eat day to day, there's a lot of packets of biscuits in there. Which explain why I'm so fat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

buffalo wrote: »
    I've been doing those tests in Trinity of late, and I've learned a couple of things about myself.

Compared to August last year, I'm heavier (by about 2kg), have more body fat (13% vs 10.2%), my VO2 max is lower (64 down to 60.2), my lactate threshold is about the same (260W), and yet my season has been off the hook. Numbers aren't all that matter, it seems.

And when I write down what I actually eat day to day, there's a lot of packets of biscuits in there. Which explain why I'm so fat.

Did you get tested in Trinity last year, or elsewhere?

colm_gti wrote: »
    Did you get tested in Trinity last year, or elsewhere?

Same.

Seeing as you know me in real life, I am going to warn you, 4 years ago I was in good shape (not hill climbing champion shape but not terrible either), then I went down the road you are on, and well, you've seen me, stay away from the biscuits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭lennymc

Mmmmmmm. Biscuits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Jeez, 13% body fat, that's impressive. I wish I was as "fat" as that :D.

• Advertisement

Compared to August last year, I'm heavier (by about 2kg), have more body fat (13% vs 10.2%), my VO2 max is lower (64 down to 60.2), my lactate threshold is about the same (260W)

VO2Max is per kg, so you're probably just fatter.

Since you're in oversharing mode, what's your current weight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

I've managed to kick the biscuit habit. Just don't have them in the house - ever - it's the easiest solution.

The 'habit' I'm trying to kick at the moment is Lidl Rice Crispies

flakes_crownfield_ricesnaps.jpg

I'm a fiend for them - I cut back from 2 bowls to 1 bowl before bed a couple of weeks ago, and none for breakfast, and now trying to kick the habit of that last bowl before bed.

I'm seriously thinking they've a hidden addictive ingredient in them. Maybe it's just the sugar, have cut out a lot of sugar in the diet.

Lumen wrote: »
    VO2Max is per kg, so you're probably just fatter.

Since you're in oversharing mode, what's your current weight?

Sharing is caring! Around the 61kg mark. Little less some days (60.x).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

joker77 wrote: »
    I've managed to kick the biscuit habit. Just don't have them in the house - ever - it's the easiest solution.

The 'habit' I'm trying to kick at the moment is Lidl Rice Crispies

I'm a fiend for them - I cut back from 2 bowls to 1 bowl before bed a couple of weeks ago, and none for breakfast, and now trying to kick the habit of that last bowl before bed.

I'm seriously thinking they've a hidden addictive ingredient in them. Maybe it's just the sugar, have cut out a lot of sugar in the diet.

Are you serious? they are filthy! I bought a box of them last week thinking now could mess up rice crispies but they did! they will be in the cupboard for a long long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Lots of meh about keys and stuff at the beginning but the idea that a stolen bike could be made findable by anyone with a smartphone and the right app is interesting. The tile doesn't look like it'd fit down a seattube in its current form factor but I bet it could be bodged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

niceonetom wrote: »
    The tile doesn't look like it'd fit down a seattube in its current form factor but I bet it could be bodged.

Your downtube obviously ain't big enough then -it'd easily go in by the bottom bracket on mine :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Your downtube obviously ain't big enough then -it'd easily go in by the bottom bracket on mine :cool:

My bottom bracket is bigger than yours!

bike mechanic could beat up your bike mechanic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

my gear ratio is bigger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Anyone gone down to Rothar for fixing your own bike? I need to remove a crankset and bb from a frame and put them on my new one when it arrives, but it's 20 quid in tools or 35 or so in the LBS. Rothar says it's a fiver an hour for the space and tools so if it's any use it'd be a good bit cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

BB30's just a fad, soon everyone will be back to good old BSA :p

my gear ratio is bigger

It's not the gear ratio (53-11 by the way) but how long and how hard you can keep spinning away before you red line.

joker77 wrote: »

I tried that, but every time I call to my Granny, my auntie fills my pockets with cake and biscuits.

WOE IS ME!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

New, this winter.......

1005734_549127798462127_1903148182_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

I tried that, but every time I call to my Granny, my auntie fills my pockets with cake and biscuits.

WOE IS ME!
    Woe is you indeed.

You're an A1 now, you've got a clear responsibility to either refuse the cakes/biscuits or throw them in the bin before they cross the threshold!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

stetyrrell wrote: »
    Anyone gone down to Rothar for fixing your own bike? I need to remove a crankset and bb from a frame and put them on my new one when it arrives, but it's 20 quid in tools or 35 or so in the LBS. Rothar says it's a fiver an hour for the space and tools so if it's any use it'd be a good bit cheaper.

I've done it to change a cassette and pedals.

I went to the Phibsboro one as I was told they'd a bit more space than the Fade street one. It was good - bike stand and all the tools I need, plus friendly folks to answer a couple of questions like 'how tight does this need to be'?

buffalo wrote:

From what I understand the results of such tests can be skewed by differing circumstances from one test to another, so unless you've made an effort to replicate your diet, rest, timing of the test, etc., from one test to another then comparisons between the results might not be very meaningful. Which is the primary reason for being asked to keep a record of what you've eaten in the 24 hours before the test, I believe, so that you can follow the same diet in the 24 hours before your next test.

So if you recreated the circumstances of your previous test as closely as possible perhaps your results would be different. Having said that, those recent figures above seem pretty good to me (based on my limited reading around this area) - your VO2 max is very high whichever of the two figures you use, and your W/kg figure looks pretty good too. Plus, of course, numbers can take a back seat to a willingness to suffer on the day of a race too so masochism can overcome what appears on paper to be a significant advantage by others - and if your musical taste is anything to go by, you've truly dedicated yourself to your masochism training :pac:

This is one of many online tables claiming to give accurate figures for typical VO2 max, I particularly like it for the reference to "now unknown sources" at the bottom - it's always reassuring when an apparently scientific claim is backed up with a supporting reference of "ehh, dunno, can't remember now where I got that data":

vo2-max-chart.jpg

@doozerie, my VO2Max was tested in the same lab last year at 61.6, with 10.8% bodyfat.

VO2Max is not a great distinguisher of awesomeness at this level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

What's that quote about Sean Kelly again? When he got tested his numbers were far from "Awesome" and he asked did it measure suffering.

Although I don't think I've seen a photo of you suffering, maybe eyes closed, grinning and helmet tilted back is your "pain" face?

I think the machine is broken!

Lumen wrote:
    VO2Max is not a great distinguisher of awesomeness at this level.

You're crushing my optimism here, my VO2Max figure was the only thing that ranked above "meh" when I did a performance test earlier this year, and I've been clinging to the miserable hope that this indicates untapped awesomeness ever since, despite significant evidence to the contrary (pffft, evidence, I laugh in its face).

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement